Amplifier for Bose Acoustimass 15

imrozepathan

Hi,
I am planning to buy the acoustimass 15 (5.1 Speakers)
I am unaware of the report of the product, plz help guys, as to how it is and also which Amplifier would drive it, i am currently looking out on Denon 1610 or 1910.

Thanks & Regards.

Have you heard the speakers? More important, have your heard other similar speakers such as Energy, QA, Canton, etc? Audition a few speakers and decide which one you want to go with.

Cheers

Last edited:
Hi,
I am unaware of the report of the product, plz help guys, as to how it is and also which Amplifier would drive it, i am currently looking out on Denon 1610 or 1910.

Hi

If you are into movies, looks, space constrain go for it.

Hope this helps

Regards

Sub

Hi,

Thanks & Regards.
==========================================

On the Bose website.. the MRP of Acoustimass 15 is about Rs 83k plus taxes etc.. + cost of your AVR.. meaning that you are looking at a spend of about Rs 1.25 lacs.

I think you could get better speakers and AVR in this price. But you have to be more specific and inform the folks in this forum :-

a. preference for music or movies or both ( which would mean a compromise at this price )
b. room size
c. Budget

Please demo the Energy take Classic, Paradigm CT 90 etc.. i remember a thread in this regard also. There are many threads on the subject ( of music system at abot Rs 1.25 lac ) you started ... all you meed is a bit of patience to go thru them.

Also.. if you are more into music maybe you may want to look at a stereo amp over the AVR. Please go for a few auditions and then plonk the money..

If you are into just movies with a small sized room.. JBL has some good products as well. ( ::: JBL ::: )

regards,
mpw

I reckon u shd consider the Kef KHT3005. I heard them and thought they sounded far superior to the AM15's.
Also consider the new 1911 in place of the 1910(not sure when it will be on sale in India).

Hi,

Thanks & Regards.
BOSE speakers really rocks as for as room size is small (10 / 10 to 14/14) max.
If the room size is bigger bose speakers struggles to deliver sound as they are in small size.
Even in the Bose user manual its mentioned its recommended for small rooms. Unfortunately nobody in the BOSE showroom tells this. You can notice all demo rooms in bose showroom are small.

Its not recommended to buy bose spakers if you have bigger room size.

Instead get the large speakers which can deliver a good/powerful sound in your room.

I got these speakers only because of space constraint in my home. When i shifted to large room later i find its not powerful enough, so i reshifted to small room again.

My rating for Bose speakers : GOOD .. not the best.

And its little bit expensive as others are saying, if you can afford go for it...

I have ONKYO 5 series AMP works well with bose speakers.

Last edited:
Seriously speaking I dont like the sound of Bose AM5 and the trouble is with very limited bass performance with lack of high frequency.........some tracks sound very dull even with a EQ turned on.......

I have paid Rs 22000/- to get it from their showroom and I found a statement in the owners manual which states that excessive bass and treble produces fatigue and may be liked by novices so they claimed their sound to be "natural" - :cool:)

imrozepathan, I you already purchased th e speakers. Then the compatible Amps are Denon or Yamaha.
....................................................................................................

Thanks & Regards.[cool cool]

Hi,

Thanks & Regards.

All the poor guy is asking for some reviews of the product, others' opinions of it and a suggestion for amplifier to drive them (Denon A/V receiver under consideration). It is evident that the use is for 5.1 HT to watch movies. What is the point of debating on treble, bass etc as well as saying about other speakers? Do all those speakers suggested give him better value for money or make the movie sound from DVDs different? I doubt. Bose is never a audiophile favorite, I know, but being compact and able to hide themselves and still producing all those movie sounds like other speaker packages, if someone has money to spend for it, why not???

It is functionality more than anything else that gets the largest weightage in evaluating equipment, my belief.

cheers.
murali

This is quite funny, The thread shows up in unread threads list and the last post is at 5:26 PM by Murali but that doesn't show up. It ends with Psychotropic's post posted at 2:43 PM.

Whatz up:rolleyes:

Hi,

You would do MUCH better to try the Q Acoustics 1010i 5.1 package. For the price, it is brilliant and 2 channel audio sounds very decent too.

What is the point of debating on treble, bass etc as well as saying about other speakers? Do all those speakers suggested give him better value for money or make the movie sound from DVDs different? I doubt.

I think they do.

If you listen to a Bose speaker system and see the same movie using a speaker set such as QA even with 1010i, you will hear a vast difference in soundstage, clarity, and depth. Even speakers from Lithos which are about the same size as Bose satellites render the sound more faithfully and with much better clarity. Lithos, for their size, can also be used for music, and have absolutely no ear fatigue.

I firmly believe that to hear the dialogues well and understand them clearly, you need a large centre channel speaker. This is something the Bose cannot do. With the Bose, and similar systems, you have to keep the sub title on, and that is very irritating. Do you watch the movie or read the sub titles?

It is quite easy to find better speakers for much lesser costs. Of course, the while issue is subjective. But I would always encourage prospective buyers to audition a few speaker sets to understand what he is getting or missing from one brand.

Cheers

What is the point of debating on treble, bass etc as well as saying about other speakers? Do all those speakers suggested give him better value for money or make the movie sound from DVDs different? I doubt. Bose is never a audiophile favorite, I know, but being compact and able to hide themselves and still producing all those movie sounds like other speaker packages, if someone has money to spend for it, why not???

It is functionality more than anything else that gets the largest weightage in evaluating equipment, my belief.

cheers.
murali

1) So in movies clarity,bass treble not imortant?
2) IMHO in the same price or LESSER you get far better speakers which are equally small and gives PERCEIVABLE better sound.

BTW Bose Subs a re pathetic ..i think still made with twin 6.5 inch drivers ....many packages are with 10 or 12 inch woofer ( experts please confirm)

AM 15 is 82000 Rs ,I am certain if carefully selected FAR BETTER sound is achieved at 75% of price..what does other people say?

I firmly believe that to hear the dialogues well and understand them clearly, you need a large centre channel speaker. This is something the Bose cannot do. With the Bose, and similar systems, you have to keep the sub title on, and that is very irritating. Do you watch the movie or read the sub titles?

I have a Bose AM 10 which is similar to the AM15 with few differences.
I think the 10 comes with twin 6.5" subs and the 15 comes with 3 subs.
There may be other differences which I am not aware of.

Anyways, I totally agree with the above point. I find it very difficult to
listen to dialogues and it is not very clear even at higher volumes.

Anyways I used to think Bose are the best (six years back) and brought them from the US. They "try" to give you a laid back feeling which might
impress some at the begining but over a period of time you will know its
true colors and will not like it. I do not and I am looking for a change.

I find it neither good for movies nor for music. There seems to be no
clarity, depth, soundstage etc. I have it paired with Harmon Kardon
AVR330.

At this price point, I certainly agree there should be much better options
in the market.

Last edited:
I have a Bose AM 10 which is similar to the AM15 with few differences.
I think the 10 comes with twin 6.5" subs and the 15 comes with 3 subs.
There may be other differences which I am not aware of.

Anyways, I totally agree with the above point. I find it very difficult to
listen to dialogues and it is not very clear even at higher volumes.

Anyways I used to think Bose are the best (six years back) and brought them from the US. They "try" to give you a laid back feeling which might
impress some at the begining but over a period of time you will know its
true colors and will not like it. I do not and I am looking for a change.

I find it neither good for movies nor for music. There seems to be no
clarity, depth, soundstage etc. I have it paired with Harmon Kardon
AVR330.

At this price point, I certainly agree there should be much better options
in the market.
Hi, Initially i had this problem in my BOSE setup.. The sound was boomy.
But after doing many research i found the LFE/BASS settings in my BOSE SUB was set to some point which is factory default. This is a problem.

With the LFE/BASS on it produces only boomy BASS. I completly turned off. Now I am able to hear the sounds very clearly and effects also good.

Also .. Make sure you set your SP Distance settings in the AMP as given below.
(It works best for me)
front :14 ft
center:15 ft( Dialog will be clear)
surround: 8ft
Woofer : 16 ft (BASS will be optimal )

LEVELS
fronts : 0 db
center : 2 db(dialog will be clear.. increase 1 or 2 even if its not clear)
surround : 2 db
Woofer: 4 db(for hollywood movies) -require more bass
0-2db for Tamil movies

BASS : -8 db
Terible: +8 db

Being the small speakers its delivering loud sound effects as large speakers.
Thats amazing... but it seems to distort in a very large volume level. It happens to other speakers also.

i bought only BOSE 5.1 speakers package it came arnd 500$ ,go it in deal.. i think this is not much expensive. But AM15 speakers are costly its having the same speakers like in mine and having just more 4 speakers and costs doubled.

only problem in BOSE , it doesnt have a good tweeter as other speakers has. So they sounds better in clarity. other than that BOSE sounds equal to other speakers. If this is ok for you and your choice is only satllite speakers then go for it. It cannot beat large speakers anyway even though it sounds like.

So before buying audition all the speakers and buy which sounds better for you. Finally you should have satisfied with the sound.

Last edited:
@edjamesx - I have tried changing the settings several times without any dramatic change in the sound. Anyways, no harm in trying again. I will try your suggestions and see if it changes the sound in anyway. Thank you.

Back