An enquiry: First Indian Stereo Recording

If you go by first STEREO recording for an LP done in India, it might be
ASD 2295Vilayat Khan & Bismillah Khan

but, first STEREO one "pressed" might be the following one (it was recorded in ABBEY Road Studio in 1966) and the LP was released in the west in 1967 and in India LP was released a year/few months earlier, 1966.
ASD 2294Yehudi Menuhin / Ravi ShankarWest meets East

1629903636167.jpeg
Abbey Road Studio Recording Sheet.
1629903648430.jpeg
1629903723257.jpeg

Below one : USA Release in 1967
1629904293145.jpeg

Seems like , even the ASD 2295 Vilayat Khan & Bismillah Khan LP is also not originally recorded in India. This one might be the recording from Edinburgh Festival. Who knows......

Ref: https://www.independent.co.uk/news/obituaries/bismillah-khan-412865.html

Between 1965 and 1967 Khan breathed life into the word shehnai. In 1965 he and the sitarist Vilayat Khan appeared at the Edinburgh Festival. In 1967 their remarkable album Duets was the inaugural release in His Master Voice/EMI's highly influential "Music From India" series. For the first time, the greater, non-Indian public got a chance to savour the enduring transcendence that only truly great art of Khan's magnitude delivers.

I am fairly certain that Ravi Shanker’s West Meets the East and Rubber soul by the Beatles were the first two stereo LPs made in India. I distinctly remember my friend buying a portable stereo set from a smuggler and looking around for a record to play on it. The record shop in Mangalore procured the only two that were available then by a special order. We then marvelled at the sound for many weeks.

Hi Hiten,
I was expecting some response from you :)

During our conversations over a period of time, he mentioned various equipments he used during those times.

Neumann and Shure (SM58) microphones, Studer B36 (mono), Studer C37 (Stereo) recorders, EMI REDD.37, REDD.51 mixing consoles, Neumann record cutting lathe are some of the machines he talked about.

Seems those were industry standards those time. When Mr Choudhuri left Gramophone company and setup Indian Record Company or INRECO, he used similar machines there too. I have seen the Studer recorder that INRECO used. It was later bought by Concord records.

Regards,
I am a Ph.D. scholar from Chicago researching the early recording industry in Kolkata and Bombay. These seem to be super useful conversations. Mr. Hiten and Mr. Bhaskar, would you mind sharing your contact number/email so that I can be in touch? Many thanks, Ronit

I am a Ph.D. scholar from Chicago researching the early recording industry in Kolkata and Bombay. These seem to be super useful conversations. Mr. Hiten and Mr. Bhaskar, would you mind sharing your contact number/email so that I can be in touch? Many thanks, Ronit
Hello Ronit , welcome to the forum.
These are old posts. Earlier I thought of documenting behind the scene technicians, Master engineers, Recording processes etc. of golden era of bollywood music. I did managed to get to know some people who were in touch (either directly or having friends who knew them) with yesteryears lyricists, equipment manufacturers, Instrumentalists, musicians etc. Overall this is very daunting task. All the concerned people are either old or no more. Finding them is very difficult. Besides may be due to health issuese or being old most are not interested. Also you will have to chaff out authentic information from various sources.
Do tell me more about yourself and what you are trying to achieve. If you want any further information post here or through PM, no problem :). Though compared to others my knowledge is not much. And I have dropped the plan of documenting things due to personal committments.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
An anecdote :
It is common belief that Kishore Kumar's first song was 'marne ki duan kyun mangu?'. But my friend says the first song from Kishoreda was controversial song "15 August ki punyatithi' It was composed by Bala singh and Lyricist was Keshavji Trivedi. The Gentleman Mr. Keshavji Trivedi used to live near my home town Ulhasnagar. As my friend got to knew about this he invited him to do a small programme in Ambernath town as keshavji had also penned many other songs.
Radio Ceylon's Gopalji Sharma who came to know about this from Newspaper, called my friend and expressed his desire to compere the programme. If anyone is old to remember Mr. Gopalji used to broadcast 'Awaaz ki duniya ke dosto' Programme. My friend says of all the surprises Mr. Gopal Sharma used to live in Dombivli; another town just near me.

Regards

A correction to above post. Mr. Gopalji Sharma used to live in Western Mumbai Suburb. he was felicitated along with Keshavji and Veteran Cine flim writer and critique Mr. Isakji Munnawar who at that time used to live in Dombivli. This was around 10 years ago.
Sorry for confusion. 🙏

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back