Almost completed my HT room.

The first and third show the screen down and retracted. Pictures 5 and 6 show the wooden strip on the floor separating the terracotta tiles at the rear from the carpet in the HT room.This was fixed after a longitudinal slot was cut below to allow the speaker wires to be drwan through it for the main L-R and centre speakers.
The final picture shows the 5.1 wall plate to be fixed on the wall near the amp, I plan to use short interconnects from the amp to this, and use this as a distribution board to wire up each speaker.

I have taken a few more pcitures will try and upload them later.

George, Awesome awesome setup !!!! Looks out of the world....Is it ok if I come visit you sometime once I'm back in blore? Will definitely come with a bottle of Merlot or cabernet :))

Manny9

Welcome to come by and watch a movie and sip some wine!

grubyhalo

You're right, they are a bit high. They were originally on stands that were made before I built the house, now I plan to see what kind of spatial effects result after all the 5.1 channels are connected, before reducing the height to keep the tweeters at ear level-if I feel it sounds good I may not reduce the height. As it is, I am exceedingly happy with the sound. I also don't want to do anything until my seating is all done, to avoid any more redo.

The standard design that I follow for all my speakers-incl subs, is to have the corners moulded with timber, of a colour that contrasts with the veneer used for the front, rear and sides- giving them an art deco look. Some of the latest pictures show some of these details.

The second picture shows a sub with a passive radiator facing the screen and a plate amp mounted in a wooden enclosure sitting on top of it. The rack ( an old and crude one but functional nonetheless) sits behind it and is to be replaced in the short to medium term. This houses the Popcorn Hour, my NAS, a USB dock, an Emotive LMC 1 prepro, and a 2 channel amp, as well as my older Onkyo AVR.

The wall behind the screen (when retracted ) is gray granite, and I am uploading the final set of pictures, hopefully there are no duplicates from the earlier ones.

Last edited:
Uploading these pictures has been a bit of a task, so hopefully I wont be asked to send many more-in case any of you guys wants to know more, come on over, and see it!

I'm hoping that I can get all of it completed over the next couple of weeks, since this week with the Puja break coming up, is a write off in terms of getting my electrical guy over to finish the wiring.

The panels use Anutone boards, of 4 ft X 2 ft mounted on mdf frames, with Anutone's synth material glued behind the boards. I used a jute blended fabric to cover the wood wool boards, to make them look more aesthetic.

George - Awesome setup, I particularly liked the acoustic treatment boards. A few questions please:
1. When you say Anutone boards - are they standard 4'x2' boards that one can buy or were they custom built for you?
2. What is the synth material? Acoustic material?
3. Why were the boards mounted on mdf frames? For support - or to move them out from the walls to increase broadband absorption.
4. What is the thickness of the panels?
5. Where did you source the jute fabric? Did you check that they are acoustically transparent?
6. Do you know how low in the frequency range these panels will absorb?
Sorry for all these questions, as I mentioned in another thread I am helping build a fairly high end HT room for a close relative and I am researching acoustic panels which is a frustrating excercise as there are no proper dealers in India other than Anutone whom I can talk to.
Cheers,
Sid

1. Yes
2. Their website has tech specs on synth,let me check ti out and send youa link if possible.
3. MDF frames of 75 mm allowed me to stick the synth at the rear, and then cover each frame with fabric
4 Panels are appx 75mm thick since the Anutone board was about 25 mm thick, and I put about 50mm thickness of synth at the rear, so the MDF specified was 75 mm X 25mm
5. Sid, I wasnt able to do any real check for the acoustic transparency, went by what Praveen formerly of Anutone suggested. I dont know how low frequency these will absorb, though I am open to some bass traps later on.

You may want to talk to Praveen NS 94491 77669, who is now no longer with Anutone and does this kind of work. I as well as others on this forum who interacted with him found him both helpful and knowledgeable.

Sid

A little more:

The idea of frames was from Praveen's suggestion that I didnt need to cover the wall from end to end, since only the first, second and maybe third poinst of reflection on the sides needed to be treated, and also that I could leave the wall without any treatment for the first 3 feet from the floor. He suggested I treat the entire rear wall.
Since another friend had done something similar, and was happy with the results I followed his advice-saving some money was a bonus.

Hope this helps a bit!

George,

Great pictures. My only observation is that there is a lot of light behind the projection screen coming from the roof top opening. May be difficult to watch movies during day time. Another option is to install a black mask curtain behind the projection screen.

Cheers.

Sid

A little more:

The idea of frames was from Praveen's suggestion that I didnt need to cover the wall from end to end, since only the first, second and maybe third poinst of reflection on the sides needed to be treated, and also that I could leave the wall without any treatment for the first 3 feet from the floor. He suggested I treat the entire rear wall.
Since another friend had done something similar, and was happy with the results I followed his advice-saving some money was a bonus.

Hope this helps a bit!

Thanks a ton George! Actually it is good advice. I am working with a room that is 26' x 18' and am planning to compute the first, second & third reflection points on the side walls as well as the first reflection points on the ceiling and floor and make sure these are treated. Next I am treating all 4 corners with bass traps. Finally I am planning to diffuse the rear wall. That's it. - Maybe if the design allows I will put additional broadband traps on the wall behind the ctr. speaker. I will compute the rt60 and make sure it is below 0.5 sec for the specific frequencies. I have built 6-7 rooms in the US for my friends and relatives in this manner and all of them liked the sound vs treating the whole walls on all sides, which to their and my ears sounded too dead.
Cheers,
Sid

Anilva

Spot on-I need to do something about the light coming in from the rear. I will first install the new larger screen and then see how much space I need to mask off the light coming in.

Thanks Manoj

You guys in the US have access to many things that we here can drool about, but all things considered, we can do reasonably ok too.

That's true. We have access to many things here, lot more choices and the prices are invariably lower for most equipment equipment. But what you and other guys have achieved with limited availability of materials, equipment etc is awesome. Congratulations.

One suggestion. See if you can move the screen bit higher and along with it, the center speaker as well. If that's not an option, then after your seating is done, try to adjust speakers heights to get the LCR tweeter closure vertically.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back