Floorstander speakers for bollywood to match with Naim nait 5si

B&W 603 will be a nice speaker for bollywood i feel. Give it an audition if you can.

Cheers.

List of speakers to audition
Bookshelf
  • Wharfedale evo 4.2
  • Wharfedale Linton
  • Dynaudio Emit 20
  • B&W 603
  • KEF ls50
  • Proac Tablette
Floor standers
  • Qacoustic Concept 40
  • Spendor A2
  • Indiq Diamond Achals
  • Neat Motive SX2
Keep suggestion coming in.

Now next upgrade would be carpet, any suggestion for carpet what to look for in carpet and size.

Any thoughts on Wharfedale evo 4.2 vs Q Acoustics 3050i vs Qacoustic Concept 40
I like the KEF q350 better than all of them. Its a very personal choice but a number of people who've heard the Evo 4.2, Concept and KEF Q350 at my place extensively (or even for short durations) usually end up preferring the Q350. By no means is that a measure or proof of the Q350s being better than the others but that everybody hears speakers differently and you'll have to decide for yourself after auditioning. And yeah, you ought to add the Q350 to the list.

The KEF Q350 is so good that a number of people on the Facebook forum are constantly debating on whether it sounds better than the LS50. And to be mentioned in the same conversation as the LS50s is high praise indeed.

Last edited:
@DB1989 Will surely add KEF Q350 to my list.

One thing is still bugging me is:
Will floor standing speakers not sound as good as bookshelf in room ?
Reason behind is someone told me that floor standers will have more reflection, basically more interaction with room compared to bookshelf speakers, since in typical Indian apartment where flooring and walls are more reflective.

How much truth is in this statement ?

I am leaning towards floor stander because of practicality, since speaker will be placed near to entrance.
However if they are not going to sound better compared to bookshelf then I would consider bookshelf.

Bookshelf
  • Wharfedale evo 4.2
  • Wharfedale Linton
  • Dynaudio Emit 20
  • B&W 603
  • KEF ls50
  • Proac Tablette
Floor standers
  • Qacoustic Concept 40
  • Spendor A2
  • Indiq Diamond Achals
  • Neat Motive SX2
Keep suggestions coming in.

Now next upgrade would be carpet; any suggestion for carpet what to look for in carpet and size.
LS 50 is no longer produced; they replaced this by LS 50 Meta. It's worth considering. KEF generally goes well with NAIM.

IMHO, the mastering of the Bollywood tracks is poor compared to their western counterparts. So, no matter how brilliant the system is, you will always feel like something is missing.

Bookshelf
  • Wharfedale evo 4.2
  • Wharfedale Linton
  • Dynaudio Emit 20
  • B&W 603
  • KEF ls50
  • Proac Tablette
Floor standers
  • Qacoustic Concept 40
  • Spendor A2
  • Indiq Diamond Achals
  • Neat Motive SX2
Keep suggestion coming in.

Now next upgrade would be carpet, any suggestion for carpet what to look for in carpet and size.
Owning a B&W 804, Trying to Drive them with a Naim Pre Power Setup, I can Add a few insights from my experience.
Naim did not pair well with B&W, I'd avoid them. It's better to stick with (relatively) easily drivable speakers, which are laid back sound signature wise. Auditioning with Wharfedale Linton /Wharfedale 4. 2 Evo may be advisable. LS50 will again may not be a good match.

Also low impedance speakers(<6ohm) and speakers with labile impedance which goes below 4ohm can be safely avoided. Look for Speakers with good sensitivity > 90db with 8ohm nominal impedance.
All the Floorstanders in the List can be a good match, especially the Q Acoustics 40s. Naim will wake up the sleeping speakers, (but for that, the speakers need to be sleeping in spite of being easily drivable).

YMMV as usual disclaimer.

@DB1989 Will surely add KEF Q350 to my list.

One thing is still bugging me is:
Will floor standing speakers not sound as good as bookshelf in room ?
Reason behind is someone told me that floor standers will have more reflection, basically more interaction with room compared to bookshelf speakers, since in typical Indian apartment where flooring and walls are more reflective.

How much truth is in this statement ?

I am leaning towards floor stander because of practicality, since speaker will be placed near to entrance.
However if they are not going to sound better compared to bookshelf then I would consider bookshelf.
I'm not entirely sure about reflections being caused due to floorstanders since I've not experienced it in any of my rooms.

Whichever placement works well for my floorstanders works equally well for my bookshelves.

However, i do prefer bookshelfs to floorstanders because they're easier to live with as they can be moved at will as opposed to floorstanders which is usually backbreaking work. This ease of movement aids flexibility and experimentation in placement. Plus, bookshelves with a well integrated subwoofer sounds just as good as their floorstanding counterparts, sometimes even better.

If you don't intend to crank up your volume to extremely high levels, bookshelves with a sub is the way to go in my books. More often than not, it'll give you much better bass response than floorstanders because not only will the subwoofer dig deeper than most floorstanders in the price range of 1L but since you can place the sub just about anywhere in your room, you can get much better bass response than if you were to rely upon floorstanders simpliciter which will be limited in placement options (I'm proceeding on the assumption that you won't be rearranging your entire room furniture and decor to suit your speaker placement).

Current setup
Source: LG 4K TV (Optical), Intel NUC (USB), Google Chromecast Audio (Optical), AudioLab 6000CDT (Coaxial)​
DAC: Denafrips Ares II​
Integrated Amp: Naim Nait 5si​
Speaker: Wharfedale Diamond 225​
What is lacking in current setup ?
  • Lack energy and lively ness - for example song "chahe koi mujhe junglee kahe" does not sound that energetic.
  • I also feel bass in not so good in wharfedale, it's not fast and accurate, it can't keep up in songs like "Dil se re".
  • Above is two major point, rest are minor like instrumentation separation, soundstage, vocal, this thing will improve with better speaker.
What I am looking for in new speaker ?
  • I like warm sound, don't like sparkles in high frequency.
    • IEM RHA MA750 vs Shure SE215, I like Shure SE215, RHA MA750 causes fatigue to my ear.
    • Since I don't have listen to other bookshelf or floorstander speakers, I have given comparison for IEM
  • Bass
  • Better Vocal, Soundstage, instrumentation separation
  • Musical not analytical : I don't understand music, I feel it.
  • Naim Nait 5si should be able to drive with ease, don't want to upgrade electronics.
  • Since placement will be near to wall (1 feet distance from back wall), near wall placement friendly.
What is budget for new speaker ? : 1.5 Lacs.​

Music teste
  • 99% bollywood
  • Old songs from lata, asha, RD Burman, Kishore, etc.
  • 90's music
  • New Bollywood
  • Ghazals

Listening Room
  • It's living room, please check images for dimension and layout.
  • Since speakers are going to be placed near to main entrance door, I want floorstander to have safety of not falling.
  • Currently room has regular furniture that typical Indian living room has.
  • Current TV unit will be removed and will buy new equipment rack.
Miscellaneous
  • My concern with floorstander is bass boom.
  • On various forums and online article they mentioned room size as small, medium and large.
  • It would be great, if someone can tell me in what is category of listening room small, medium and large ?
Iam considering both ie
Given a choice between Triangle Borea BR08 (front firing port)and Fyne 501(down firing port) which one would folks prefer .Amp RN803
(Back firing port not preferred .Floorstander only)

Owning a B&W 804, Trying to Drive them with a Naim Pre Power Setup, I can Add a few insights from my experience.
Naim did not pair well with B&W, I'd avoid them. It's better to stick with (relatively) easily drivable speakers, which are laid back sound signature wise. Auditioning with Wharfedale Linton /Wharfedale 4. 2 Evo may be advisable. LS50 will again may not be a good match.

Also low impedance speakers(<6ohm) and speakers with labile impedance which goes below 4ohm can be safely avoided. Look for Speakers with good sensitivity > 90db with 8ohm nominal impedance.
All the Floorstanders in the List can be a good match, especially the Q Acoustics 40s. Naim will wake up the sleeping speakers, (but for that, the speakers need to be sleeping in spite of being easily drivable).

YMMV as usual disclaimer.
+1
I fully agree. Wharfdale or Qacoustics should match well with the naim sound :)

Brought Wharfedale Evo 4.2 :cool:

Attached picture of setup :)

My mini review ( Complete chain is in my signature ), not so poet myself, so review will be objective with less word.
  • Burn-In : around 50 hrs, keep improving till 100 hrs.
  • Soundstage: wide and deep in layers, not much of vertical dispersion because of AMT.
  • Instrument separation is very good, with their placement in soundstage.
    • While watching series on my TV, if two characters talking, you can hear vocals coming at their precise place, such experience I did not had with HT.
  • Bass: Nice, weighty bass
  • Mid range: it's amazing, in completely engage you emotionally.
  • High frequency: Detailed, Non Fatigue.
  • Kishor kumar, Lata Mangeshkar, Jagjit Singh, Sherya Goshal voice seems of magical that you want to hear song again and again.
  • Gupt Album on tidal sound so good, that I have listened to it on repeats.
  • Songs like Saat samundar Paar from Vishwatma movie, they sound so cheerful.
  • Naim and Wharfedale combo is good match, head nodding, foot tapping and emotionally engaging listen experience.
  • What is missing ?
    • Please check this post, where I have put detailed information with track information.

Attachments

• evo4.2.jpg
    evo4.2.jpg
    630.8 KB · Views: 27
+1
I fully agree. Wharfdale or Qacoustics should match well with the naim sound :)
With reference to your post, let's discuss here. Don't want to hijack other op thread.

You can see speaker placement in above post. Speakers front is 3 feet from back wall.
Stand is Sound foundation Aura, each stand weights 13 KG.

Regarding your comment "If you isolate them from the stand with some isolators, then you will improve speed."
Currently Speakers placed on stand with rubber mount that comes with speakers.
Any suggestion for isolation in budget, something I can try to see if there is improvement and I like it.
before investing into some serious isolating product.

With reference to your post, let's discuss here. Don't want to hijack other op thread.

You can see speaker placement in above post. Speakers front is 3 feet from back wall.
Stand is Sound foundation Aura, each stand weights 13 KG.

Regarding your comment "If you isolate them from the stand with some isolators, then you will improve speed."
Currently Speakers placed on stand with rubber mount that comes with speakers.
Any suggestion for isolation in budget, something I can try to see if there is improvement and I like it.
before investing into some serious isolating product.
Hi jigar :)

The placement with respect to wall distance on the rear and sides seems to be very good. So I wouldn't suspect any thing there.

Those stands are heavy :)

Ideally before investing in any isolators, can you try and see if it's possible to remove the rubber footers and place the speaker directly on the stand. Alternately you can try placing a thick book or a some wooden board between the speaker and the stand to that the rubber footers don't make contact with the stand.

This will avoid them grabbing onto the main stands, thereby increasing the total mass of the speaker. This is just an experiment

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back