Arcam FMJ A19 - Power Led blinking Issue - Amp. does not switch on

sanjbmw2001

Hello All,

The amp was fine till I switched it off last night. This evening when I tried to switch it on, the power led blinks red.
Things I have tried:

1) Disconnect everything and power on - No dice
2) Power cycle - wait 20 mins - No dice

So seeking advice from experts here on two things:

1) Does it seem like a major issue or can it be fixed at home
2) Reputed service/repair centre in Bangalore, incase point 1 is negative.

Cheers,
Sun'J

Hi

It seems the amp is going into protection mode....

Check on how to reset this model online...it should help

May be the speaker cables are shorting at the amplifier or the speaker end. Try disconnecting the speakers and check if it turns on. If yes, consider replacing the cables or may be the speaker is shorted.

Thanks both for your inputs..

I have tried almost everything - power cycle, remove all cables, keep it disconnected for a long period of time with the power cable not connected, kept it on with only power cable connected for a long time. no go.

The only option I haven't tried is clean the innards with a blower.

However I think the amp. required TLC from a professional.

I am open to any other suggestions though.

If someone could provide a reliable or authorized service person for Arcam in Bangalore it would be great. (I have written to Audio one for the same)

Regards,
Sun'J

I had an Arcam A19 and have faced this issue a couple of times. Please try the following, switch on the Amp and wait for about half a minute then rotate the volume knob, the Amp should come out of standby. Hope it works for you too.

Last edited:
I had an Arcam A19 and have faced this issue a couple of times. Please try the following, switch on the Amp and wait for about half a minute then rotate the volume knob, the Amp should come out of standby. Hope it works for you too.

Hey Thanks.

But the amp is not in standby (usually represented by an amber light) in my case it is blinking red.

Anyone know of a good repair shop in Bangalore?

Sun'J

Did you suffer a power surge? I had an Arcam P80 behave similarly after a surge and unfortunately was beyond repair :sad:

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/9237/Arcam-Multichannel-Power-Amplifier.html?page=11

The arcam troubleshooting manual says a flashing red light is a short circuit. Since the amp is powering on it means the mains fuse and transformer and power supply section is ok. As the light is not amber it means the system is not in standby by overheating. The diagnosis would be a short at the amplifier board level or transistor level or at the speaker binding post, speaker wire or speaker voice coil level.

Check the speakers resistance 4 ohm 6 ohm or 8 ohm.
Check the speaker wire continuity. Check for shorts in speaker wire.
Check speaker wire banana plugs or strands from bare wire touching the speaker cabinet at the binding posts. These are easy fixes.

Then open the cabinet if not under warranty and look for smoked components.

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/9237/Arcam-Multichannel-Power-Amplifier.html?page=11

The arcam troubleshooting manual says a flashing red light is a short circuit. Since the amp is powering on it means the mains fuse and transformer and power supply section is ok. As the light is not amber it means the system is not in standby by overheating. The diagnosis would be a short at the amplifier board level or transistor level or at the speaker binding post, speaker wire or speaker voice coil level.

Check speaker wire banana plugs or strands from bare wire touching the speaker cabinet at the binding posts. These are easy fixes.

Hey thanks Audiodoc.

checked everything, the same speakers and speaker wire are working fine with the NAD D3020.
So seems to be some other issue.
No power surge also as the other electronic equipment connected to the voltage stabilizer are all fine.

However dies anyone know of a good repair place in Bangalore.

Cheers,
Sun'J

Hey thanks Audiodoc.

checked everything, the same speakers and speaker wire are working fine with the NAD D3020.
So seems to be some other issue.
No power surge also as the other electronic equipment connected to the voltage stabilizer are all fine.

However dies anyone know of a good repair place in Bangalore.

Cheers,
Sun'J

If you are even a little bit comfortable with electronics, open up the case and look for tell tale signs of a short, especially near the power amplifier board...
An otherwise perfectly working amp suddenly going into protection mode is often caused by leaked/blown capacitors near the output stage that have spilled electrolyte on the board
You would be easily able to spot that (if that is what the problem is)

If you are even a little bit comfortable with electronics, open up the case and look for tell tale signs of a short, especially near the power amplifier board...
An otherwise perfectly working amp suddenly going into protection mode is often caused by leaked/blown capacitors near the output stage that have spilled electrolyte on the board
You would be easily able to spot that (if that is what the problem is)

Guess what - it is a blown capacitor (10 micro farad at 50v) I think it is from the power amp. circuit. I can see some white (electrolyte?) stuff oozing out.

Now the big question - How bad is the damage? and Can it be easily repaired?

Cheers
Sun'J

Guess what - it is a blown capacitor (10 micro farad at 50v) I think it is from the power amp. circuit. I can see some white (electrolyte?) stuff oozing out.

Cheers
Sun'J
Very easily repairable - If you are comfortable with soldering, get a replacement, desolder the cap, clean the board (with IsoPropyl alcohol) to remove all traces of the leaked electrolyte, solder in the replacement

If you aren't comfortable with the same, take it any half decent electronics repair shop - even the neighborhood repair shop can do it as long as you tell them what you want done - They may not have IPA so you may want to order a bottle and carry it along

Cheers
Sun'J

Consider replacing it with 10 mfd, 100 volts just in case if it was blown due to a voltage surge.

Consider replacing it with 10 mfd, 100 volts just in case if it was blown due to a voltage surge.

Thanks to all for their helpful comments.

I am not comfortable with diy.
Have found Hitech in Koramangala to help with repairs.

Secondly - I also am in discussions with Audio one - (official Arcam) however they want me to ship the amp. to Mumbai for repairs. I am not comfortable doing that.

Let's see what comes on this.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back