Amplifier input leakage

csricharan

I have an old Kenwood amp to which I have connected three inputs into three slots ... PHONO, CD and TUNER. I notice that when I am playing an input through either PHONO or TUNER, I can hear the CD player faintly in between songs on the PHONO or TUNER. The problem is worse when the TUNER input is being used. It's like there is signal leakage between the inputs. This doesn't happen in my new Marantz amp. Can anybody tell me why this happens?

Sir, generally, any one source only can be selected by the selector switch. Why do you play the CD player, while you have selected and playing the tuner?

I have an old Kenwood amp to which I have connected three inputs into three slots ... PHONO, CD and TUNER. I notice that when I am playing an input through either PHONO or TUNER, I can hear the CD player faintly in between songs on the PHONO or TUNER. The problem is worse when the TUNER input is being used. It's like there is signal leakage between the inputs. This doesn't happen in my new Marantz amp. Can anybody tell me why this happens?

I have seen this before in the old amps.....the selector (Analog) has gone old and is gone for a toss.....you will need to remove the knob and spray WD40 carefully on the pod shaft....better if it can be sprayed from inside....(carefully which means opening the amp)....then move the selector between the sources so that the WD40 settles better. Then after sometime try and see if the issue has reduced or has been resolved.

If it still persists, the only option is to replace the Source Selector pod which would be available online or at Lamington Road (Grant Road east)

All the best!

It is called channel bleed and pretty common. Also I suppose nothing to worry about as we listen to only one source at a time.

Last edited:
I have seen this before in the old amps.....the selector (Analog) has gone old and is gone for a toss.....you will need to remove the knob and spray WD40 carefully on the pod shaft....better if it can be sprayed from inside....(carefully which means opening the amp)....then move the selector between the sources so that the WD40 settles better. Then after sometime try and see if the issue has reduced or has been resolved.

If it still persists, the only option is to replace the Source Selector pod which would be available online or at Lamington Road (Grant Road east)

All the best!
Hey ... thanks for your inputs. was told the same thing by an audio technician.

Sir, generally, any one source only can be selected by the selector switch. Why do you play the CD player, while you have selected and playing the tuner?
hahaha ... the only reason i do this is because i use my components once a week and was told that i should use the CD player regularly (at least once a week) to make sure that the mechanics work properly.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back