Altec 2 ways

GeorgeO

When I built my Scanspeak based MTM floor standers using Phil Bamberg's design(Bamberg Audio :: Speakers for Life) I thought this would be the last one for me.The sound was excellent, the match with my pre and pro was very good, and with multiple speaker systems at home I really didn't want any more.But hey,(as the politicians say), things change!

My younger son a recent visit came and took back with him pair of Scanspeak 2 ways with a matching AKSA amp. Subsequently I did a rethink and have decided to jump onto the vintage Altec bandwagon myself, which some of our friends have been extolling. Having now become a senior myself, I think it is quite an appropriate decision.

I have over time auditioned a few of these systems-Anil's,Santhosh's Rajiv's and liked the sound enough to venture into the arena myself. I will firm up my plans, and then go about the lengthy task of acquiring the drivers and refurbishing them with components to be sourced from Great Plains Audio,USA.

At the barest minimum I am looking at a 6 month time frame.

At this point all I want to say is that through some trusted(but) anonymous friends in various parts of the country( and some of whom I met or talked to during my recent travels) I am looking out for them( a pair of HF and a pair of LF, and only once they are in hand will I say anything. These drivers are generally not easy to find these days, unfortunately many have been junked!

Thanks to a good friend I have got a pair of Altec 416 8A LF units. These are 15 inch woofers using paper cones and Alnico magnets. I have been explicitly asked not to share sourcing details, so please refrain from asking me for more info. I hope to get a pair of compression drivers and will then start on the refurbishment and build.

GeorgeO,

Scanspeak is very good. I think Altecs are no match for any of these modern drivers. Just junk your project and give me your Altecs. I can pay for shipping :)

Cheers.

Anil

You and I will discuss this matter over a dram when we meet the next time. Considering that you're one of the people responsible for pushing me over the cliff on this, you're a great "friend" to be talking like this!

Anil

You and I will discuss this matter over a dram when we meet the next time. Considering that you're one of the people responsible for pushing me over the cliff on this, you're a great "friend" to be talking like this!

Just having fun with you, before you are completely converted to the Altec club!

Cheers. Merry Christmas.

Got a pair of 288K HF units, so the driver complement is complete now and will be ordering the recone kits and replacement diaphragms from GPA, USA, which will take some months to get across. I will update after the build is complete, possibly sometime in June/July.

2 way means using two speaker driver units- woofer and "tweeter". Twitter is what you tweet on; tweeter is the speaker driver for high frequencies. I will use vintage Altecs for the tweeter and woofer. If you use a Woofer, a mid range and a tweeter it becomes a 3 way.

Network is still to be decided, but will be passive.

Its finally getting started, will post pictures as things progress

Attachments

• CAM00260.jpg
    CAM00260.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 231
  • CAM00261.jpg
    CAM00261.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 231
  • CAM00270.jpg
    CAM00270.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 231
The rebuild process involves disassembly cleaning and rebuild, using parts imported from Great Plains Audio,USA. The diaphragm is for the HFs, other the cone with voice coil, dust cap and gaskets is for the LF unit shown in the background.

Congrats George. I think I need to make a trip to Bangalore one of these days. Lots of interesting systems to hear.

Is the Le Cleach horn from Azura?

Thanks Prem

Welcome anytime. Horn is locally made, developed with some trial and error by a local fibreglass moulder. There are many sources overseas for horns with similar flares(Azura, diysoundlab, Jabo and another from Germany, cant recall the name as well as wooden ones like Yuichi) but ordering and shipping to India was a problem so I decided to take the risk and look at a local solution.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back