Amplifier to match Wharfedale 10.2

adie

Hello FM,

After listening to movies and audio tracks from Denon 1312 AVR , I have now matured to look towards pure stereo music. In the current chain I will be using Wharfedale 10.2 speakers and Asus O!play mini as source ( no cdp ). Asus O!play will be soon replaced / modded with DAC as analog out is highly low graded.

Changes took place after I visited AV Max Expo this month in Delhi. It was sonic bliss to listen and feel to music all around from best systems ever listened by me. Yes in current financial conditions its near impossible to have beauties called French Triangle (8.50 lacs + amps + source), but they were heart stealers. I got good chance to meet Shitij from Lakozy Delhi who guided to bring speaker to Delhi and he will find matching amp from his stable. I am looking forward to meet him soon in Delhi.

My humble request to FMs is to guide to find out matching amplifier for Wharfedale 10.2 which is considered to be warm speaker.
Following are basic details

1. Money - sub 40000
2. Room size - variable (frequent transfers) current - 10'*12'
3. Music source - Flac / MP3 (320kbps)
4. Music type - Western / Bollywood old and new / Jagjeet Chitra

Will be thankful to all who reply.
FM who have seen Wfd 10.2 combinations kindly share your experience.

Adie

Last edited:
Thanks maxprocrj

CA are definitely good amp. I will try to have an audition of same.

How about NAD 325/326BEE / Yamaha AS300-500 / Denon or Marantz amps. I beleive that every single amp has its own sonic signature. Key is to match amp and speakers.
I request all FM who have heard combination of Wfd10.2 and amp to come forward and share their experience.

Thanks maxprocrj

How about NAD 325/326BEE / Yamaha AS300-500 / Denon or Marantz amps. I beleive that every single amp has its own sonic signature. Key is to match amp and speakers.
I request all FM who have heard combination of Wfd10.2 and amp to come forward and share their experience.

Check these 4 options,read reviews, auditioned them you will never regret if you choose anyone of them for sure......

Marntz PM6004

Onkyo A9050

Rotel RA 10

CA 651A

Thanks maxprocrj

Check these 4 options,read reviews, auditioned them you will never regret if you choose anyone of them for sure......

Marntz PM6004

Onkyo A9050

Rotel RA 10

CA 651A

IMHO Yamaha and Wharfedales is good combination, and it is already discussed on this forum many times.

Yamaha has natural sound, and Wharfedales are softer so it should sound better.
NAD is more at warmer side (So may be not a good combination with warm Wharfedale)
Marantz is little bit brighter, you can consider on that too.

Suggestion: Visit dealer who deals in these Amps and Wharfedale speakers so that you can check these 10.2 with various amplifiers under one roof otherwise if you can carry speaker, pick them and visit dealers and pick which sounds good to your ears.

Hello FM,

After listening to movies and audio tracks from Denon 1312 AVR , I have now matured to look towards pure stereo music. In the current chain I will be using Wharfedale 10.2 speakers and Asus O!play mini as source ( no cdp ). Asus O!play will be soon replaced / modded with DAC as analog out is highly low graded.

Changes took place after I visited AV Max Expo this month in Delhi. It was sonic bliss to listen and feel to music all around from best systems ever listened by me. Yes in current financial conditions its near impossible to have beauties called French Triangle (8.50 lacs + amps + source), but they were heart stealers. I got good chance to meet Shitij from Lakozy Delhi who guided to bring speaker to Delhi and he will find matching amp from his stable. I am looking forward to meet him soon in Delhi.

My humble request to FMs is to guide to find out matching amplifier for Wharfedale 10.2 which is considered to be warm speaker.
Following are basic details

1. Money - sub 40000
2. Room size - variable (frequent transfers) current - 10'*12'
3. Music source - Flac / MP3 (320kbps)
4. Music type - Western / Bollywood old and new / Jagjeet Chitra

Will be thankful to all who reply.
FM who have seen Wfd 10.2 combinations kindly share your experience.

Adie

Unlike the common impression, I find NAD amps in general very musical with Wharfedale speakers. A lot depends on the room you are planning to use your system in.

Rotel RA-10 is really extracting the juice of Symphony from all warm speakers these days. 10.2 needs real muscle, Second option is AS-500. Third CA-351/651. But beware CA has tubby bass & fast speakers like MA-BX2 fit here perfectly.

Marantz is not bright indeed it has the power to control the treble of bright speakers in a smoother way. But very warm speakers like of Wharfedale need some punch for higher frequency range where sophisticated style of Marantz can fail. When we say bright it means we cannot tolerate the listening harshness for more than 2 hours & nobody in this google world has experienced a such problem with Marantz amps. Its the speaker selection which fails or vice-versa.

Thanks FM for sharing your knowledge and experience. As I am being transferred to Karnal I will have wait for some time to get back to Delhi for auditions.

Hi,

IMO, NAD is a good match for Wharf.. Coz I am using the combination of NAD Pre n Power amp with wharf 10.1, and it is very musical.. I like it very much that I rarely use my Mission 782 now a days..

Its long time since I posted in this post, I have been relocated to Uganda. So was unable to contribute. My basic system resides in Dehradun and am developing a pure stereo system in Kampala. Have purchased a pre used Marantz PM4000 amplifier and am in process of searching matching pre owned speakers.
Will post on my findings.

Last edited:
hey adie
so i too have wharfs....the older 9.5s
n i recently upgraded to the marantz pm6004..... after doing the rounds n listenin to the 9.5s paired with a nad (dont recollect the model - same price range thou) & a yamaha + a onkyo...
imho i like the way the wharfs & marantz blend - i guess ur best recourse is to do the rounds n see what works for

like they say one mans poison another mans meat eh :)

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back