amplification & low audio from phone's card

lalitkr

Hi,

I am new to this forum, have been following this section and the speakers' for sometime, and really have learnt a lot about audio in these few days. yesterday I went to audition the wharfedale speakers. I could not arrange my CDs, so had gone just like that to Vectors. The guy, Ramanathan, played some CDs he had, but i wanted to listen to some of my music, so I asked him to try it from my phone as well. He was using the Norge 1000 amp. The volume was coming a bit low from my phone(full volume), when compared with the CD player he was playing. I have seen this same problem when I connect my phone to a friend's Car stereo. But, I thought the Norge amp would handle the low volume from my phone's audio card.
Phone: Sony Ericsson Naite (J105)

That brings me to a lot of questions :). So just curious, what kind of amplification will rectify this, though my phone will not be my primary source. Also will the same problem be with other amps as well? Does amp expects aux-input at line-level? Moreover, why there are different forms of inputs - TAPE, CD, DVD, AUX - what form of signal/strength they expect?

any help, or any pointers would be most welcome :)

thanks
Lalit

Please read through http://www.hifivision.com/amplifiers/8753-using-pre-outs.html#post116821 to understand the basics. We can then answer some specific questions.

An integrated amp will expect line level inputs having a strength of between 50~500mV. Most hand held players such as iPods and mobile phones will usually supply more voltage as they are, most of the time, powering an internal speaker or a pair of headphones. If your phone is not supplying even the requisite power, there could be some issue with it.

Most important, have you tried using the internal volume knob of the phone and seen what happened. Was it kept at max? Sometimes when we use it with headphones, we keep the volume low, and then forget it altogether.

Cheers

It happens(low volume) when the 3.5mm to RCA cable is used.

Does this mean that the signal comes across has lesser voltage - an amplification should rectify this. Or is it that the intensity(current) itself is less - in this case how to fix. I guess it must be the second, the cable must have a bit higher resistance.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back