Anyone using 2.35:1 screen setup with the Anamorphic lens?

Hi guys,

What I read from the reviews and manual of Panasonic PT-AE4000 is that if we intent to use a 2.35:1 aspect ratio screen then initially setup required two lens position to be stored in the projector memory. 1) for 2.35:1 aspect ratio i.e by playing a 2.35:1 sample and then adjusting the lens and store into memory 2) for 16:9 aspect ratio again by playing a 16:9 sample and readjusting the lens position and storing to memory. Once this is done there is setting in projector to assign the two values for 2.35:1 and 16:9 aspect ratios with auto detect feature turned on.

Now how does this anamorphic emulation works......

The projector by default is 16:9 ratio, so while playing a 2.35:1 aspect ratio movie there will be still black bars on top and bottom. The anamorphic emulation feature of the projector zooms in the 2.35:1 portion to fill the 2.35:1 screen (for which we have initially adjusted the lens position and memorised). Likewise while playing a 16:9 aspect ratio sample we adjust to fit inside the 2.35:1 screen. So the lens zooms out to adjust the 16:9 portion in the 2.35:1 screen. So, there will be black bars on the left and right of the movie.
Whenever, anyone these two aspect ratio movies are played the projector automatically adjusts the lens position based on our stored value. Cool!

The pros:
1) Saving equivalent cost of the projector for anamorphic lens.
2) Enjoying the 2.35:1 aspect ratio
3) Need adjust the lens manually since the same can be memorised and adjusted automatically by detecting the source.
4) Anamorphic lens can be fitted for real effect.

The cons:
1) It still uses only 75% of the projector light output in 2.35:1 mode as the top and bottom bars are appearing above and below the 2.35:1 screen which is unnoticed while viewing.
2) Cannot match the real anamorphic lens quality

Can I go ahead with this system considering my budget can now buy me only the projector? And since anamorphic lens add-on is possible, I can purchase the same later on. Till such time I have be convinced with the anamorphic emulation feature.

What you guys say....

chk the link , lots of discussion going on here

http://www.hifivision.com/home-theatre-projectors-screens/6997-upgraditis-planning-upgrade-1080p-optoma-hd65-new-post.html

Yes, the difference is the PQ quality. Its same as the difference between the Optical Zoom and Digital Zoom in digital cameras. (plz dont ask me the difference b/n them:))

Hi guys,

What I read from the reviews and manual of Panasonic PT-AE4000 is that if we intent to use a 2.35:1 aspect ratio screen then initially setup required two lens position to be stored in the projector memory. 1) for 2.35:1 aspect ratio i.e by playing a 2.35:1 sample and then adjusting the lens and store into memory 2) for 16:9 aspect ratio again by playing a 16:9 sample and readjusting the lens position and storing to memory. Once this is done there is setting in projector to assign the two values for 2.35:1 and 16:9 aspect ratios with auto detect feature turned on.

Now how does this anamorphic emulation works......

The projector by default is 16:9 ratio, so while playing a 2.35:1 aspect ratio movie there will be still black bars on top and bottom. The anamorphic emulation feature of the projector zooms in the 2.35:1 portion to fill the 2.35:1 screen (for which we have initially adjusted the lens position and memorised). Likewise while playing a 16:9 aspect ratio sample we adjust to fit inside the 2.35:1 screen. So the lens zooms out to adjust the 16:9 portion in the 2.35:1 screen. So, there will be black bars on the left and right of the movie.
Whenever, anyone these two aspect ratio movies are played the projector automatically adjusts the lens position based on our stored value. Cool!

The pros:
1) Saving equivalent cost of the projector for anamorphic lens.
2) Enjoying the 2.35:1 aspect ratio
3) Need adjust the lens manually since the same can be memorised and adjusted automatically by detecting the source.
4) Anamorphic lens can be fitted for real effect.

The cons:
1) It still uses only 75% of the projector light output in 2.35:1 mode as the top and bottom bars are appearing above and below the 2.35:1 screen which is unnoticed while viewing.
2) Cannot match the real anamorphic lens quality

Can I go ahead with this system considering my budget can now buy me only the projector? And since anamorphic lens add-on is possible, I can purchase the same later on. Till such time I have be convinced with the anamorphic emulation feature.

What you guys say....

Hi all,

I asked a few dealers in Cochin, Kerala and found the least rate I get for Panasonic PT-AE4000 is Rs.1,38,000 + 12.5% Tax = Rs.1,55,250/-. Can anyone give some of the dealers nos in Kerala/Chennai etc. who can give at a reasonal rate?

Also, Iam looking for a screen size of 110" (2.35:1 ratio) please guide me what brand of screen to choose, a suitable spec mentioning the screen type like HC etc and gain. If possible the dealer nos also...

Last edited:
Hi all,

I asked a few dealers in Cochin, Kerala and found the least rate I get for Panasonic PT-AE4000 is Rs.1,38,000 + 12.5% Tax = Rs.1,55,250/-. Can anyone give some of the dealers nos in Kerala/Chennai etc. who can give at a reasonal rate?

Also, Iam looking for a screen size of 110" (2.35:1 ratio) please guide me what brand of screen to choose, a suitable spec mentioning the screen type like HC etc and gain. If possible the dealer nos also...

why do u want it with bill?
pana 4000 is a new model, so no risk with the lamp life..

get it from a traveling friend for 94k or
get it from borderlinx or KMD/TE for 115-120k
get it from grey mkt for 120k
get it from ur dealer without bill for 135k

why do u want it with bill?
pana 4000 is a new model, so no risk with the lamp life..

get it from a traveling friend for 94k or
get it from borderlinx or KMD/TE for 115-120k
get it from grey mkt for 120k
get it from ur dealer without bill for 135k

Going for without bill is not so convincing me when investing around a lakh of rupees. I will try your 1st option and what you mean by KMD/TE. Kindly explain.

Going for without bill is not so convincing me when investing around a lakh of rupees. I will try your 1st option and what you mean by KMD/TE. Kindly explain.

KMD (katemandude) is a member of Tech Enclave who receives PMs and sends you the final quote..
generally the price works out be lesser w.r.t MRP + Customs

Hi all,

pana PT-AE 4000 ,available for 1.3k @ chennai (inclusive of all )

will PM u contact, @ this price i guess its without bill ,it is shipped from singapore and available at chennai, there were 2 no:s of the PJ available 2 days back , u cud chk out

regards

pana PT-AE 4000 ,available for 1.3k @ chennai (inclusive of all )

will PM u contact, @ this price i guess its without bill ,it is shipped from singapore and available at chennai, there were 2 no:s of the PJ available 2 days back , u cud chk out

regards

so subhash.. finally nearing a decision?
is it going to be pana 4000?

@ subhash

I will contact the person tomorrow and will update you.

Guys,

Kindly guide me in choosing the brand for 2.35:1 aspect ratio with diagnol of 100" to 115:

@ subhash

I will contact the person tomorrow and will update you.

Guys,

Kindly guide me in choosing the brand for 2.35:1 aspect ratio with diagnol of 100" to 115:

doubt if there are any 2.35:1 comercially available screens as yet ,if there are they cud be quiet expensive unless u DIY or, get it made as per requirement

for other reasonably priced screens ,u cud look @ ---Panoview from optoma
----grandview
these are in the range under 12-15k

doubt if there are any 2.35:1 comercially available screens as yet ,if there are they cud be quiet expensive unless u DIY or, get it made as per requirement

for other reasonably priced screens ,u cud look @ ---Panoview from optoma
----grandview
these are in the range under 12-15k

Thanks, does Panaview have a 2.35:1 screen?

BTW I have contacted the person and he told that it is 1.3L without bill. With his experience he says that after sales service is not a problem and this projector is doing good in performance. I have told him that my new house is just getting the final touches and would contact in advcance as the day approaches for the final screening.

I also had enquired Da lite & Elite (Cinema235) screens and these brands are coming in the range of 25k approx for 100".

Thanks, does Panaview have a 2.35:1 screen?

BTW I have contacted the person and he told that it is 1.3L without bill. With his experience he says that after sales service is not a problem and this projector is doing good in performance. I have told him that my new house is just getting the final touches and would contact in advcance as the day approaches for the final screening.

I also had enquired Da lite & Elite (Cinema235) screens and these brands are coming in the range of 25k approx for 100".

contact srini from the forum ,he cud give u the best information regarding screens

Hi subhash / Eumagic

Thanks for refering my name... My view is both elite cinema series or Dalite are good option and it is the only brand availble here with 2:35:1... No other good choice left out in that area. Rate is also fine for the 100", since typicaly chinese screens also cost typicaly near about same price after calculating the shipping & customs cost.

Just to intercept the topic on Pana cost, it is available for 1.19K in grey market in chennai.. But I believe it can be negotiable till 1.15K.

Regards

Hi subhash / Eumagic

Thanks for refering my name... My view is both elite cinema series or Dalite are good option and it is the only brand availble here with 2:35:1... No other good choice left out in that area. Rate is also fine for the 100", since typicaly chinese screens also cost typicaly near about same price after calculating the shipping & customs cost.

Just to intercept the topic on Pana cost, it is available for 1.19K in grey market in chennai.. But I believe it can be negotiable till 1.15K.

Regards

cud you send me the contact details for the pana , i got a quote for 1.3

Hi subhash / Eumagic

Regards

Hi Srini,

Do you know any dealers who deal with screens in Chennai/Kerala for Elite Cinema235 or Da Lite, if possible can you give the contact nos?

Also, does Panoview have a 2.35:1 aspect ratio screen, bcoz when I checked the optomo website I didn't find any and was only 4:3 & 16:9.

Last edited:
Sorry typical misinterpretation!!!. I thought you have already located the dealers and quoting the price of dalite and elite series... No body will have stock of this screen i guess!!. You have to order and get it.. Earlier while i am searching for screen i come across some vendors in Delhi & Banglore and spoken to them and i have got it over search in yahoo. Same information, i am passing to you.

For sure Panaview will not be having 2:35:1.

Another option is to ship from USA by Borderlinx with price range of $400 to $500 for product cost) + shipping cost ? + (customs charges will be around Rs.6000)

If you are buying from USA there are lot of options are there and i believe you can venture it instead of going behind Indian distributors whom will charge hefty price . However get the price list from them and compare with USA price with Borderlinx calculator for landing price and deceide.

Goodluck..

Regards

Last edited:
hi srini i did contact the person for pana , i think thats the cheapest quote i got till now @ 1.18, and he is open to further negotiate if i was sure on purchase

hi srini i did contact the person for pana , i think thats the cheapest quote i got till now @ 1.18, and he is open to further negotiate if i was sure on purchase

Ok, If eummagic is also joining in purchase or pana4000, the price can be still negotiated..:cool:

Goodluck..

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back