anti virus

nandac

recently in search for a flac to mp3 converter, i downloaded freeware suggested in a yahoo q/a thread and found my computer infected with magnipic.

for a week i struggled to remove it. i have mcafee and secureheal, neither of which even detect/consider magnipic as a virus, which with multiple threads hogs up most of the ram and hangs the computer.

then on a collegue's suggestion i installed microsoft essentials which finally cleaned my computer of the infection.

so what anti virus do you guys use and how effective are they?

btw just to let you guys know, cnet is no more a sure/safe proposition when downloading software.

I would hate to fall into the the trap of believing that Linux is safe from all such things: that is just blinkered and stupid, and a false sense of security that, one day, is going to get exploited ...but, at least we are not the target of almost every virus writer and mischievous kiddie in the world, and Windows is. We are not a magnet for every virus, trojan, bot or other nasty. So... first, I do not run Windows, and I do run ClamAV, although I don't worry about it too much.

On the Windows side, if I must go there, I use Windows Security Essentials. My attitude to Microsoft and their products is probably beginning to show, but I recommend this one as being the lesser of the available evils. It is the only security software I've found so far that is not so huge and bloated that it takes most of the machine's processing power just to load and run it. This is particularly important when working with old, slow machines: it is the only thing that didn't cripple my 9-yr-old laptop.

I keep a copy of Malwarebytes handy, too.

Last edited:
Avast Antivirus + Comodo Firewall.

Avast is quite good .I am using professional version from past 3 years and going good.Nowdays firewall comes inbuilt with Antivirus software i.e provided as Internet security + antivirus .But it is good to have a more advanced firewall (software) for filtering incoming as well as outgoing packets.Some antivirus give false negative alarms for usable connection/exe's or treat it as virus.Always good to have two different companies compatible products for better depth of detection.
Comodo Firewall is freeware and gives regular updates.

Regards.

Vardesh

Well...when I bought my new laptop 2.5 years ago, I initially tried to use some free antivirus like Avast etc. but I got so annoyed of all those annoying popups and update message appearing all the time and still I was skeptical about being caught by some virus one day, because I thought I was using a free antivirus.

Then I directly visited Norton website and bought Norton 360 for 3 years in around Rs. 5000. And I must tell you, I have never faced any security issues since then.
I have visited every good, bad and ugly website and download stuff from here and there without caring about virus....and I feel protected all the time.
And Norton has updated their versions thrice in last 2 years and they allowed me to update the new versions for free without any extra cost. I don't feel like there is some antivirus software running in my pc, whatever happens ..happens and nothing bad happens at all. No virus at all while I am using Norton 360.

Now Norton is providing an update for next 3 years in Rs. 3990 and I can also use it a new computer, in case I wanna shift.
So one can say, I am satisfied customer of Norton.

Linux is not as safe as pro-founded by most Linux users. It can be exploited too with the right set of tools, but is safer as compared to windows.
For Windows, I would suggest to use Avast Antivirus, as it sandboxes most applications when you run them , saving your computer from Virus.
The premium version would be even better at Virtual sandboxing.

I am using Avast Free AV since the last 4 years. No problems encountered till date. The virus definitions are updated daily and the virus engine regularly.

unitll few years back,I had been using Avira AntiVir, but once Ms esstentials came in picture, moved over.
had be happy with antivir earlier and now with Ms Essentials.

And also that , using Chrome helps! which does a preliminary check on the website you have visited.

Few other essential tools for maintenance
CCleaner.
Spybot for Immunize features.

Last edited:
I use Microsoft Essentials, it is good to detect and thwart the virus and the best part it occupies very limited space compared to commercially available anti-virus softwares. Hence if you have the genuine Windows the best anti-virus is Essentials (more so as it is a genuine and free from Microsoft).

Few other essential tools for maintenance
CCleaner.
Spybot for Immunize features.

CCleaner is good, as is the defrag software from the same company.

Spybot... forgot about that one... yes, it was a regular back in my Windows days.

Avast Free
Comodo Firewall
Malwarebytes
SUPERAntispyware
IObit malware fighter
CCleaner

Yes, that keeps me clean and snappy, and all of them are free.

Using Kaspersky from last 2.5 years till date no problem no problem in speed jst awsum to me n its database updates almost in every 2-3 days.

Sent from my ST15i using Tapatalk 2

recently in search for a flac to mp3 converter, i downloaded freeware suggested in a yahoo q/a thread and found my computer infected with magnipic.

for a week i struggled to remove it. i have mcafee and secureheal, neither of which even detect/consider magnipic as a virus, which with multiple threads hogs up most of the ram and hangs the computer.

then on a collegue's suggestion i installed microsoft essentials which finally cleaned my computer of the infection.

so what anti virus do you guys use and how effective are they?

Pls try avast anti virus

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back