AM / FM Antenna

shailenderb

I have a Dishtv dish lying idle on my terrace (after I switched over to Airtel). Is there anyway I can use it to boost my AM and FM reception on my Yamaha receiver ?

Regds / Shailender

I have a Dishtv dish lying idle on my terrace (after I switched over to Airtel). Is there anyway I can use it to boost my AM and FM reception on my Yamaha receiver ?

Regds / Shailender
No! its useless unless used for specific signal purpose. for AM you need passive or active tuned antenna and for FM yagi is the best.

Impossible!

That dish antenna is designed to work in Ku band (about 12GHz) and pointing to the sky. For FM, go to an old-fashioned electrical shop and ask for TV antenna which is formally known as Yagi-Uda antenna, which is used for receiving Doordarshan terrestrial transmissions. Mount in on your roof or the highest available point (higher is better), point it to the direction of FM transmission tower (fine tune direction later after connecting your radio), connect the usual flat TV antenna cable, run cable to your room, connect to FM receiver using the RF connector (same type of connector used in TV antenna input point). Then you're in business.

shailenderb, what you can probably do is take it down, wrap it up and keep it in storage. cannot be used with FM. another option would be to sell it off to someone who wants to use dish tv. assume you will have the set-top-box as well.

Thanks all for the enlightenment.

Reubenism, I do have the stb, but too lazy to "wrap it up" and offer for sale. Going to let it be there till the "elements" bring it down.

Regds / Shailender

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back