Altec 2 ways

A 45 minute search in SP Road area with most of the well known hardware dealers didnt yield anything. Ditto in Chennai through a friend who has a friend who is a dealer for big fastener brands.

I have a problem-the screws for fixing the diaphragm are missing on the compression driver. I need 6 for each driver and these are not easily available in Bangalore or Chennai.The siize is #6 X 32. So you can say that I am {literally} screwed! The LFs are completed with gaskets and dustcaps. I have to figure out a solution,

Is your #6 screw same as the 6mm (metric) screw ? Possibly inch standard.
Let me know.

Edit:
http://www.boltdepot.com/fastener-information/machine-screws/machine-screw-diameter.aspx

says # 6 is 0.13 inch . That is about 3.3 mm ! 9/64 isn't quite right at 3.57 mm

You can buy them here : http://www.boltdepot.com/Machine_screws.aspx
also http://www.boltdepot.com/Machine_screws_Phillips_pan_head_Zinc_plated_steel_6-32.aspx

only $0.05 each !

Very unlikely you get that here but I can check my market and see if the local fellow has it. I've seen some inch standard screws earlier.
maybe easier to get your son to buy it and mail it across !

Last edited:
I can easily get it from the US, but it may take a few weeks to get it over-I dont need to get it via Fedex and pay a bomb for $10 worth of hardware.

Just ask him to put it in a padded envelope and mail it. No Fedex required ! You will have the right size and well made. Will get here in a week !
What length are you looking for ? I'll check it here this weekend.

All that's remaining is to solder the pigtails(voice coil wires) to the terminals and apply the goop, which is expected tomorrow from Calcutta. Lizzner has done and excellent job of it.

Thad

Yes screws have different pitch and size(dia and length), so it has to be the correct one.I plan to call up Bill at GPA and ask him for the exact screw so that I dont err. He will definitely know because GPA also makes new 288 compression drivers.

Thanks

Hi Vivek

As I mentioned earlier these used for fixing the diaphragms on the HF units, six per unit.

Manav

Material doesnt matter, correct thread size does.

Raj

Of course you're right, I stand corrected. I actually meant to convey that brass or SS doesnt matter, though in the interest of originality brass is preferred. Having said that, I owe you a big thanks for suggesting that I might try the computer screws-Voila,, they fit!!
The length is a tad short, but for the time being will suffice. A local contact swears he can source them for me locally, so I will see if he can get then for me locally, then revert.

Vivek

Thanks, let me make a last effort locally before I revert. The spec is # 6 X 32 1/4 inch, but looking at the actual tapped hole, it appears to me that I might prefer a slightly longer screw.

I've finished and got my speakers running, finally. I wont post hourly or daily comments-these are vintage Altecs, requiring minimal breaking in. I'll post some pictures and comments when I can. Some tweaking is required but initial impressions are good.

The source is my SqueezeBox Touch accessing music stored on my Synology Audio server, and goes into my Transcendent Sound pre amp via an Audio Sector Non oversampling DAC. The power amp is a 40 wpc pp Anthem, and my sub is a 12 inc Lambda Acoustics in an enclosure using opposed passive radiators.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back