ASUS Xonar DX malfuntion!

Rockfella

Hi all,
I bought ASUS Xonar DX and have been using it since 4th may 2012. This is my first mid/high end dedicated sound purchase so I don't know in-n-out about sound cards Id say.

This card as many reviews say is rated the best one out there in its price range, hence my decision to buy this despite poor after sales of Rashi (Which handles ASUS RMA in India)
The card had a slight problem from day one. Sometimes I could hear audio from only one side (left) of all speakers/headphones I connected anywhere (front/rear panel) used to give sound. A Driver re-installation OR a reboot would fix that so I ignored it since RMA is PITA.
However last week it started acting up real bad. There is no audio whatsoever when I select 2 speakers in the DX software (when i connect my HT in the read jack. I hear sound only when I selected 5.1 and even then my HTs left speaker works as center and there is no sound in any speakers whatsoever. Ironically this happens only when I connect anything in the rear panel. Headphones in the front panel works fine. I guess it is a faulty card and now degraded further. In order to remove any confusions regarding software etc I reinstalled windows 7 with no luck.
Now Ive connected my home theatre using the same 3.5mm-RCA cable to the front panel of it and it works great!
Any suggestions on what can be done before i give it to Rashi?
Thanks.
Vivek.
Screenshots for refrence:

No sound when i connect HT to rear 3.5mm port and select this: (It used to and should work in this setting!)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I get sound when i choose this setting but it's all mized up. Like left speaker works as "center" and right speaker as "Sub". All mixed up! Same when i choose 7.1.

Works perfectly this way, i've connected HT to front panel using same 3.5mm to RCA cable and using this setting:

Any say?

Last edited:
Returning the card may be a pain, but it it may also be the only possible way to ensure that you have a working card that will work well for years and years.

I'm on a STX, but I had used DX quite some time ago. From your screenshots, I would be inclined to think this is a config issue than a H/W issue. Anyway, here goes:

If your HT needs Analogue inputs (Or if you prefer the DX's Analogue), make sure that your channels are connected properly. The DX has separate analogue outputs for surround sound. From top to bottom, these should be
1.> S/PDIF output, Line_Input, Mic Input
2.> Front Channel output
3.> Side channel output
4.> Centre and Subwoofer channel output
5.> Rear channel Output

Ensure that your HT's analogue inputs are hooked to the correct DX outputs. The driver has a "Test" button to allow you to check where the speakers are connected (Circled in the attached pic).

If your HT accepts digital inputs, or if you have an AVR, you might want to try using "SPDIF Out", bypassing the DX's Analogue. However in this case, you'd only be using the DX as a digital transport, and not using its DAC at all.

Finally, as a last resort, you might want to try the UniXonar drivers
https://brainbit.wordpress.com/category/uni-xonar/

Attachments

• DX Test.jpg
    DX Test.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 129
Last edited:
Last edited:
I guess it is the only possible way to have a non-faulty card that'll work for years to come :)
Returning the card may be a pain, but it it may also be the only possible way to ensure that you have a working card that will work well for years and years.

The 3.5mm-RCA Cable's 35mm jack goes into port no. 2 and i've plugged it in there and it is plugged in correctly. Will try unified drivers. I did that "test" you've mentioned. In 5.1 mode test dx is somehow assuming the front left speaker as center speaker .
I'm on a STX, but I had used DX quite some time ago. From your screenshots, I would be inclined to think this is a config issue than a H/W issue. Anyway, here goes:

If your HT needs Analogue inputs (Or if you prefer the DX's Analogue), make sure that your channels are connected properly. The DX has separate analogue outputs for surround sound. From top to bottom, these should be
1.> S/PDIF output, Line_Input, Mic Input
2.> Front Channel output
3.> Side channel output
4.> Centre and Subwoofer channel output
5.> Rear channel Output

Ensure that your HT's analogue inputs are hooked to the correct DX outputs. The driver has a "Test" button to allow you to check where the speakers are connected (Circled in the attached pic).

If your HT accepts digital inputs, or if you have an AVR, you might want to try using "SPDIF Out", bypassing the DX's Analogue. However in this case, you'd only be using the DX as a digital transport, and not using its DAC at all.

Finally, as a last resort, you might want to try the UniXonar drivers
https://brainbit.wordpress.com/category/uni-xonar/

Drivers were working fine when i bought it. This happened suddenly some days ago, it should've worked fine now also.
If you are using the supplied drivers,then can be an issue.Try latest drivers.
There wer problem reported in asus forum regarding miss matched speaker output.
ASUSTeK Computer Inc.-Forum- [NOTE] Xonar DX channel Mismatch
solution-
ASUSTeK Computer Inc.-Forum- [Fix] Channel Mismatch Issue Solved
also FW upgrade-
ASUSTeK Computer Inc. -Support- Drivers and Download Xonar D2X
Even make sure that you plug the pin properly/deep so that one channel is not missed.

Last edited:
I'm positive it was connected fine to the rear panel. I was unable to download UniXonar driver from the site :p
If you're sure that the speakers are connected correctly on the rear panel, then you should consider warranty repair.

BTW, did you find any difference with the UniXonar drivers ?

Is the card under warranty?

Its better to get RMA if its broken or driver updates are not fixing the issue.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back