APC UPS - please help

sidvee

Esteemed Members - I have a APC ES 500 UPs. Today while watching a movie (I have my projector - panasonic PTAE900 connected to this) the power went out and the UPS started emitting a continous beep - which indicated overload - and I had to disconnect the battery connection to make it stop. After that when I connected the unit back the UPS outlets were dead.
My questions:
1. What are my options - get the battery replaced or throw the unit out?
2. If I can get the battery replaced are the service centers any good?
3. What is a good UPS to use with my projector - i think it has to be rated approx. 400 watts?
Thanks in advance,
Sid

How old is the battery ? if over 3 years you will need to throw it away.. If < 1 year you will get warranty replacement.

Else need to buy another one :( ... been there done it

How old is the battery ? if over 3 years you will need to throw it away.. If < 1 year you will get warranty replacement.

Else need to buy another one :( ... been there done it

Thanks Arj. What a bummer - the ups is approx. 3 years old. Well I guess time for a new one then. Any suggestions?
Cheers
Sid

Thanks Arj. What a bummer - the ups is approx. 3 years old. Well I guess time for a new one then. Any suggestions?
Cheers
Sid

Arj is right, If the battery is 3 years or older you have to replace it

I have many a times replaced APC UPS (for PC use) battery. Last i replaced it with an Exide Battery and its working quiet good. As far as I remeber it was cheaper then APC battery and is working fine since last 1 year or more

is this the one you have ?
C31301ED-5056-9170-D338E030BE02704A_f_h.jpg

If so just call APC. this uses dry battery modules and APC will replace them for you..no need to buy a new UPS. the batterys should cost around 30% of the total price to replace

hi arj i also hv the same ups and i faced the same beep problem
So does it mean that there is problem with btry not the ups
Actualy i tried exide btry and had the same prob so gave the ups for repair, plz guide

A sealed maintanence free (SMF) battery from exide costs 800/- or so.

But better call the UPS 24-hrs helpline 1800-4254-877 for home visit and get it checked..

thnks

I forgot to add in my earlier post that Exide will come and check if battery is the culprit

At least that was the condition I had put when I called them because I was also not sure if the battery was the culprit

is this the one you have ?
C31301ED-5056-9170-D338E030BE02704A_f_h.jpg

If so just call APC. this uses dry battery modules and APC will replace them for you..no need to buy a new UPS. the batterys should cost around 30% of the total price to replace

Yes that is the exact unit I have. I will call them today - that is a great help thanks Arj.
Cheers
Sid

BTW - I left my APC disconnected all night and this morning when I plugged it in it started working. I double checked the back up outlets by turning off power and they seemed to be working normally as well.
Anyways I will probably have the unit checked out by APC.
I think there was a surge when power went out and the unit went into overload as it has a surge protector as well.
Cheers
Sid

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back