An enquiry: First Indian Stereo Recording

Mr. P. N. Choudhuri, who was in charge of the recording and mastering of the very first stereo record in HMV's Dumdum studio/plant confirms that record number ASD 2295 DUETS (Vilayat khan and Bismillah Khan) is the first stereo recording done in India by Gramophone Company of India.
Bhaskarda,
can you please ask Mr. Choudhuri what equipments were used during those days. Like Mics, recording equips. Mastering Tapes machines etc.
All details would be highly appreciated.
Thanks and regards.

Bhaskarda,
can you please ask Mr. Choudhuri what equipments were used during those days. Like Mics, recording equips. Mastering Tapes machines etc.
All details would be highly appreciated.
Thanks and regards.
Hi Hiten,
I was expecting some response from you :)

During our conversations over a period of time, he mentioned various equipments he used during those times.

Neumann and Shure (SM58) microphones, Studer B36 (mono), Studer C37 (Stereo) recorders, EMI REDD.37, REDD.51 mixing consoles, Neumann record cutting lathe are some of the machines he talked about.

Seems those were industry standards those time. When Mr Choudhuri left Gramophone company and setup Indian Record Company or INRECO, he used similar machines there too. I have seen the Studer recorder that INRECO used. It was later bought by Concord records.

Regards,

Last edited:
Thanks Bhaskarda. We are not very good at keeping documentation and preserving things. A small incident* (Pardon if repeated in the forum) at the end of the main topic. Few months back I had collected lots of article available online about Technicians, Background musicians, Recording process, interviews of golden age of bollywood music and wanted it to post in the forum. Unfortunately I had to reinstall Chrome and lost all the bookmarks. Will try to gather again. Few year back I had a contact with a person whose friend was in bollywood in 60s, 70s. I enquired if any technical information or Recording technicians are known to him. He said most of them are either gone or living life in seclusion or have lost touch. And it would be tremendous task to contact and gather information.
Thanks for sharing dada.

* How good are British at preserving things ? We at Kalyan have more than a 100 years old Bridge built by british company Richardson and Cruddas. After 100 years My town's Municipality got letter from the company who built that bridge and warned that the life of bridge is over and necessary precaution should be taken.

Regards

Thanks Bhaskarda. We are not very good at keeping documentation and preserving things. A small incident* (Pardon if repeated in the forum) at the end of the main topic. Few months back I had collected lots of article available online about Technicians, Background musicians, Recording process, interviews of golden age of bollywood music and wanted it to post in the forum. Unfortunately I had to reinstall Chrome and lost all the bookmarks. Will try to gather again. Few year back I had a contact with a person whose friend was in bollywood in 60s, 70s. I enquired if any technical information or Recording technicians are known to him. He said most of them are either gone or living life in seclusion or have lost touch. And it would be tremendous task to contact and gather information.
Thanks for sharing dada.

* How good are British at preserving things ? We at Kalyan have more than a 100 years old Bridge built by british company Richardson and Cruddas. After 100 years My town's Municipality got letter from the company who built that bridge and warned that the life of bridge is over and necessary precaution should be taken.

Regards
Very true. We never took care of our legacy seriously. As a result of which we are needed to re-invent the wheel afresh every occasion.
Mr. Choudhury acquired the expertise and made the Classic 700 MM cartridge. AFAIK, he was the only one in India who ever made a MM Cart. And after him there have been a big void. There was no passing of the batton. That's really a pity.

Regarding the technicians (sound recordists, tape operators etc), I have been trying to get some information too. But as you said, the few of them surviving are very difficult to locate.
There is one Mr Sushanta Banerjee, who did excellent work of sound recording in HMV, Dumdum. Any record mentioning his name as sound recordist is sure to be of top notch quality, in my experience. Till 2019 he was alive. I'm trying to locate him. Corona is making the job very tough.

Regards

Thanks Bhaskarda. All the best for your efforts. Plaease do share updates.

EEI Cartridges I think were based on some Australian cartridge making company. Though they were made in india in those days. If I remember they even carried measurement charts from Indian Electronic Standards testing labs.
Regds.

Thanks Bhaskarda. All the best for your efforts. Plaease do share updates.

EEI Cartridges I think were based on some Australian cartridge making company. Though they were made in india in those days. If I remember they even carried measurement charts from Indian Electronic Standards testing labs.
Regds.
Hiten,

EEEI or Electrical and Electronics Enterprise of India is the name of Mr Choudhuri's company which was making various cartridges in Kolkata. The Australian one is EEI or Elite Electronic Industries from Australia.
EEEI made Classic700 MM and various ceramic cartridges. He also made various OEM cartridges for Shure, Garrard, Philips etc. Classic 700 is supposed to be same as Shure M75. Both had same bodies.

Regards

oh! didn't knew they were different Bhaskarda. Good to know and pleasant surprise.
@bhaskarcan da and @Hiten very insightful information. These Classic 700 has been very famous amongst Indian Audiophiles.
In late 80s we had Pioneer turntable and its original cartridge was replaced by Classic 700. It came in nice packaging in square cube type box and silver foil printing if I remember.

@bhaskarcan da, someone told me the recording machines from Megaphone were procured by Usha Uthup for her personal studio. I have got a few spool recordings of Megaphone OSTs from that connect too. Hence trust this story.

Somehow INRECO marketing was on till a few days ago. I have got that pristine Anatara Chowdhury LP ( a recording marvel) and a few other gems (EPs) from their NOS inventory.

oh! didn't knew they were different Bhaskarda. Good to know and pleasant surprise.

In late 80s we had Pioneer turntable and its original cartridge was replaced by Classic 700. It came in nice packaging in square cube type box and silver foil printing if I remember.
Yes Hiten, they had this nice box packing.

Yes Hiten, Classic 700 had a nice box packing.

WhatsApp Image 2021-08-12 at 9.25.04 AM.jpegWhatsApp Image 2021-08-12 at 9.25.59 AM.jpegWhatsApp Image 2021-08-12 at 9.30.09 AM.jpeg

Somehow INRECO marketing was on till a few days ago. I have got that pristine Anatara Chowdhury LP ( a recording marvel) and a few other gems (EPs) from their NOS inventory.
You're lucky. I have been looking for the Antara Chowdhury EPs for a long time - childhood memories :)

Yes Bhaskarda ours was same phono cartridge (But I guess black or blue ink printed) with same silver foil stamping. Thanks for sharing. Nice memories I have about these when we didn't cared about sound quality.
On Topic : Which Indian pressing (regardless of genre, language) has good stereo effect.

warm regards.

Just before lockdown in 2019 , I have procured almost 150 Bengali EP and SPs from a Kolkata seller. Got all Anatara Chowdhury EPs in that lot and few more from INRECO.
Does INRECO have anymore NOS LPs EPs? Is it possible to buy from them? It would be nice if you can help me.
Thanks

Yes Bhaskarda ours was same phono cartridge (But I guess black or blue ink printed) with same silver foil stamping. Thanks for sharing. Nice memories I have about these when we didn't cared about sound quality.
On Topic : Which Indian pressing (regardless of genre, language) has good stereo effect.

warm regards.
Hiten,
There's a thread going on about good sounding Hindi vinyl. There you can get info about records with good stereo effect.
Regarding regional/Bengali records we are discussing same in this thread:
I am also interested in good sounding records of other languages too.

Best Regards,

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back