Amplifier suggestions for Tannoy Turnberry GRs

Miany

Hi All,

I am looking for an amplifier (preferably integrated than Pre/Power) for my Tannoy Turnberry GRs.

Budget - 4 lakhs.

Music -Mainly Vocal centric songs, acoustic stuff, blues and occasional Jazz.

I am looking for tube based amplifier or Class A SS. Open to second-hand deals as well.

I have used a Schiit Freya with tubes in my ATC SCM 19 actives and really liked the tube effect in sound. As for class A SS, i have never really experienced that and would love to experience such a setup. Given th 93db sensitivity of the speakers, i am assuming a decent powered class A SS with ample current delivery can easily drive them.

And for reference, my room size is 17 * 23 feet.

Thanks,
Miany

Hi

You would love Luxman 550AX MKII. Class A 20 wpc in to 8ohms. That's an analogue only amp so you would need a source with dac or an external dac.

Regards
Vivek

Hi

You would love Luxman 550AX MKII. Class A 20 wpc in to 8ohms. That's an analogue only amp so you would need a source with dac or an external dac.

Regards
Vivek

Thanks Vivek! But new one is retailing at 6.35 lakhs in Hifimart. Thats over my budget.

Given my experience with Schiit Freya Pre-amp, i am really tempted to take the Schiit Freya + Aegir (Pair as monoblock) route.

But i heard some quality issues with Aegir, especially related to transformer hum...

Anyone has any experience with Aegir?

Do consider the Benchmark abh2 ...it fits well into your budget and the technical specs are really good.

Consider Lyric Audio from Jochem Semler in Bangalore. 2 single ended models, the lower power version is within your budget.
Cheers,
Sid

Do consider the Benchmark abh2 ...it fits well into your budget and the technical specs are really good.

Is there any dealer for this in India?

You may also consider Sugden AN 50 Integrated amp. That's perfectly with in your budget. The dealer us in Kolkata.

Yes. Sugden is definitely there in my mind. Especialy the A21SE Signature or the masterclass IA4. But not quite sure if they will be able to drive the turnberrys. I have got a feedback that A21SE may not be able to give a good bottom end with the turnberrys.

Anyone has experience with sugden and large drive tannoys?

Hi, if you decide to go the pre- power route I have EAR 890 tube power amp to move.

Regards,
Vinay

Go fr Either First watt / pass labs or fr tubes look fr Air Tight amps ( Japanese) or Thomas Mayer Amp... U will certainly not get all these here in India... try abroad ... look at Singapore Carousell .. u will certainly get second hand ... If u get let me know I will guide u one dealer in Chennai .. ( genuine guy) many guys on forum also knows him also ... he will arrange .. he got me First watt 7 ... u got awesome speaker .. With that budget if u try in used market I am sure u will worlds best amps ( in second hand market) in good condition . I got First watt 7 and is as good as new .

Hi All,

I am looking for an amplifier (preferably integrated than Pre/Power) for my Tannoy Turnberry GRs.

Budget - 4 lakhs.

I am looking for tube based amplifier or Class A SS. Open to second-hand deals as well.

I have used a Schiit Freya with tubes in my ATC SCM 19 actives and really liked the tube effect in sound. As for class A SS, i have never really experienced that and would love to experience such a setup. Given th 93db sensitivity of the speakers, i am assuming a decent powered class A SS with ample current delivery can easily drive them.

Thanks,
Miany
Maybe an Accuphase E - 460 shld work for you. It wld probably come in your budget too.
Cheers!

Hi All,

Budget - 4 lakhs.

Thanks,
Miany
Pass labs J2

Yes. Sugden is definitely there in my mind. Especialy the A21SE Signature or the masterclass IA4. But not quite sure if they will be able to drive the turnberrys. I have got a feedback that A21SE may not be able to give a good bottom end with the turnberrys.

Anyone has experience with sugden and large drive tannoys?
Sugden a21a (i love the a21a sound) is better than a21 se imo.. i auditioned both the amps.. the se version has carry some coleration on the other hand a21a have less powered but during the 93 db sensivity of your speaker its paired well.. one of the known person have used turnberry with a21a. if your budget permit then go for master class or pass labs j2..
If you find used market or looking some vintage one then look on luxman l550 (well matched with tannoy imo)

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back