• Hello and Welcome to HiFiVision.com - an online community for the home entertainment and tech enthusiasts!

If you would like to ask a question, participate in a discussion and view attachments please Register yourself.

Another black bars thread

Rega

nfsfan

hi..got my pv8 and enjoying it thoroughly.

HD looks great when played thru pc, even through a vga cable.

I have a sony dav dz 120k htib, with a component out. I have set the type of tv in the htib settings as 16:9. Now, when i play divx and dvd movies the tv set is showing black bars. just as it used to show on my crt.

They are not perfectly 16:9(1.78:1), but 1.81:1. They should show black bars, but only minute.
Also, my DON dvd is 16:9 anamorphic, and it still shows black bars.

Anybody has the solution?

Last edited:

marsilians

Please search through the forum. This has been discussed a fair bit before.

hi..got my pv8 and enjoying it thoroughly.

HD looks great when played thru pc, even through a vga cable.

I have a sony dav dz 120k htib, with a component out. I have set the type of tv in the htib settings as 16:9. Now, when i play divx and dvd movies the tv set is showing black bars. just as it used to show on my crt.

They are not perfectly 16:9(1.78:1), but 1.81:1. They should show black bars, but only minute.
Also, my DON dvd is 16:9 anamorphic, and it still shows black bars.

Anybody has the solution?

nfsfan

Please search through the forum. This has been discussed a fair bit before.

Did Read those threads. that is why put another black bars thread as the name :rolleyes:

Actually even the 16:9 movies(1.78:1) are showing black bars, which they should not.

So the question.

Last edited:

RAC

^^wish I could burst out laughing (in office and surrounded, you see, so can't). Thanks for making me smile.

marsilians

Did Read those threads. that is why put another black bars thread as the name :rolleyes:

Actually even the 16:9 movies(1.78:1) are showing black bars, which they should not.

So the question.

Its OK for 16:9 to still show the bars on top/bottom as stated in other threads. This is the so called letter box mode.

nfsfan

Its OK for 16:9 to still show the bars on top/bottom as stated in other threads. This is the so called letter box mode.

i understand that should happen in the dvd movies. But for divx movies shouldnt the whole screen fill up if the content is 1.78:1(For example, the hdtv rips in xvid)?
My player is set to 16:9 already, and i cant figure the black bars!

adder

i understand that should happen in the dvd movies. But for divx movies shouldnt the whole screen fill up if the content is 1.78:1(For example, the hdtv rips in xvid)?

well if u play a 2.35:1 u will get biggest black bars followed by 1.85:1 followed by 1.78:1.some movies do show black bars at some scenes like the darknight bluray,in some scenes u don't get black bars and in some u do.

Last edited:

nfsfan

why will a 1.78:1 divx movie show black bars at all? isnt that supposed to be viewed full screen on a widescreen tv?

marsilians

Someone else may help as I don't watch ripped movies. I am not even sure how one looks on a TV.

nfsfan

tried playing a 1.33:1 rip today. Strangely enough it is playing full screen! no black bars on either side.

My sony htib has 2 options:
screen : 16:9/4:3 letterbox/4:3 pan scan

i have selected 16:9 here.

Also there is an option that says 4:3 output : normal/full

i have selected full, as when i select the normal, the output comes to a 4:3 screen only,i.e black bars on either side regardless whether movie is widescreen or 1.33:1!