Apple music to launch lossless streaming

Further in the subject of Apple Music not able to transfer lossless via AirPlay - it’s so ironic.

I say that because I can easily use AirPlay to transfer Primephonic files from the phone to the streamer and it transfer them in ALAC (lossless) format. Here’s the proof:

817D99B0-9DE3-4CFA-BA29-79A5656A776F.jpeg
So, it’s not really an AirPlay limitation! AirPlay is quite capable of transferring ALAC.

We also saw that when you select AirPlay from the menu bar (and not the Music app) in MacBook, it transfers in ALAC format.

So, clearly there’s no problem with the files streamed from the server which are lossless (or hi-Res). There’s also a capable transfer technology (AirPlay) which other apps (like Primephonic, Tidal etc) use to transfer lossless (not hi-Res though) from iOS devices to the streamer.

So, the problem is just with the way the Apple Music app chooses to use AirPlay. It somehow forces it to transfer AAC instead of ALAC. Now that could just be a result of the legacy design of the app. And if that’s so, all that Apple needs to do is to make the necessary changes to the Apple Music app to make it transfer the files in ALAC format over AirPlay to streamers and receivers. One hopes Apple is reading the flurry of discussions on various audiophile forums including this one on this matter and would soon work on this tweak.

Apple Lossless and Spatial Audio is Working flawlessly on MacBook, IPhone 12 pro and Apple TV 4k.
Not much inferior to Tidal in 2 Albums I listened to, but Tidal was streamed via Roon, So that may be a point of difference.
As expected Spatial Audio isn't that exciting, but let's see how it unfolds. The full screen lyrics is a good touch.

View attachment 59864View attachment 59865
If I don't have any other apple device, can I still install and use the Apple TV 4K ?

So I listened some more and a few albums with the tag Apple digital master came up and something in the sound was off to my ears. One seemed like the treble was cut off a lot and the other sounded a bit boosted too over processed something a bit off can’t yet figure it out. The plain lossless ones I enjoy.

I don't know! Is there another way to connect iPhone to AVR?
You can connect a phone to an external dac like the dragonfly which decodes hires and connect that 3.5 mm out to rca inputs thus getting hi res. Wired vs airplay connection.

There's also one problem for Android users. Whether Apple is giving 48/96/192, it all gets downsampled to 48.

I only see Green (44.1) and Blue (48) lights on my DragonFly! High time for Apple to release bit streaming app like Tidal.
Apple would rather have you on ios devices to reap the benefits. They have an adequate number of ios users for Apple Music to have a substantial user base and the app on android is for users to whet their appetite. As apple would see it, if you’re not discerning enough to be an Apple user, you’d not be bothered with lossless. Viewed conversely from Apple’s perspective, if you value lossless, you’d go that extra mile to get an apple device since android is a “lesser” operating system in this regard.

Viewed conversely from Apple’s perspective, if you value lossless, you’d go that extra mile to get an apple device since android is a “lesser” operating system in this regard.
Haha what??? How ??? Have you heard of UAPP? LG?

You can watch this video and get familiar with the Dongle Hell of apple

I am sure apple would have formed this perspective over the years, maybe it is just dumb. If anything the joomla of infinite cables to get hires on ios makes it a lesser os.

Also, apple doesnt care 1 bit about audiophiles or lossless, it is simply to use as a marketing ploy for their audio devices. Even the world doesnt care about audiophiles. If audiophiles move from 1 os to another, it will hardly be 1 million users by any stretch of imagination which is just insignificant.

apple doesnt care about 5 billion users on android in terms of selling them their services? That just sounds like a very bad business decision, whoever made it

Last edited:
Haha what??? How ??? Have you heard of UAPP? LG?
So you need an external plug and the os does not natively support it. Therefore, iOS device are much more convenient to me for this reason. And this is of course subjective so i won't have anyone else tell me otherwise.
I am sure apple would have formed this perspective over the years, maybe it is just dumb. If anything the joomla of infinite cables to get hires on ios makes it a lesser os.
I'm sorry but does USB C/3.0 do thunderbolt speeds yet?

I know it for a fact that it did not at least till a couple of years back.

Wait, i believe that's still the case now.

So let me get this straight, its apple's fault that the world didn't move on to a superior connector?

Remember those flimsy (and slow) microusb connectors?

Also, I'm not bothered by it since i have an Ipad Pro which uses USB C so i shouldn't be ideally one to speak about it but was necessary to provide some context.
Also, apple doesnt care 1 bit about audiophiles or lossless, it is simply to use as a marketing ploy for their audio devices.
Why should they? I have represented over a 100 companies (that's a very conservative estimate) and none of them, i repeat, none of them care about their customers over making a profit.

Your precious Android manufacturers included. :)

Hi
Does anyone tried Apple Music on Windows PC - apple music website or itunes?
In both places i cannot find music quality settings or resolution at which songs are playing
Does anyone know - Is it released on website or itunes for windows?

Also, apple doesnt care 1 bit about audiophiles or lossless, it is simply to use as a marketing ploy for their audio devices. Even the world doesnt care about audiophiles. If audiophiles move from 1 os to another, it will hardly be 1 million users by any stretch of imagination

apple doesnt care about 5 billion users on android in terms of selling them their services? That just sounds like a very bad business decision, whoever made it
"Sounds" like a bad business decision and yet Apple is one of the most profitable companies with the highest valuation. I'd say from the "looks" of it, it's definitely paid off.

And yes, I'm having a slow day and i have nothing better to do than put some effort into meeting your points so en gaurd (don't care two hoots about apple or Apple devices but since this issue is all about wasting time)

Last edited:
Installed Apple Music on my Sony x900e TV. The latest beta version, ie, 3.6.0(1117)

It gives all the options as on the mobile for lossless and Atmos.

Plays lossless to my AVR through HDMI from ARC and Marantz recognizes it as 48 Khz.

Definitely a better way to stream lossless from Apple to AVR than through the mobile route.

Sounds pretty good to my ears too.

No Dolby Atmos. This I think is an ARC vs eARC issue as Apple TV with eARC gets Atmos.

20210721_133933.jpg

A screenshot was shared.

View attachment 59876
@Yogesh, unfortunately, that’s not an indication that the system was playing lossless. It just means that he was getting the lossless stream on his mobile. I see that indication for all lossless files on my mobile/iPad when I click on the Lossless logo. The place to check is the DAC/AVR’s display, if it indicates the format and/or resolution it receives via AirPlay. It will still show AAC (and not ALAC) if being Airplayed from mobile device. For ALAC (lossless) you need to play via computer and select system-wide AirPlay and not just from the Music app. Please read my detailed post on this above with the relevant pics showing the same.

If I don't have any other apple device, can I still install and use the Apple TV 4K ?
Yes, you can. You just need an Apple ID to get you started. Apple TV 4K can also receive lossless (but just like mobiles, it will still AirPlay compressed (AAC) to your DAC currently. The only way to get AirPlay to transfer lossless right now is via MacBook (and I imagine even PCs).

Plays lossless to my AVR through HDMI from ARC and Marantz recognizes it as 48 Khz.
Not a sufficient indication. Does it say ALAC or AAC?

@Yogesh, unfortunately, that’s not an indication that the system was playing lossless. It just means that he was getting the lossless stream on his mobile. I see that indication for all lossless files on my mobile/iPad when I click on the Lossless logo. The place to check is the DAC/AVR’s display, if it indicates the format and/or resolution it receives via AirPlay. It will still show AAC (and not ALAC) if being Airplayed from mobile device. For ALAC (lossless) you need to play via computer and select system-wide AirPlay and not just from the Music app. Please read my detailed post on this above with the relevant pics showing the same.

Yes, you can. You just need an Apple ID to get you started. Apple TV 4K can also receive lossless (but just like mobiles, it will still AirPlay compressed (AAC) to your DAC currently. The only way to get AirPlay to transfer lossless right now is via MacBook (and I imagine even PCs).

Not a sufficient indication. Does it say ALAC or AAC?
It says PCM. Maybe because it is coming from the TV and not directly connected to the Marantz. HDMI should not have an issue sending music as is to the receiver. PCM is a lossless format, so it could be lossless.

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back