Need a region Free Blu Ray Player

andy78

Hi Guys,

As the title suggests I'm looking for a Region Free 3 D Blu Ray Player.
Currently I don't have any player like DVD,ACD etc hence I was planning to get a Blu Ray Player instead of getting a DVD Player.
I know some folks here may suggest to go for a Blu Ray Drive instead but that would not suffice my need to watch anything on my TV.
I currently have Onkyo 3500.

Will appreciate suggestion.

Thanks,
Andy

Last edited:
It is actually smart to buy a used player on this forum, because usually the FMs who buy such players have done their research. Most of the times you end up getting a region free blu ray player which is a good thing as players go! (Mine is not by the way).

The toshiba is a basement bargain according to me. The call is yours.

Vinod

You know many many years ago I'd done considerable research on this. At that time I found that you could make a player region free for DVDs using specifically modified firmware but to make a player region free for Blu Rays you needed a mod -a hardware chip - that had to be soldered in.

Does this still hold true or has the world moved on to more elegant ways?

@Tanoj

The Toshiba player that baiju/spiro are talking about is the BD3200 which has 2 models one made in UK and another made in Germany. Both can be made region free for DVD/Bluray with just a custom firmware. I have one brought thru a friend from amazon.de and the only different in mine and the UK model is that mine does not do bitstreaming of DTS-HD or Dolby-TruHD (not sure but one it does not do). This model I think is discontinued and they have released new models which I think cannot be made region free with a custom firmware but as you said a hardware mod.

option 1

well, if I may divert the topic

I built a HTPC from the scratch and what it does

plays music with a DAC
vinyl digitization using a soundcard
ripping my BDs by makeMKV+handbrake+mkvmerge
region free BD playback and media tank for my projector

what I like most is it has staggering connecivity (HDMI,VGA,DVI,3.5mm rca in/out, optical out,ample USB slots,card reader,WiFi..)

can't think of anything that it can't do, I always felt a HTPC if built with care can be a treat for a long long time, mine is running for last 5 years and it didn't consume all the funding in one shot, slowly I invested and it became envious

so definitely an option if one has interest and patience, icing on the cake is in India almost all softwares can be arranged (I don't promote piracy, please don't get me wrong, I am already bankrupt of buying BDs)

think of it, a good BD HTPC should come around 30K and that too not in one go, one can choose each componet at his will and when funds permit

option 2

coming to terms

I myself also have done this

Pioneer BDP 450 - I found it excellent at that price tag (I bought it at 10K)

Brand New Pioneer BDP-450 3D Blu-ray Player | eBay

and made it region free by

Pioneer BDP 150 140 440 450 LX55 Custom FW Support BD3D ISO Sacdiso SMB NFS 4988028139505 | eBay

again one can buy

Panasonic DMP BDT320GA Bluray Player+Bill+3Months Seller Warranty | eBay

and make it region free by

Panasonic All Zone Multi Region Code Free Blu Ray Player Firmware Upgrade CD | eBay

again if one has 40-50K funds, then the best option is

OPPO 103

OPPO Digital BDP 103 Multi Region Code Free 3D Blu Ray Player 4K Upscaling New 898072002103 | eBay

but after doing two region free BD projects I have realized actually its not required - if one is not keen on seeing the rarest of films in BD, he can always manage a region free copy by exercising certain care during the purchase, I know couple of BDs which are only released in region locked format, one can avoid that, can't he?

Last edited:
Simplest Option would be getting 2 bluray players, region a and region b...

Most of india stuff is region free anyways!

I was looking for a Zone/Region free 3D Blu-Ray player for quite some time now. Considered Orei BDP-M2 from Amazon USA and other sellers but it did not work out amicably.

Took forum members suggestions, and finally opted for Pioneer BDP-450, installed the CFW from Ebay and now the player plays all kinds of BDs and DVDs. It perfectly acts as a media player also. It plays all kinds of formats I have thrown at it. The colour rendition and resolution is outstanding. Audio is pristine.
It's bit slow in reading the files on a 32 GB USB stick with files larger 8 GB. Like skipping to next chapter takes considerable time. Fast forward works fine.

Connected my WD 4 TB, USB 3.0 external hard drive, works like a charm. No lagging, ease of search, accessing files flawlessly :clapping:

As you can see from box pics (it was factory sealed when I purchased), initial setting was Zone A for BD and Region 3 for DVD. After CFW, I have changed manually BD Zone to B (as my majority of BDs are from UK) and DVD Region to 0 (region free).

zcmu.jpg

407j.jpg

h9af.jpg

Overall satisfied with the player and CFW :)

@Rajan

What is the firmware it came with? and what's your current CFW version ?

Please post from where you got the CFW if its above 4.0.4?

Am about to get my BDP-450 delivered and yet to know its default FW version :rolleyes:

Update:

I got my BDP-450 (got it for 15k on snapdeal, mfg oct 2013) delivered with official firmware 2.0.9

I have successfully moved to CFW 4.0.4 at no extra cost by following the downgrade/followed by upgrade to 4.0.4 procedure that is available free at avs forum. Now my player is DVD Region free and i can change BD region as many times as i wish.

Anyone need links for necessary files, please google around they are easily available or PM me.

Last edited:
Hi,

I use the BDP LX 55 and it does work like a charm. It is Region A (Blu Ray) and 3 for DVD. So far it plays all formats...excellent audio and video quality as separate soundcards etc. Mrp is 30k...got it for 17k last year.

HiFi Mart has the Marantz Universal Blu Ray available with region free option

Hope this helps

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back