Almost completed my HT room.

Sidvee

A friend who dropped by made a useful suggestion-a bit late for me.He said you could use a laser pointer and a mirror to easily locate the points of reflection. I have a laser pointer at home but didnt think about using it. If it's not too late for you, try it out.

Sidvee

A friend who dropped by made a useful suggestion-a bit late for me.He said you could use a laser pointer and a mirror to easily locate the points of reflection. I have a laser pointer at home but didnt think about using it. If it's not too late for you, try it out.

Thanks George - Yes that is a great way. Actually for the first reflection points I plan to use this with a CAD drawing:

RealTraps - How To Set Up a Room

And for the second reflection points this little program is very useful.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=822273

Cheers,
Sid

Great Theater George. Looks really nice and a lot of progress from the days of our 1st Hifivision meet :)

Anilva

Spot on-I need to do something about the light coming in from the rear. I will first install the new larger screen and then see how much space I need to mask off the light coming in.

Isnt it simpler to just have some nice curtains for the full rear portion, which you can close during a movie session and draw it back when you are done? I think having the curtains at the back of the projector screen will also be vital esp. if you watch movies at daytime.

Yes, I agree. I need to figure out something to take care of this, but will do it only after I install my new screen, so that I know exactly how much area needs to be blocked off. It is possible that the new screen could block off light from one side, and I need to take care of only the other side.

George, we discussed this briefly when we met on Sunday. Install a black curtain (full height & width) behind your projection screen - to be used only while watching.

Santhosh

I'm going to ask you to spare some time to come over and help me set up the system using my Onkyo AVR. This is after I wire everything up, and hopefully install the new screen and centre the projector mount as well.

I'm going to look at the screen/curtain only after I do that. I also need to invest in some nice furniture-unfortunately the recliners are a bit too big( and pricey) given the size of the room, so have to look at something else. Maybe reduce the height of the main L-R stands. Finally a new rack for HT( and maybe another one there for 2 channel audio-if it doesnt clutter things up, and , and, and......

Santhosh

I'm going to ask you to spare some time to come over and help me set up the system using my Onkyo AVR. This is after I wire everything up, and hopefully install the new screen and centre the projector mount as well.
....Finally a new rack for HT( and maybe another one there for 2 channel audio-if it doesnt clutter things up, and , and, and......
Sure George, does next week work well for you? I am away on a holiday from Thursday to Saturday evening.

Yes, I agree. I need to figure out something to take care of this, but will do it only after I install my new screen, so that I know exactly how much area needs to be blocked off. It is possible that the new screen could block off light from one side, and I need to take care of only the other side.

George, we discussed this briefly when we met on Sunday. Install a black curtain (full height & width) behind your projection screen - to be used only while watching.

Congrats on your Setup Mr.George...:)

You can use double Curtain with black (thick- which can pulled while watching movie) and another one( not thick) matching you room color in front which can be installed very closely in rod. That will not spoil the room aesthetic while not watching the movie too.

Regards

double1.jpg

doublecurtainrod.jpg

Last edited:
Srini

Thanks, suggestion noted. At this time I will focus on getting the project completed, and then look at the screen. My need is to have the room doubling up as a lounge/ den and from that pov the second curtain my not be needed, since I need as much natural light as possible to enter the room.

Ideally a huge screen which when pulled down would have blocked off all the light would be the solution. Since that is impossible, I may need to figure out if the new Dalite screen can block off light from one said and do something minimal on the other, or have a screen like you suggested.

The light coming in around mid day is irritatingly bright while watching a movie, but most welcome if we have some guests! My guess is that movie watching any time after, say 5PM is a lot better and post 6 it's acceptable.

George,

The Door Bell - Switches

Since you are at wiring stage, i will like to share with you that the several switches which i have are with neon light, while watching the movie in dark, these neon's look wonderful.

In my case i have a dual bell with the switch and it's sound unit in my Mini Theatre so when i am watching a movie, i can hear the bell clearly otherwise it is impossible to know if someone is at the door especially when low frequencies are it's peak.

In your situation would you require the dual bell?

V.

Last edited:
Hi george,

A lovely set up indeed having been there I can quite imagine things now done up and components in their place. It's a great nook with a wonderful 'get-away' feel to it, just perfect for movies.

What do you do during the day though? Doesn't light stream down from the rear opening on top and illuminate the screen? Or are movies more of an evening thing?

Regards

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is a problem during the day time, but since at this time I am still working on various aspects of it, I consider it still a work in progress. Once my new screen is installed, and the wiring and internal lighting completed, I suspect I will need to address the back light issue. For now my movie watching is mostly a post 4PM event. Got to watch The King's Speech a couple of days ago and thoroughly enjoyed it.

George
Nice work! Looks very cool. :clapping:
FYI, I used Winers article and the mirror method to find the first points of reflection. I got two different points from these two methods. So, I covered both of them. BTW, you can use RoomEQ software to check out the acoustics. You need a sound meter for it. If you have an iphone, you can buy an app for it. I think Santosh uses the app.
When you are finished, I would like to drop in to check it out.

Vinay

My situation is that if a visitor rings the bell I can hear it clearly, but I have to press the pause button and go up the steps quickly, ( and in the process run out of breath) and check who has come.

I have a phone extension in my HT room so I dont need to run to the upper floor if the landline phone rings-only problem is that I havent yet got a wired handset connected there, hope to do it shortly!

Vinay

My situation is that if a visitor rings the bell I can hear it clearly, but I have to press the pause button and go up the steps quickly, ( and in the process run out of breath) and check who has come.

I have a phone extension in my HT room so I dont need to run to the upper floor if the landline phone rings-only problem is that I havent yet got a wired handset connected there, hope to do it shortly!

Then a door video phone (can be a DIY also) is a must for you.

Sajith

My laundry list( or maybe I should call it Bucket Lst) is not short-maybe I will invite you over to get some input for this project! I like Vinay's idea of backlit switches though, sound easier to do.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back