Almost completed my HT room.

GeorgeO

After a long and stressful journety( reminds me of the hit song by the Hollies in the 1960's-He Aint Heavy He's My Brother-it starts with the line

"Its a long long road, with many a winding turn, that takes us to, who knows where, who knows where"!

Anyway, when I started, I built my speakers(D'Appollito Audax HT speakers-there is an interesting thread on a similar build in AVS forum), and got a Panasonic PT 100 AE from the US for $1700, and an Onkyo entry level AVR.The problem was I had no space to install all of this, and no screen. I put everything into cold storage and then built a new house, with a basement as a den/lounge as well as for HT-this is not a dedicated HT room. As all of you know, a basement can only be built if planned in advance and my architect and I had long discussions before it became a reality, 16 X 12 1/2 ft.

Once this was done, I had a whole host of things to do to complete the house and along the way picked up an Emotive LMC1 prepro, built a Hypex 5 channel amp, got hold of an Optoma HD 20 HD projector( thanks Santhosh), and an Optoma screen-this is being upgraded with a new Dalite screen which is yet to be unpacked. I also got a Popcorn Hour B -200, and deployed one of my 12 inch powered subs in this room. I have a dedicated APC pure sine wave online UPS for this room.

Initially I plan to listen with 3 channels and will get my rear surround speakers a bit later. The power and speaker wiring is almost completed, and carpeting has been done for the room, along with wall panels using Anutone boards for acoustic absorption. The projector is ceiling mounted. I will plan to invest in the furniture as I go along.

I will post photographs over the weekend, since I am going out of town for a couple of days.

Initially tests are encouraging, the sound easily exceeds my expectations., watching BR movies on a a big screen is definitely light years better than my old 37 inch flat panel HD TV. I have to get the new screen mounted, get all the channels working, maybe do a bass trap or two etc, etc- its a long long road!!

After a long and stressful journety( reminds me of the hit song by the Hollies in the 1960's-He Aint Heavy He's My Brother-it starts with the line

"Its a long long road, with many a winding turn, that takes us to, who knows where, who knows where"!

Anyway, when I started, I built my speakers(D'Appollito Audax HT speakers-there is an interesting thread on a similar build in AVS forum), and got a Panasonic PT 100 AE from the US for $1700, and an Onkyo entry level AVR.The problem was I had no space to install all of this, and no screen. I put everything into cold storage and then built a new house, with a basement as a den/lounge as well as for HT-this is not a dedicated HT room. As all of you know, a basement can only be built if planned in advance and my architect and I had long discussions before it became a reality, 16 X 12 1/2 ft.

Once this was done, I had a whole host of things to do to complete the house and along the way picked up an Emotive LMC1 prepro, built a Hypex 5 channel amp, got hold of an Optoma HD 20 HD projector( thanks Santhosh), and an Optoma screen-this is being upgraded with a new Dalite screen which is yet to be unpacked. I also got a Popcorn Hour B -200, and deployed one of my 12 inch powered subs in this room. I have a dedicated APC pure sine wave online UPS for this room.

Initially I plan to listen with 3 channels and will get my rear surround speakers a bit later. The power and speaker wiring is almost completed, and carpeting has been done for the room, along with wall panels using Anutone boards for acoustic absorption. The projector is ceiling mounted. I will plan to invest in the furniture as I go along.

I will post photographs over the weekend, since I am going out of town for a couple of days.

Initially tests are encouraging, the sound easily exceeds my expectations., watching BR movies on a a big screen is definitely light years better than my old 37 inch flat panel HD TV. I have to get the new screen mounted, get all the channels working, maybe do a bass trap or two etc, etc- its a long long road!!
Request:-
Please post some pics sir
thanks in advance

Congrats George, I must commend the effort that has gone into this build. Indeed a long road it has been. Great to hear that you have progressed to completion(well almost) since I visited by ~2 weeks ago. Will drop by next week when you are back.

Once this was done, I had a whole host of things to do to complete the house and along the way picked up an Emotive LMC1 prepro, built a Hypex 5 channel amp, got hold of an Optoma HD 20 HD projector( thanks Santhosh), and an Optoma screen-this is being upgraded with a new Dalite screen which is yet to be unpacked.
Well, I did nothing except recommending you the Optoma HD20 since I own the same. Glad you liked it:)

I am leaving town early tomorrow morning and will be back in a couple of days, will definitely post pictures once I return, don't worry.

A funny story-we had a meeting at my house last week with some audio friends, and over a some refreshments the consensus that emerged was that none of the spouses know how to use our fancy gear. It only goes to prove the point that men are from Mars and women are from Venus!

Very true George, women just don't understand our AV gear! Let me narrate what happened to me a few months ago....

My wife calls me saying her friends were home and were interested in a demo of my Home Theater and she wanted me to guide her over the phone.

So I started telling her how to turn on the Pre-Processor.... multichannel amp.... the projector....the popcorn hour and its Menu Navigation et all. Finally after lot of frustration we got it to work and the movie of choice was played.

Phew!! The entire exercise had taken exactly 17 mins and I was relieved the tech support call was over.

2 mins later, my phone rings again and I my wife wants to know how to switch off everything as her friends really loved the HT...in just 2 mins:eek:.... I felt like banging my head!!

I am one of the few who have had the chance to see the set-up.
The Dalite screen though was lying packed ..... looked huge ..... 'should' be very close to an actual cinema experience when it comes up .... err .. down :licklips:

A funny story-we had a meeting at my house last week with some audio friends, and over a some refreshments the consensus that emerged was that none of the spouses know how to use our fancy gear. It only goes to prove the point that men are from Mars and women are from Venus!

First and foremost, Congrats George on your new HT!

On the gear vs. spouse matter, although the above generalization is almost true, I do have some female friends who are very inclined to audio and hifi in particular. My wife for example, single-handedly converted all my CD collection to FLAC and 320kpbs/cbr on her own. Thats a lot of music we are talking about, read TBs. She might not share the same music taste I have, but I was mighty impressed with her :) Even when her friends come over to hang out at our place during weekends, she knew her way around the plethora of cables, amps, sources and plasma; even if it was just to watch Sex in the City or Grey's Anatomy :rolleyes: Guess I'm blessed!

Wish the same was the case with our poor washing machine though, where she fried the control unit by plugging it to 220 instead of 110 :sad:

Cheers.

2 mins later, my phone rings again and I my wife wants to know how to switch off everything as her friends really loved the HT...in just 2 mins:eek:.... I felt like banging my head!!

I am sure it is the 2 mins that caught your goat ;)
Out of a lot of women (music lovers) I know, there is only one who has taken the effort to get herself a decent system. A dynaudio audience 40 speakers and Nad amp and cd player. All wired together with random cables. She has completely stopped playing cds. The amp is wired to her ipod.

There are a few who appreciate hi fidelity gear and what it can do to their music but will not buy because of fear of sarcasm and taunts from their peers.

Sad scenario :eek:

Indeed it is a tough and long drawn job to make a good home theater, but among the many problems is when some of them make the theater in piece meals and at times over a massive period of time. Further some of them go for a upgrade etc without attending the earlier issues where it was left half way etc.

I think It is always better to get the theater done at one go when the budget and timing is right.

V.

it is such a tough and long drawn job to get these things done. Congrats on putting things now in place.

Indeed it is a tough and long drawn job to make a good home theater, but among the many problems is when some of them make the theater in piece meals and at times over a massive period of time. Further some of them go for a upgrade etc without attending the earlier issues where it was left half way etc.

I think It is always better to get the theater done at one go when the budget and timing is right.

V.

I believe who goes in one shot for the Home theater were the persons who could not dedicate much time and want to enter to into the world of HT in one shot, so big shot and later it becomes an piece meal to revive/upgrade it.

Who goes on Piece Meal from initial are the guys who venture carefully and taste their music/movie with full heart.... Since upgraditis is common for all, so who goes on piece meal benifits out of that..:p While they end up on completing the HT they will have latest.:)

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back