Any review or feedback on Galalite Home Theater screens?

john_k_antony

Friends,

I would like to get some feedback / reviews on Galalite (GALALITE) Home theater screens. I am looking at the following models

1. Satin Premium Non Perforated, 150", 16:9, aluminium fixed frame. This is most suitable for a dedicated room with no ambient light. This is the cheapest option.
2. Super Matte Non Perforated, 150", 16:9, aluminum fixed frame. This is suitable for motorized installation as well.

The projector I am going to use is Epson TW8000.

The price of both the screens are around 40k + around 3-4K for installation charges.

Do you guys think this is a good option to go for? I was initially planning to do a DIY screen using plywood and Goo screen paints. I am now little skeptical of building the DIY screen as I don't feel the carpenters I have got for my interiors are capable enough to create a screen with plywood and paint.

Screen Details Below

Satin Premium

Satin Premium is a flexible front projection matte-white screen designed for maximum detail clarity when used with 1080p projectors. This low gain material is an optimal
lambertiant diffuser and disperses light in a near perfect hemispherical distribution allowing for smooth, even light reflection. The Satin Premium has an extremely smooth
surface allowing for better focus capabilities, providing superb resolution for high end home theaters and studios.

The Satin Premium is a professional screen primarily intended for use in post-production and optical lab scenarios. It will perform best in a black, non-reflective room environment.
Near perfect lambertiant diffuser unity gain reference screen
Near perfect white field uniformity
Superior performance in environments where ambient light can be controlled
Extremely wide viewing cone works well in locations with off axis seating areas

Features

Gain 1.1
Half Gain Full lambertiant diffuser
Ambient Light Front Reflectance Value 85% per foot candle
Ambient Light Resistance Controlled lighting is required
Edge Blending Properties Yes
Lay Flat Quality Fair
Flame Resistance Yes

Super Matte

Super Matte is an innovative front projection screen surface that is formulated to maximize the performance of todays Hi-Definition technology. This High gain
screen improves uniformity for consistent brightness across the entire screen. A great choice for roller applications due to excellent lay flat qualities.
The black reverse surface is particularly suitable where there is ambient light behind the screens.

Application

Super Matte surfaces are recommended for only roller applications due to its excellent lay flat quality.
The surface cannot be folded for transit or storage; roll packing must always be used.
Mostly used for- Theatres and multi-use venues
Entertainment and leisure complexes
Cinema auditoria and preview cinemas
Conference centres
Educational establishments

General Detail

Drive mechanisms housed in black powder-coated container.
Sizes above 9ft x 12ft available on brackets only (no housing).
Electric operation with controls actor's left as standard
remote radio control / full system integration available
Maximum Size - 9 ftx12 ft
Fabric Weight - 0.83kg/m2
Sizes and Shapes
Sizes can be custom made upto 9ft x 12ft. Screens bigger than 9 ft x 12 ft are subject to special enquiry.
Materials are not available off roll.
Fabric width seamless upto 4.8metres.

Thanks,
John.

Last edited:
Anyone ? :)

I think this is the cheapest "branded" fixed screen I can get in India. Any one know of any other cheaper option for fixed screen of 150" size 16:9 ?

Thanks,
John.

Never heard of "Galalite".

Another option for fixed screen is buying material building it. That would be better because you can choose the material and still come out cheaper.

Thanks Manoj,

Is building a fixed screen complicated? Does it require special carpentry skills? I mean how do we ensure the screen is stretched uniformly? Given the fact that I need a 150" screen, will building a frame for the screen a challenge? Also can the wooden frames hold the tension of the screen material when its stretched to form a uniform flat screen?

The screen manufactures, Galalite, said they are using aluminium for building the screen frame with some springs to prove the right stretch to the screen materia.

Thanks,
John.

Attached are some plans for a 150 inch screen.

The wood used for the frame is 1 inch by 4 inches. Make sure it is seasoned wood and not fresh cut wood

A support wooden frame is needed in the middle- shown in blue

Attachments

• 150inchScrnP1.jpg
    150inchScrnP1.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 71
  • 150inchScrnP2.jpg
    150inchScrnP2.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 69
imho
buy screen material from da lite and make a fixed screen yourself by local proffessional help...
gallalite...sorry i also never heard..

Cool. That's a great news to me. Lemme check with Liberty. Do you have any local contact of Liberty screen maker in Bangalore?

Thanks,
John.

Attached are some plans for a 150 inch screen.

The wood used for the frame is 1 inch by 4 inches. Make sure it is seasoned wood and not fresh cut wood

A support wooden frame is needed in the middle- shown in blue

This is perfect. Although, for 150" screen I would put two support in between, that will make the frame very rigid. Use dry, seasoned wood material. Put screen material on some clean cloth. Put frame on top. Then pull screen material tight and staple on the back of the frame. Start stapling in the middle on each side, working towards end. If you get somebody professional, look for the people who make canvas hoardings. They know how to tightly apply the material to a frame.

You can also use grommets. Get a grommet kit, and put grommets on screen. Then make some anchors on the back of the frame. Use tight rope tie the material to anchors, looping through grommets. This will also allow you to tighten up material later if it loosens up.

After this, make masking edges, wrapped with triple velvet black. Mount those masking on the front of frame, by screwing it in the frame. Sink in the screws and they get covered by the velvet. Some people have used magnets, you can try that as well.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back