Atmos & UDH4K status on Xbox/FireTV/Shield Pro/ATV 4K /Others - OTT content

They are giving super lossy 5.1 stream,that itself is an achievement for hotstar,instead of their ultra compressive 2.0 track..
sad that Disney had to tie with them.
their prime target is mobile users and not high end setups.

They are giving super lossy 5.1 stream,that itself is an achievement for hotstar,instead of their ultra compressive 2.0 track..
sad that Disney had to tie with them.
their prime target is mobile users and not high end setups.
This, getting a decent enough quality on hotstar has been long time coming :)

All of us have struggled with finding out if UHD 4K and Atmos works on various Media Players while consuming OTT content and more specifically Netflix and Prime.

I tried looking up any earlier threads consolidating the experience at one place and couldn't find one so I wanted to start this one.

I own the 3 Streaming devices
Xbox One S
Nvidia Shield Pro 2017
Fire TV 4K

I have done extensive testing in last couple of days by playing same scenes on Netflix and Prime across the devices one by one and notice the difference.

Here is the result only in context of OTT content

Shield pro
Netflix - 4k works, Atmos doesn't work
Prime - not sure 4K works or not because it doesn't show anywhere. Atmos works, tested in Gulabo sitabo in Pure Direct it showed Atmos in input side

Sound Quality - 7/10
Picture Quality - 7/10

Xbox One S
Netflix - 4k works, Atmos works but it shows Atmos in all content.
Prime - can't tell about 4k because it doesn't show , can't tell Atmos because it shows Atmos in all content

Sound Quality - 9/10
Picture Quality - 8.5/10

Fire TV Stick 4k
Netflix - 4k works, shows in Netflix app. Atmos doesn't work, doest show Atmos symbol on any content
Prime - UHD 4k works, checked in Gulabo Sitabo by pressing down key. It shows resolution. Dolby Atmos works, checked in Gulabo Sitabo. Shows in options - Audio

Sound Quality - 7/10
Picture Quality - 7/10 (Somehow Prime App shows best Picture Quality on Fire TV 4K but Picture Quality on Netflix wasn't impressive at all)

Please do share your experience if you use multiple devices and have done one on one comparison. Also if there is anyway to find if Prime App streams in 4K on Shield Pro or Xbox.
Yes, even I have the XBOX one and the Amazon Firestick. The best sound I have got is always from the XBOX One. I was not sure if there was a problem with the other devices but you proved my hunch right

Yes, even I have the XBOX one and the Amazon Firestick. The best sound I have got is always from the XBOX One. I was not sure if there was a problem with the other devices but you proved my hunch right
I wouldnt say Xbox One X is better than ATV4K just because its producing a louder sound. Its just that its using wrong container (uses DA always, I was watching Saath Saath, starring Diptin Naval and Farooq Shaikh in Atmos the other day) to push the audio it seems and louder sound could be the result. It does a very good job of streaming 4k since One X has the native 4k chip and capabilities. However, a good comparison can shed some more light on the topic,

Hello members,

I have one query. Is Disney+hotstar premium not available in dolby atmos for Indian consumers? I am using Nvidia shield 2017 version and could not see atmos logo in "The Mandalorian" nor "The falcon & Winter Soldier".
I'm using Nvidia Shield TV Pro (2019) and I cant see the DA on title, I do see DV and UHD on quite a few movies these days though.

I have been using Xbox, Jio 4K setup box and Amazon Firestick for quite some time.

Had an Xbox one X and upgraded to Xbox Series X. Sound from Xbox is lot better compared to the 3. Be it Dolby Atmos, DD can see a huge difference. Xbox has a dedicated chip to process this, maybe this is the reason it sounds better. One problem though, Netflix goes into HDR10 mode as soon as you start the app.

Xbox will be getting a update to allow pass through, what it means is basically won't use the chip from xbox and it will use from the AVR. Lets see how it works out.

Jio 4K setup box is sound quality is meh, no words. I have to crank it all the way up to to get good sound. Not sure what is wrong. Be it Netflix, Prime or Hotstar, all sound very lossy.

Firestick stick is good for most of the content, but cannot get Dolby Atmos through Netflix.

Hope in future we get a device which is much stable in using all of this. Maybe eARC TVs with all features can help.

Hi,
Looking for some help here for Xbox one S.

When connected directly to TV, it passes all the ticks (4K 60Hz HDR for games and movies etc), but when there is AVR in between, output is limited to 4K 24Hz and no HDR. I am getting 4K HDR from firestick 4K and Apple TV 4K both connected to AVR without any issues.

Have also tried using same HDMI cable and same HDMI slot on AVR as used for ATV 4k without luck.

Hi,
Looking for some help here for Xbox one S.

When connected directly to TV, it passes all the ticks (4K 60Hz HDR for games and movies etc), but when there is AVR in between, output is limited to 4K 24Hz and no HDR. I am getting 4K HDR from firestick 4K and Apple TV 4K both connected to AVR without any issues.

Have also tried using same HDMI cable and same HDMI slot on AVR as used for ATV 4k without luck.

Which AVR you are using?
It should have a option for the video output. Change it from standard to enhanced

Thanks @amrutmhatre90
Will check again in the evening, don't have original cable, using bluerigger cable.

Can this be the reason?

Thanks @amrutmhatre90
Will check again in the evening, don't have original cable, using bluerigger cable.

Can this be the reason?

Can be, many after market cables are fake if we buy cheap and budgets ones. Try if these work.

But try to check if its not the issue with AVR or settings first than cables.

Btw by any chance was the receiver reset recently or updated?

Something is a miss at AVR, it is not able to pass these signals.
VSX 834 which I owned had a option to select standard vs enhanced option, to get all checks enhanced option needs to be selected.

Something is a miss at AVR, it is not able to pass these signals.
VSX 834 which I owned had a option to select standard vs enhanced option, to get all checks enhanced option needs to be selected.
Couldn't find such option, may be I am missing something obvious.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back