amplifier selection: HK 3490 VS NAD PE2240 VS NAD C 320 for big fun 17

skdas

Hello ,
Since last two months my new Big fun 17 lying packed in my room as i dont have anything to drive it.It wil take another 3 to 4 months to get the amplifier (including funding and getting it) for my long settlement. I eagerly waiting to drive it , so that i will have music and burn in process will be in end stage by the time its DESIRED amplifier comes.I have allotted a limited budget @15k to get a used amplifier to run the speaker for next 3-4 months.
I came across following option . Now i am confuesd which one to pick up.

1. Harman Kardon HK 3490
2. NAD Envelope PE2240 Stereo Power Amplifier(without preamps).
3. NAD C 320 Integrated Amplifiers.
4. Wait for next 3-4 months(!), music will be more sweet.

Please help me to select.Will there be any chances of speaker damage by HK 3490 with is huge current (45A) output ?

Sorry for putting such a silly post , but i don't want to go wrong!

Options 1 & 3 are simple. They give you a nice IA with volume control.
Option 2 will not have volume control in the analog domain, but you have HTPC so you can control volume in digital domain.
Option 4 will be status quo (something that is bothering you at present).
Don't worry about 45A current spec.
It is only the amp's capacity to drive when demand arises which will never be the case if you are limiting to home listening levels.
Fix a budget, get any used unit and enjoy the music until you decide on a matching unit for the speakers.

Cheers,
Raghu

I am currently on Option 4 myself - my rig is disbanded due to masonry work at home and will stay that way for 3 months. In that time i am looking to do something different - more exercise for example...

Option 4 will be the first one IMO.

In the meantime, visit bangalore - Meet Mr Jochen Semler and hear the Big Fun with the range of amps he has and also link up with ARN and other Bangalore dealers.

Audition - to your hearts content and dont burn money in burning in the Big Funs - thats no fun or pun at all !!

:D

PS : Best thing to do is to buy what you like and post here after you have bought it. No point taking opinions & masking your own taste.

Trigon goes well with Blumens. If you have the budget, check out Sidvee's ad. You might be able to work out a payment schedule

between the nad c320 and the hk 3490, from a sound quality point of view, i prefer the nad. the hk has big sounds and very good sound separation, but is a little bright and the highs are a little harsh. bass is very tight. not as musical as the nad. but the nad may not have enough power for your speakers. not sure what the speaker specs are though. if its powerful enough, the nad is a very good choice.

the other option is to go for a yamaha stereo amp. but would be above your budget. ive heard good things about the lyrita amplifiers.

Good to hear that you are ready to wait for new amp. for time being HK will not disappoint you as it is high current amp. By the way any decision for new amp yet...or still in hunting mode..

cheers

Among the options listed I would definitely prefer the HK 3490. You shouldn't be worried about high current rating. It's a not a potentially damaging aspect, it's a good thing. 45 amps of instantaneous current; only HK amps, at the entry-level of the playing field, can boast of.

But given your speakers you should look elsewhere. May be a tube amp, I'm thinking aloud, say Yaqin. They don't cost a bomb and should keep you happy for a while. Some FMs have owned Blumen, you could also check with them what they used with it.

To get that speaker to sing, you will need a very high quality amp. It is very revealing of upstream gear so if you have the wrong amp, you will not be able to enjoy the system so the exercise is pretty much pointless.

If you can swing a decent tube amp like a primaluna, ayon, cayin, melody etc..it may be worthwhile.

Low end solid state amps are a big NO.

Last edited:
Option 4 will be the first one IMO.

Good to hear that you are ready to wait for new amp. ..

cheers

I like your comments most "mpw" & "dheerajin". Also thanks other members for their options.
Based on recent status ( very busy schedule for next 2 months ), i forced myself not to experiment with used amplifier.Rather i will wait for funding(good) and getting a pure class A pre-amplifier and SS class A amplifier with around 50W.

Go for Hk its Us vs Japan Us is definitely upper hand. Its powerful dynamic wide sq range. But little bit distorted comparing to Nad.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back