An enquiry: First Indian Stereo Recording

Hi Musiklava

RP means recording published. It doesn't necessarily mean that lp in that series was released in that year. For example on that site when you go to HFLP it shows RP as 1962 or 1963 or 1967, etc. The HFLP series came out only in 1987 but the recording publishing was in 1962 or 1963 or 1967. You are confusing RP with the lp release

Hi Musiklava

RP means recording published. It doesn't necessarily mean that lp in that series was released in that year. For example on that site when you go to HFLP it shows RP as 1962 or 1963 or 1967, etc. The HFLP series came out only in 1987 but the recording publishing was in 1962 or 1963 or 1967. You are confusing RP with the lp release

Actually the confusion of RP and release year of the LPs arise simply because the initial year of RP is in all likelihood the release year of the 78 RPM shellac records. I guess this point has to be clarified by someone who knows the true facts...

I'll cite the example of an LP "Madhumati" (ECLP 5490) which was released in 1976. Yet, the movie was released in 1958 and shellac records were also released. I suppose the situation arose out of the release of records in various formats - 78s, EPs, 10" LPs, and LPs and so on.

So I presume that HMV/EMI has merely released LPs of those soundtracks at a later date, hence the difference in dates. This is, of course, entirely my own surmise and conclusion. I could be wrong there and wouldn't mind getting the proper facts emerging through these discussions! :)

Last edited:
You can also try Mr Chandavankar. He's quite an authority on such things.

Chandvankar ji only got me in touch with Rajeev ji and told he's the right person to ask. Having worked in HMV, he will know such things.
HMV's numbers are not always in order of recording. I have seen in some cases that earlier numbers are released later due to marketing, manufacturing and other reasons. Sometimes the numbers were allotted but recordings or pressings got delayed causing confusion.
I will go with what he says in this case.

I have posted in some other thread about the magic of listening to a Balamuralikrishna LP at Dr.Bass's place. I forget now, but that LP was, I think, just older than me. 1951?

It was 1969. I don't know how I managed to make such a confusion of the memory.

it is not nearly as old as me, but it it is as old as my oldest LPs --- and my LPs from my teens are utterly unplayable, making it seem all the more miraculous to hear something that old in such good condition.

Curiously, EMI/HMV/RPG/SaReGaMa/Sony or whatever fancy name
they call themseleves these days have a "serious superstition" - any
series that they started in gramophone records and later in cassettes,
CDs and now MP3s, etc. would always start with a Lata Mangeshkar title !!
Almost like doing the Ganapathi pooja !!
Note : By series, I mean a set of media with the same starting title, but
with different artistes. For example : Magic Moments, Forever - , All Time Hits, All Time Greats, Parichay, Duets of, Memories, Legends, etc.

what an observation.......

Curiously, EMI/HMV/RPG/SaReGaMa/Sony or whatever fancy name
they call themseleves these days have a "serious superstition" - any
series that they started in gramophone records and later in cassettes,
CDs and now MP3s, etc. would always start with a Lata Mangeshkar title !!
Almost like doing the Ganapathi pooja !!
Note : By series, I mean a set of media with the same starting title, but
with different artistes. For example : Magic Moments, Forever - , All Time Hits, All Time Greats, Parichay, Duets of, Memories, Legends, etc.

Hi.. As per my knowledge & Belief.. First Recording in Sterophonic Sound was for JAL BIN MACHHLI NRUTYA BIN BIJLI.
Music Director : Laxmikant Pyarelal. By Genius Recording Engineer Mangesh Desaiji (Rajkamal, Parel)
HMV's ODION Label L.P. Record No. EALP 4002. This is available on YouTube.
Thanks.

Reviving this very old thread for a closure.
Mr. P. N. Choudhuri, who was in charge of the recording and mastering of the very first stereo record in HMV's Dumdum studio/plant confirms that record number ASD 2295 DUETS (Vilayat khan and Bismillah Khan) is the first stereo recording done in India by Gramophone Company of India.
The year was 1967.
So here we have the first ever Indian Stereo record.

Regards
Duets.jpg

Mr. P. N. Choudhuri, who was in charge of the recording and mastering of the very first stereo record in HMV's Dumdum studio/plant confirms that record number ASD 2295 DUETS (Vilayat khan and Bismillah Khan) is the first stereo recording done in India by Gramophone Company of India.
The year was 1967.

Regards
View attachment 60699

Great information. I see handwritten narration by Mr. P. N Chaudhury.

However dada, I'm afraid after this post, new kids on the block will storm the Kolkata market today and raise this Rs 100 LP to Rs 2,000. :D

However dada, I'm afraid after this post, new kids on the block will storm the Kolkata market today and raise this Rs 100 LP to Rs 2,000. :D
That's true. But this is just one record.
Thinking retrospectively, I realise that we have all done the same thing at some point of time of our record collection journey. As we were all newbies once. Isn't it??
The funny part is, some us continue to do so even today.... :)

Regards

That's true. But this is just one record.
Thinking retrospectively, I realise that we have all done the same thing at some point of time of our record collection journey. As we were all newbies once. Isn't it??
The funny part is, some us continue to do so even today.... :)

Regards

Our aggression quotient was much much lower and budget limitation was also a constraint. Vinyl procurement is a journey that has to be learnt. These smart vinyl sellers can read mind very well and aggression in the eyes make a Rs 500 Ararti Mukherjee LP to sell at Rs 2000. A VG Namkeen LP is sold at Rs 3000. These new kids do not even try to bargain hard.

Can you imagine? The market is unnecessarily destroyed.

Our aggression quotient was much much lower and budget limitation was also a constraint. Vinyl procurement is a journey that has to be learnt. These smart vinyl sellers can read mind very well and aggression in the eyes make a Rs 500 Ararti Mukherjee LP to sell at Rs 2000. A VG Namkeen LP is sold at Rs 3000. These new kids do not even try to bargain hard.

Can you imagine? The market is unnecessarily destroyed.
Unfortunately I have been guilty of this too - paying atrocious prices for vinyl at one point. I've stopped that long ago, but the damage as somebody said is done, and will continue.

Some interesting facts from Wikipedia.

Dum Dum Recording Studio​

Saregama's recording studio, called Dum Dum studio, was built in 1928 in Calcutta. It is one of the oldest studios in Southeast Asia. Nobel Laureate Rabindranath Tagore had recorded his songs and poems in his voice at this studio. Rebel poet Kazi Nazrul Islam's voice was also recorded here. The Dum Dum Recording studio was also a house for manufacturing and production of Gramophone Records and, after that, Music Cassettes. With the advent of digital formats, the physical structures progressively went out of consumer patronage, and consequently, these manufacturing facilities were shut down.

The year was 1967.

Regards
View attachment 60699
true collector's item and from now onwards, the vinyl community can safely accept Mr. Choudhuri as one of the pioneers in Indian recording and mastering history

I'm trying to illustrate a time series for emergence of Stereo vinyl for Hindi Film Music. Please add your thoughts

First in the row during 1971

Jal Bin Machli Nritya Bin Bijli_LP_Odeon_Front.JPG

Just after this during 1972 second Stereo LP

Dastaan_LP_Odeon_Front.jpg

There was a long gap and during 1975, Sholay a full fledged Stereo LP. by Polydor

Sholay LP_Polydor_1st_Front.jpg

During 1977, Hum Kisise Kam Nahin with Side A in Stereo and Side B in mono

Hum Kisise Kum Nahin LP_EMI_Front_Own.jpg

I'm trying to illustrate a time series for emergence of Stereo vinyl for Hindi Film Music. Please add your thoughts

First in the row during 1971

Just after this during 1972 second Stereo LP

There was a long gap and during 1975, Sholay a full fledged Stereo LP. by Polydor

During 1977, Hum Kisise Kam Nahin with Side A in Stereo and Side B in mono
That explains the Mono pressings of Bollywood LPs released in Pakistan during 70s. I assumed them to be in stereo and Pakistan releases were special cases

Tamil film music director, MS Viswanathan had released a instrumental album, in Stereo recording around late 60s, our Forum member Anilkumar has the same. Even Ramamurthy (of Viswanathan Ramamurthy pair) released an instrumental album, around that time.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back