Amazon Prime restricted to 1080P?

Kumar101

I subscribed to Amazon Prime video today. Noticed all video's max out at 1080P even titles labelled as being 4K HDR.

Using a Windows 10 PC. Tried Chrome and Windows App both same only plays at 1080. Chrome plays Youtube 4K/HDR content perfectly.

Anyone using Prime have any joy playing 4K content?

I have prime on my Sony 4K TV. 4k contents play in 4k format without issues. Can you chk the app setting if there is any restriction to 1080p ? Sometimes the app decides the resolution based on the Internet bandwidth, have you internet bw checked once

I subscribed to Amazon Prime video today. Noticed all video's max out at 1080P even titles labelled as being 4K HDR.

Using a Windows 10 PC. Tried Chrome and Windows App both same only plays at 1080. Chrome play's Youtube 4K/HDR content perfectly.

Anyone using Prime have any joy playing 4K content?
What PC are you using? What is the graphics chip?

I have prime on my Sony 4K TV. 4k contents play in 4k format without issues. Can you chk the app setting if there is any restriction to 1080p ? Sometimes the app decides the resolution based on the Internet bandwidth, have you internet bw checked once
There are no settings in the App apart from download quality which is set to "Best".

My Internet speed is v good, getting over 300Mbs, checked both fast.com speedtest.net

I subscribed to Amazon Prime video today. Noticed all videos max out at 1080P even titles labeled as being 4K HDR.

Using a Windows 10 PC. Tried Chrome and Windows App both same only play at 1080. Chrome play's Youtube 4K/HDR content perfectly.

Anyone using Prime has any joy playing 4K content?
Works fine with Firestick 4K. Does your monitor support 4k HDR?

Works fine with Firestick 4K. Does your monitor support 4k HDR?
Using Samsung Q95T TV. 4K works perfect using VLC and Kodi playing MKV files. HDCP supported - confirmed in NVIDA control panel.

4K/HDR videos stream perfect in Youtube using Google Chrome.

The Amazon App on Samsung is a bit flaky. It never worked for me so ended up using the Firestick. Looks like some recent update made the matter worse. Check this thread.

Thanks for this link.

Article states:

"Does not support 4K"
"Does not support HDR"

WHAT A LOAD OF TOSH! Cant even change drive to store downloads gives silly message: 'Did you mean to switch Apps' Would have written a complaint letter to Bezos but last I heard he abandoned the company and was somewhere in outer space.

That card should function in theory. Does Netflix 4k work correctly? That rules out any copy protection failure issues.
As per manav24's post above - Windows is limited to HD i.e. 1080P max

BTW, to check protection you just use NVIDIA's control panel if HDCP capable or not - mine definitely is.

Last edited:
With a windows 10 pc even sound quality is restricted to stereo with Amazon prime streaming. I tried using my media PC and then got a nvidia shield.
Netflix is a better option for media PC users but more pricey, at 800 pm, however for my usage which is very low I couldn't justify it so sticking with prime for now.
Cheers,
Sid

Last edited:
Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back