Asus Xonar UI - any feedbacks?

anm

Hi,
Since I already have an old laptop lying around, I would like to put it to use as a music source for my living room setup. I came across this Asus usb sound card - listed for 4k on theitdepot.com

Application - music only.

Is it a good card to be used with an old laptop as transport?

Any comparisons with the most recommended cards here (non usb ones also)?

Other external cards are
M-Audio Transit USB (listed at 8.5 on npithub.com)
M-Audio Mobile Pre USB (11.5)
M-Audio Audiphile USB (13k)

I have not found any other USB sound card which is in 5k INR budget. If there is one with external power supply and better performance, please recommend.

Re: Asus Xonar U1 - any feedbacks?

Dunno how it bcame UI - subject should read U1. USB sound card.

i do not recommend USB sound cards (because of the interface) but check out the reviews here

ASUS Xonar U1 Dolby USB Sound Card - Review, Specs, Prices
Reviews | Asus Xonar U1 (Page 2 of 5) | APH Networks

There are some issues but it works well. My colleague has it - tots in along happily everyday (being a PM helps) to office - uses his goldring headphones and goes on swinging. My first take was crystal cleat sound but thinness though detail is good.

BTW why have multiple computers - try the linksys (EVA9150 - Digital Entertainer Elite) or linksys (Linksys.com - Products/Wireless/Entertainment/Music, Picture, and Video Links/WMB54G) and use a single computer for all.

Re: Asus Xonar U1 - any feedbacks?

BTW why have multiple computers - try the linksys (EVA9150 - Digital Entertainer Elite) or linksys (Linksys.com - Products/Wireless/Entertainment/Music, Picture, and Video Links/WMB54G) and use a single computer for all.

Hello,
Not sure about the sound cards. but I have been using Netgear Eva 8000 for past one year. It is ok with video I must say very good but it has issues regarding playing music. For some reason it doesn't play wave files but it can play mp3 and some other formats. If we consider only sound the best is logitech squeezebox. I have used it extensively and I am pretty impressed with it. It has a pretty good DAC.
Thanks,
Mahiruha.

but isn't squeezebox costly? And you still need a comp to play your own stuff. I agree usb is not the best. That laptop has a firewire port too, but I have not used it so not sure if I should trust it. And firewire is not there on my current laptop either.

Hello,
why don't you go wireless. Just get a basic wireless G or wirelss N router from linksys or netgear and you can use all these devices wirelessly. Squeezebox has huge wirelss coverage in my case around 150 Ft with lots of walls in between.Another interesting product is apple TV priced slightly below logitech but flawlessly handles audio and video and it looks really cute.AppleTV also plays youtube very well on TV. That's a different on demand source of entertainment all together.not sure if it can handle wav files but do check. Here are the links.
Theitdepot - Speakers + Audio - Network Music Players
The Apple Store (India) - Apple TV
thanks,
Mahiruha.

i agree
get a used squeezebox.
its dac its very good, i would say it would be better than then external Xonar

or if you can get your hands on a used Pico usb DAC then that would even(according to some reports) be better than the asus Xonar too(its more musical than the cold soundcards-IMO)

ive hread a KECES dac and its superb but it has no usb so thats out for you.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back