Any alternatives to Discogs ?

Shylo

Is Discogs the best place to source vinyls ?? They seem to have a very exhaustive collection. Rates are also very affordable (I understand many of the vinyls are not brand new, even so), just that the shipping charges hurts :mad:

:cheers:

Is Discogs the best place to source vinyls ?? They seem to have a very exhaustive collection. Rates are also very affordable (I understand many of the vinyls are not brand new, even so), just that the shipping charges hurts :mad:

:cheers:

what kind of vinyls are you looking for? i have a very good collection

Is Discogs the best place to source vinyls ??

There is no such thing as 'the best place' for all this. Some records (i''m talking about used LPs) are cheaper on Discogs in comparison with eBay or Amazon..others are cheaper on eBay. Basically you need to keep watching all these 3 places (very rarely would you find anything on the american Amazon site...but I got a rare used record on Amazon for 25$ that goes for 80$ average on discogs. So it doesn't hurt to keep an eye on Amazon as well).

Lot of independent record labels also sell used LPs in their online stores.

Last edited:
How does one import used records from discogs and others seeing that import of used records is not allowed into India?

If you are ok with Japanese pressings (used only), do check snowrecords.com. They do have US pressings as well but not very many.

seeing that import of used records is not allowed into India?

From where did you get that info? Correct me if I'm wrong but I think you only need to pay customs for used electronic items that you buy from abroad. Not used LPs (it's a different thing if you exceed the weight limit).

I have bought used records from discogs n Ebay quite a few times. Shipped it to India. Haven't paid custom duty fees so far. Though I've never bought more than 5 LPs (used) at once.

Ah, maybe I was just getting mixed up. Sorry, my bad.

From where did you get that info? Correct me if I'm wrong but I think you only need to pay customs for used electronic items that you buy from abroad. Not used LPs (it's a different thing if you exceed the weight limit).

I have bought used records from discogs n Ebay quite a few times. Shipped it to India. Haven't paid custom duty fees so far. Though I've never bought more than 5 LPs (used) at once.

@shylo, being in Bangalore, have you checked with Absolute Phase? They do stock vinyl. No idea of pricing.

Good to know. Would appreciate it if you could mail me a list of the titles you have for sale with the condition of the record and sleeve/jacket. Will pm you my email id

what kind of vinyls are you looking for? i have a very good collection

Thanks once again peace_sells for your valuable inputs. Seems you have been active in the Vinyl world for quite sometime now :eek:hyeah:

Also, do share the names of some of the independent record labels who sell pre-owned lp's .. Thanks

There is no such thing as 'the best place' for all this. Some records (i''m talking about used LPs) are cheaper on Discogs in comparison with eBay or Amazon..others are cheaper on eBay. Basically you need to keep watching all these 3 places (very rarely would you find anything on the american Amazon site...but I got a rare used record on Amazon for 25$ that goes for 80$ average on discogs. So it doesn't hurt to keep an eye on Amazon as well).

Lot of independent record labels also sell used LPs in their online stores.

Thanks once again peace_sells for your valuable inputs. Seems you have been active in the Vinyl world for quite sometime now :eek:hyeah:

Also, do share the names of some of the independent record labels who sell pre-owned lp's .. Thanks

Nah I've been collecting LPs for around 2 years now. Still a newbie. But yes I'm quite passionate about it :)

As far as names of the indie stores is concerned.. I don't think you (or anyone here for that matter) would be interested in the LPs on sale in the stores that I know..But i'll list a couple just in case.

US + Exoten: AC/DC -- The Chris Tetley Interviews PLP - ACTION! -- K

Second hand - Svart Records

Was checking out discogs. It is a marketplace style store with individual sellers. Would appreciate any expert tips for buying from here.

Lug home 20 odd LPs that you'd just picked up from your favorite LPwala and feel it getting heavier and heavier:) Vinyl is quite heavy. No wonder it costs a lot to ship (and pack properly).

Shylo said:
Is Discogs the best place to source vinyls ??
Yes I have gotton some there..... I have gotton some on Ebay and Amazon also.. (I got an amazing cassette from ebay)

I was looking for a REG COPY of Ratts 1st album on cassette (THAT WAS NOT SR (Spectral Recording)) and I found it there...... EXCELLENT!!

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back