Any Blu-ray player suggestions from experts?

inshadesofgrey

I am getting the Optoma GT-750E projector from Canada this month, and am looking for a 3-D blu-ray player to go with it.

I narrowed down my choice to Panasonic BDT220 (from infibeam) for ONE primary reason and that is that it can be region unlocked - but apparently the cost is around 40 euros so it throws my budget off

Any suggestions for a 3-D blu-ray player that can be region-unlocked?
- my budget is around 10-11k

NOT the DVD region - the blu-ray regions

Ps. I looked into the Toshiba blu-ray as suggested elsewhere in this forum, but its too expensive
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Toshiba-BDX...2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1349946252&sr=1-2

You are buying a 720p 3D projector costing nearly US$ 675 (not including cost of 3D glasses) and only willing to spend 11k on 3D BDP?

One option is to get DMP-BDT220 from Canada where it may be costing less. Second option is to get Toshiba BX3200KB from amazon, uk and make it region free via firmware. Note that BX3200KB is being replaced by newer model and may be obsoleted soon.

Toshiba has the 3300KB for 70 pounds but that does not play 3d and this is a new 2012 product

the 4300KB does play 3d and goes for 70 pounds as well..wonder how they can have two products at same price with a difference in capability. ( realised later that 3300 has wifi and 4300 doesnt)

can the 4300 be made region free?
the 3200 is 140 pounds

My friend is in London for a week starting today and he can get me something small..wondering what else is worth getting from UK

Last edited:
Hi..can you confirm if the 4300 be made region free? googling didnt yield any results and in its manual it says it only plays one region which is on the back of the player..

I already have a philips blu ray player - sparsely used- 1 year old - If I can get 2.5K on this and spent 6K on the Toshiba..will be a great deal:yahoo:

Hi..can you confirm if the 4300 be made region free? googling didnt yield any results and in its manual it says it only plays one region which is on the back of the player..

I already have a philips blu ray player - sparsely used- 1 year old - If I can get 2.5K on this and spent 6K on the Toshiba..will be a great deal:yahoo:

As far as I know, only the 3200 model can be made region free via firmware. Whether updated firmware for the new model has been developed, I am not sure. In that respect the guy at firmwareinfo keeps developing the latest firmware for the latest players, but only for Panasonic.

Sent from my GT-I9100G using Tapatalk 2

*blu-ray discs go 700Rs,
*3d blu-ray discs go 1400Rs
*usb on bdp is useless for many formats
*web interface is crap

media player
free or minimal cost for rips,4-8gb can do wonders
much more

Are u sure you want BDp?

*blu-ray discs go 700Rs,
*3d blu-ray discs go 1400Rs
*usb on bdp is useless for many formats
*web interface is crap

media player
free or minimal cost for rips,4-8gb can do wonders
much more

Are u sure you want BDp?

Useless post in a thread asking for BDp, :indifferent14:, If you have a decently good screen, then yes BD does make a difference. To get similar quality you need to get atleast the 22-23GB BD rips. With the kind of pathetic internet speed in India that takes atleast 3-4 days of continuous downloading, its far better to buy BDs IMO.

And isnt talking about illegal rips not allowed on this site????

Useless post in a thread asking for BDp, :indifferent14:, If you have a decently good screen, then yes BD does make a difference. To get similar quality you need to get atleast the 22-23GB BD rips. With the kind of pathetic internet speed in India that takes atleast 3-4 days of continuous downloading, its far better to buy BDs IMO.

And isnt talking about illegal rips not allowed on this site????
Personally, I am against downloads. I used to do it in the past but stopped it long ago. I prefer to buy original and my argument against downloads is similar to yours:

- true quality rips takes ages to download
- lower size/compressed movies suffer from quality

Hence I buy.

Personally, I am against downloads. I used to do it in the past but stopped it long ago. I prefer to buy original and my argument against downloads is similar to yours:

- true quality rips takes ages to download
- lower size/compressed movies suffer from quality

Hence I buy.

+1

On ebay if you you search for blu-rays - some great titles are available for Rs. 500 a piece. I got some awesome titles from Amazon marketplace for $2-3) - the trick is to contact the seller - and he'll do combined shipping (if you ask nicely) - ofcourse I am talking about used titles - but some of them are in pristine condition, others: the disc is fine, but no case)

inshadesofgrey, did you arrive at any decision?

Yea - thanks to your review- ordered a BDT-220 from overstock.com - came to 11,000 all inclusive - expecting delivery by Oct. 24-30

They have horrible reviews on some sites (which i discovered after ordering - lol) but i got my DHL tracking number the very next day - so we'll see how it is when it arrives

the Upscaling capabilities + unlockability were the clinchers.

Now waiting for my Optoma GT750E and the 20-30 blu-rays i have ordered from all different corners of the world (eBay used and amazon marketplace)

Good. I am happy that the review helped.

It did

This is crazy - My package has already arrived at delhi! Thats in a flat 2 days. Now, I am hope the customs etc doesn't take time.

DHL tracking
Saturday, October 20, 2012
Arrived at Sort Facility DELHI (NEW DELHI) - INDIA - 16:53

Back