Apple music to launch lossless streaming

Installed Apple Music on my Sony x900e TV. The latest beta version, ie, 3.6.0(1117)

It gives all the options as on the mobile for lossless and Atmos.

Plays lossless to my AVR through HDMI from ARC and Marantz recognizes it as 48 Khz.

Definitely a better way to stream lossless from Apple to AVR than through the mobile route.

Sounds pretty good to my ears too.

No Dolby Atmos. This I think is an ARC vs eARC issue as Apple TV with eARC gets Atmos.

How did you install Apple Music on your TV ? I dont see an Apple Music app for Android TV on the Google Play Store.

Would appreciate guideance.

How did you install Apple Music on your TV ? I dont see an Apple Music app for Android TV on the Google Play Store.

Would appreciate guideance.
I did it as follows:

1. Download the latest file to the mobile
2. Install "Send files to TV" on both the mobile and TV.
3. Send the APK file to the TV.
4. Install APK Mirror installer
5. Install the APK through the APK mirror installer

You may also need to install Aptoide TV

PS: If you can download the file directly to the TV using the Downloader, that would also work. I had some issues with the keyboard, so I took the above route.

20210721_142056.jpg20210721_142029.jpg

Last edited:
It says PCM. Maybe because it is coming from the TV and not directly connected to the Marantz. HDMI should not have an issue sending music as is to the receiver. PCM is a lossless format, so it could be lossless.
Same with me, in my case, it's the built-in Apple Music App on my Samsung tv. I only get two-channel PCM on my AVR. When I looked in their kb, it appears that as of now only Apple tv 4k can pass the ATMOS metadata down the chain. Though I haven't tested, I am assuming they might be using loosy DD+ for ATMOS like Tidal. Doing ATMOS over lossless TrueHD for the 5/6 channel is a hell of a lot of data.

is it just my ears or does tidal lossless feel much better than apple music lossless?
Were you streaming via mobile using AirPlay? In that case you weren’t listening to lossless. Unless you were AirPlaying in a specific way from MacBook or had connected to DAC via USB. Go through multiple posts yesterday on this thread for detailed explanation.

@ssf, PCM is a generic term for analog signal converted to digital format. It could imply anything from mp3 to FLAC, AAC to ALAC or wav to MQA.
Yes, so it could be lossless too. And given the app allowing for lossless audio, the probability of it being lossless is quite higher than it being lossy.

Yes, so it could be lossless too.
Yes, just as it could be lossy too. I was just clarifying the ‘PCM is a lossless format‘ statement in your previous post.

Quite possible that you are hearing lossless as you are connected via (HDMI) cable and not dependent on AirPlay. But not because it says ‘PCM‘.

Yes, just as it could be lossy too. I was just clarifying the ‘PCM is a lossless format‘ statement in your previous post.

Quite possible that you are hearing lossless as you are connected via (HDMI) cable and not dependent on AirPlay. But not because it says ‘PCM‘.
Agree. If I understand it correctly, PCM is a lossless container which could contain lossy and lossless formats.

In precise words, PCM is neither lossy nor lossless since it's not a compression algorithm but a transmission mechanism (raw bitstream).
So if it is passing raw bitstream, then it is not changing the data and hence could be loosely termed lossless ?

What do you think ? Could the Apple TV app be passing lossless to the AVR ?

Quality of sound, well I don't know. I still think Tidal has an edge. But at a cost !!! Am on the US subscription.

So if it is passing raw bitstream, then it is not changing the data and hence could be loosely termed lossless?

What do you think? Could the Apple TV app be passing lossless to the AVR?

Quality of sound, well I don't know. I still think Tidal has an edge. But at a cost !!! Am on the US subscription.
PCM just transmits the data from your TV to AVR. It neither adds nor removes any intelligence to the data stream. Here it's the Apple TV App that decides the Quality I.e. what compression algorithm it selects, lossy or lossless. Accordingly, the App performs de-compression and sends the bits to AVR via PCM.

Tidal has the edge IMHO, I am on a UK plan, US/UK inventory is way rich than other geographic locations.

Hi ,is there a way to stream apple music from Android phone to cxn v2 using usb cable or anyothere mode .I'm getting lossless using beta app but unable to stream.

So if it is passing raw bitstream, then it is not changing the data and hence could be loosely termed lossless ?

What do you think ? Could the Apple TV app be passing lossless to the AVR ?

Change to Turkey. 170 bucks or so.

Very tempting. How's the collection ? I listen mostly to Jazz, blues, rock and 70's 80's nostalgia.
Don't know about jazz and blues but their rock and 70s 80s catalogue is pretty decent and i haven't had any issues finding tracks. However, their EDM catalogue isn't great.

It says PCM. Maybe because it is coming from the TV and not directly connected to the Marantz. HDMI should not have an issue sending music as is to the receiver.
As I have Tidal installed on my TV too, I though I will check the playback on that too. Tidal too says, PCM 48 Khz. I was playing Eagles Masters. So, very likely that Apple Music is playing lossless from TV to AVR.

Last edited:
Any idea if/when will lossless be available in the web player on a broswer? It is so frustrating to lose lossless access whenever I switch from one platform to another. It is so finicky and selective, doesn't work on half the places I try and I have to keep wondering and adjusting according to its selective needs.

Hi ,is there a way to stream apple music from Android phone to cxn v2 using usb cable or anyothere mode .I'm getting lossless using beta app but unable to stream.
Shld be possible till 24bits/48khz using usb cable. Hi res above it not possible with Android.
i was planning to try same with my cxn v2 but missing correct usb cable right now.
Do inform if it works for u
No Airplay / chromecast options visible for CXN V2 either, in apple music app for android.

I was seeking info if windows laptop can do the trick - itunes or apple music website as source. But could not find lossless settings in both.

Back