Another diy project on the anvil

GeorgeO

I stopped posting here since there was nothing new after my Tannoy MG back loaded horns were done some months ago. I have been in the process of restoring some vintage Klangfilm amps but that is a long drawn out process. In the meantime, I have embarked on a SET amp project that is meant to be used with my high sensitivity Altec speakers-possibly to biamp them.

A lot of designs and options were evaluated before I finally selected the Wavelength Audio Bugle, a design offered to the audio community by SET amp guru J Gordon Rankin This uses 45 tubes and outputs 1.75 wpc in Class A. I have got most of the parts needed for the build, such as OPTs(James), mains transformer, chokes(Hammond), triodes and rectifier, and some other bits and pieces. I hope to get the remaining components-valve holders, hardware, resistors and capacitors) shortly and will then start on the build.

I will update when I have made significant progress.

George,

It's good to see the constant churn of projects going on in your digs!
Hardly the dust settles on one project when you seem to have another (or two) more.

Looking forward to hear the new Tannoys on my next visit.

Regards.

Hi Nikhil

As the song goes-It's a long long road, with many a winding turn that takes you....The truth is that sometimes the journey is a little more enjoyable and interesting than the destination!

I got lucky with some things-got some high quality vintage 45s, made some mistakes like finding that the OPTs I initially ordered were actually better suited to 2A3s and 300Bs, so have ordered the right ones. So where does that leave me now? I just might jump onto the holy grail of 300Bs after this build is done-so yes you can say that there are few winding turns along the way..

Cheers

Good going George!

A 300B project would be something to look forward to.
Care to share which 300B you're getting your hands on this time.

Regards

Nikhil
Once my SET 45 amp is completed I'll look around at the available 300B options. Doing a diy amp using PCBs is considerably easier from my perspective than PTO wiring. It's a bigger ticket item though.

Hi Nikhil
I yielded to temptation and decided to jump onto another SET amp project while I'm visiting the US. This is the DG 300B amp featured on Neurochrome Audio: High performance DIY audio circuits. and uses PCBs. There is a detailed 43 page build thread on head-fi which has all the info required by any builder, costs, photos, layouts, problems, solutions. As many know, the 300B tube is among the best triodes and I also picked up a pair of JJ 300Bs. I'm ordering a bunch of parts from Digikey and other vendors. Bottom line, not a project for the fainthearted!
If you're going to be asking for costs on a 300B project, it's like you wandered into a 5 star hotel without a credit card!

I've started on the boards. There are six PCBs two large ones which are the driver board and the PS board. These have the maximum number of components. The are four smaller boards which also need to be done. I found that I had not ordered all the components correctly and a supplementary order to Digikey needs to be done. I've got my mains tranny custom ordered and it's been delivered. Now to get the chassis. I'm targeting completion by end March if all goes well.
Parallel work on my Bugle 45 project is going on, hopefully will be in hand shortly. I look forward to hearing SET sound in the near future.
Will post after projects are completed.

One of my two projects is up and running-the 45 amp(The Wavelength Bugle) has been completed and working well, it's running quite cool and not heating up much. It's a design offered to the diy community by audio guru Gordon Rankin, who founded and runs a very well known audio mfr Wavelength Audio. Its a single ended Class A design using vintage 45s, and 5751 tubes with Mullard GZ34s as rectifiers, output is a 2.5 wpc. It is a dual mono-two monoblocks on a single chassis. Chassis is made of mahogany and the top plate is copper. I have incorporated two sets of taps for 8 and 16 ohms since I have speakers with both impedences.

Unfortunately I am not able to post photographs here since the process is very cumbersome, if possible I may get someone else to do it for me..

For now I have used Solen capacitors for the most part, with a few Mundorfs and Vishay Roedersteins, and decent resistors. I may upgrade a few of them at a later date but not in the immediate future.The OPTs are from Onetics which is a decent entry level US brand. There is a whole raft of options should one want to select-from Magnequest to Hashimoto to lower cost ones, I chose what was my optimal set of components. Mains trafo is Indian.

These builds have very high voltages involved and are not for meant for the inexperienced builder. They also need to be matched with high sensitivity speakers to sound preform at their best. If implemented properly thought, the rewards are there ti be had.

One of my two projects is up and running-the 45 amp(The Wavelength Bugle) has been completed and working well, it's running quite cool and not heating up much. It's a design offered to the diy community by audio guru Gordon Rankin, who founded and runs a very well known audio mfr Wavelength Audio. Its a single ended Class A design using vintage 45s, and 5751 tubes with Mullard GZ34s as rectifiers, output is a 2.5 wpc. It is a dual mono-two monoblocks on a single chassis. Chassis is made of mahogany and the top plate is copper. I have incorporated two sets of taps for 8 and 16 ohms since I have speakers with both impedences.

Unfortunately I am not able to post photographs here since the process is very cumbersome, if possible I may get someone else to do it for me..

would love to see the pics!! you can post it on the google photos and just share a link the album/pics. would be much simpler.

The Bugle is performing very well and has handily exceeded expectations. The flea power is quite substantial when mated to high sensitivity speakers like Tannoy MGs. I'm now working on the 300Bs but have hit distracted with my KF vintage amps.

I have got some of the components soldered and then found to my dismay my ordering was not correct, have placed orders with Mouser and Digikey for some additional components. These will reach next week. I bought some very high quality silver solder from a local mfr Hybrid Metals and initial impressions are very good. I had initially considered importing some but this is as good and much more affordable. Anyone interested can check their website which is how I contacted them.

I'm planning to order a prototype chassis in metal and assemble everything in it and then later migrate into a proper one. I need a heatsink of about 125-150 mm length, 80 mm width with 25 mm or more deep fins. Any suggestions?
In the meantime I'm enjoying the Bugle which is very nice and looking at cloning one for my son.I have a fair bit of travel this month so need to plan the activities in spare time.

Hello George,

For Heat Sinks you can check the Below Link.
Aluminium heatsink, Heat sink in bangalore, Heatsink stockist, Heatsink dealer, Heatsink supplier, Aluminium LED Heatsinks, Aluminium Reflector Sheets, Aluminium Caul board Sheet 2.5mm, Aluminium Plywood sheets, Aluminium Alloy Rods,plates in 2014, 7

They have plenty of varieties. One more thing, if you are purchasing from them, then do not get the heat sinks anodized from them, They anodize the heat sink for a very cheap price but quality is very bad.

Regards,
Sadik Bhatkar

Last edited:
Sadik
I checked their site out and it looks promising, though at the other end of town! A question here-do they cut small pieces for hobbyist use?

Thanks

Hi George,

I Bought 4 Heat sinks (Model N9 I guess) of 120 mm length from them for my 30 Watts Jean Hiraga Amp. The rate was reasonable, You can e mail them your requirement. They also ship in small quantity.

I stay in Gujarat, where road permit is necessary to get the material shipped here, so i had to place them Order from my company's name.

If you have friend staying there in Bangalore and arrange for collecting the material personally then also they can deal with you.

You can mail them and get your doubts cleared. they will definitely answer to you mail.

Sadik Bhatkar

George,

I have got multiple small pieces from them and they do cut small pieces for hobbyist. You can call them and they may even courier it to your location locally.

Thanks
Balaji

Sadik
I checked their site out and it looks promising, though at the other end of town! A question here-do they cut small pieces for hobbyist use?

Thanks

Update:

I went across to Perfect Metals recently and got my heatsinks from them.Prompt service and excellent value for money. They cut the piece( very smooth finish,BTW) to my dimension while I waited, and price was a mere Rs 245. Amazon India was 470, plus shipping for something similar,I had budgeted a little more but this was a steal. Strongly recommended!

Thanks for pointing me there!

I am currently in the US where a few other items needed to be ordered both for this project as well as another one in the pipeline. I use Parts Connexion in Toronto for a lot of my DIY stuff. They are very good to deal with and I am sure that many others here also have used them. I got a detailed quote before leaving India, and once I reached the US just called and gave cc info.Shipping was prompt and items reached me in two days. I dont want to pay the ridiculous customs duties that are applicable, post May 1.

Last edited by a moderator:
The last few things in the pipeline have reached or will reach me today. These comprise of OPTs, tube sockets( ceramic), a few more capacitors and some remaining components. I got some good chassis mount RCAs and binding posts. By and large things ordered online here comes quickly, is very well packed and easy to order and track.

I plan to get the build tested and completed as soon as possible. Chassis options are to be quickly analyzed and firmed up to get the last bit in place. Options are either all-aluminium or wood with laser cut copper sheet on top.

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back