Audio Quality: Streaming Vs Blu ray Vs Ripped

Avatar and Titanic are the two absolutely best movies avaialble in Bluray disc. I have both of them and they are nothing short of amazing when it comes to video and audio presentation. They are used as reference discs in audio/video stores in the US. If your Bluray disc fails to provide anything short of refetence level performance then i would question the genuineness of the disc.
Thanks.

Avatar and Titanic are the two absolutely best movies avaialble in Bluray disc. I have both of them and they are nothing short of amazing when it comes to video and audio presentation. They are used as reference discs in audio/video stores in the US. If your Bluray disc fails to provide anything short of refetence level performance then i would question the genuineness of the disc.
Thanks.

Absolutely! That was the precise reason that I bought them.

Those suggestions from Elangoas are good. But I think there are other issues, esp. if you say PQ is also poor. You might want to check the HDMI cable connecting the BD player to the AVR.

Not all PQ are bad. Just a few of the BDs, so I don't think it's the cable. I have a very high quality cable running from BD to the AVR. Infact I would not even say some, but just 2 i.e. Avatar and Titanic to be specific.

The Red box represents a 1080p file with Atmos soundtrack - Approx 9 GB

The Blue Box represents a 2160P file with Atmos soundtrack (Remux file) - Approx 60 GB..

In both the files, only the video quality is the difference (1080p Vs 2160p).. Audio file size is the same in both the files, which is the same as BR Disc (lossless)..

w.r.t video quality, yes there is difference.. you just have to use your discretion for highest file size..
Even I started looking at the bit rate before deciding on the content this days. Most of them are 10 to 15GB. I even exclude the extra's, which I never watch. Even with 15GB, hard disk is filling faster than I calculated. Main reason is ACT updated the FUP.

Any good DTS X movie ? Most of the movies I watched, comes with Atmos.

Even I started looking at the bit rate before deciding on the content this days. Most of them are 10 to 15GB. I even exclude the extra's, which I never watch. Even with 15GB, hard disk is filling faster than I calculated. Main reason is ACT updated the FUP.

OK.. good.. One file with single audio track with losless audio is enough for a movie.. Be it DTS-HDMA (or) Dolby Atmos..

Any good DTS X movie ? Most of the movies I watched, comes with Atmos.

American made, the huntsmen-winter war, despicable me 3 are some of the movies i was able to grab in Dts X..

I just don't have the download size liberty with BSNL :(..

Yesterday I watch " finding dorry" on Netflix and to my experience picture quality was at par with that of Blu Ray version with additional benefits of no black bars on top and bottom , getting full screen picture. Dolby digital track was less dynamic than lossless track and required to raised volume level. Dynamics and soundstage seem to be shrink and volume needs to increase for sufficient listining level of surround sound and same in case of subwoofer. The day streaming services provide lossless audio with full bandwidth in their services will be definitely a revolutionary as that of 4k streaming.

Hi All,

I tried the recommended settings on my BD player. But the effect was very slight to none. Although the SQ "quality" is good, but no surround sound effects. I tried and checked the settings on my AVR as well. But that did not help either. I guess I am pretty sure that the discs are to be blamed here.

I am planning to buy the 4K UHD versions of these movies alongwith the 1080p BD discs that are available in the market (although I don't own a UHD Player but planning to buy soon). Let's see if that makes a difference.

Hi All,

I tried the recommended settings on my BD player. But the effect was very slight to none. Although the SQ "quality" is good, but no surround sound effects. I tried and checked the settings on my AVR as well. But that did not help either. I guess I am pretty sure that the discs are to be blamed here.

I am planning to buy the 4K UHD versions of these movies alongwith the 1080p BD discs that are available in the market (although I don't own a UHD Player but planning to buy soon). Let's see if that makes a difference.
You should download some test files available freely on the Internet and start with them.

Spending more money isn't really going to solve the problem.

Recently I have purchased Pirates of the Caribbean, Salazar revang steele book from Amazon. It contains one 3D disc and one 2D disc. As my TV is now 2D, yesterday I had played 2D version of movie and to my experience the sound track contained is DTS HD HR. Very disappointed as I was looking for DTS HD MA. DTS HD HR is less dynamic than DTS HD MA. If you are habitat to MA you will immediately know the difference , surround effects are little week with the loss of agility and pace. Bass seems to be went down from front speakers and sub. Same happen with James Bond " Die another day " blu ray. Such a great surround sound mix can't be enjoyed to the fullest.

yesterday I had played 2D version of movie and to my experience the sound track contained is DTS HD HR.

Never came across this DTS-HD HR codec..Surprised why the blu-ray disc has DTS-HD HR instead of DTS-HD MA?.. May be it was 25GB disc..

So u mean difference is like 320 Kbps MP3 (CBR) Vs 740 Kbps FLAC (variable)..

DTS HD HR ( High resolution) is similar to Dolby Digital plus and have higher bit rates and more efficient compression to deliver better sound quality. In addition to supporting 5.1 sound schemes, it can also support 7.1. It is better than DD and DTS but not as good as DTS HD MA. You always feel something missing from the surround sound and that are dynamics , subtlety, clearity and details. Not very much popular, Thistle format generate with HD DVD and died with HD DVD. Dolby digital plus make its way with Netflix...

Back