Audio Setup enhancement/revamp/reshuffling query

vasishta.sushant

Not sure if this one should go under Speakers section. Mods please feel free to move it under the relevant section, if need be.

For the background, I have this Samsung HT system which I bought like few months back.

I am using optical out from my PC to the receiver to drive the stock speakers.

Not to mention that this one sucks big time. Only if I tweak the foobar/KMPlayer settings, I am able to get a decent sound. Again nothing worth boasting about.

Right I am soliciting your help on deciding what to do with this thing. Budget, as always, is a constraint. Seems like I've the following options:

Option 1:
=======
Sell the whole system for say 6K (I bought it for 11K) and then build something new from the scratch.

Now again I have further options of buying one HTiB or Just a receiver and two floor standing speakers, whatever comes in my budget.

Option 2:
=======
Replace the speakers. Thinking of buying two floor-standers and replace the front speakers. Later I can replace the Samsung system and can gradually add in a good receiver, once I accrue enough money.

I have Jamo S406 (13.5K) in my mind, can extend the budget to get the Polk Audio TSI 300 (20K) or some other speakers you suggest. The only trouble is, will the samsung receiver be able to drive these speakers ? They do boast about having total 850W RMS. (bull crap i know)

Option 3:
=======
You guys suggest something. All I want is minimum fund outflow but at the same time keep the expandability options open. The current money I can spare is like 20K. And can another 20K about few months down the line and another 20K after another few months.

BTW I have nuforce UDAC which I can use as a DAC with the Samsung receiver.

The usage pattern is 60% music, 40% movies.

What is the RMS rating of existing samsung system? It might not have enough power to drive floorstanders.

Thse HTIBS are weird ... many with 3 ohm loads ...so ratingscannot be trusted

Best thing
sell all
Start with T amp and speakers

This figure might be deceptive (might include sub channel as well and might not be over complete range). We need rating of front channels. Do current speakers have impedance value near wire terminals. Are they 4/6/ 8 ohm ?

You can try taking main unit to some showroom that might these speakers for demo and try it out.

BTW just checked the manual. Here is what I could see:

Front speaker output 141W x 2(3?)
Centre speaker output 141W(3?)
Rear speaker output 141W x 2(3?)
Subwoofer speaker output 145W(3?)
Frequency range 20Hz~20KHz
S/N Ratio 70dB
Channel separation 60dB
Input sensitivity (AUX)400mV

At least from the specs, I can see that it can drive Polk Audio TSi300. (The amp would be able to give odd 50W at 8ohms and the polk recommended input power is from 20W to 150W)

What do you guys suggest ? If I buy the floor standers right now. I'll use this setup for a while and then once I have money, I'll buy the receiver.

Perspectives ?

Last edited:
Sell the entire setup.

Get a Harman Kardon AVR 134 for sub 20k. It is the best 5.1 receiver in this budget in India, AFAIK.

Buy Jamo S 406, AFAIK they will be much more musical than Polk TSI 300. Or get Wharf 9.5 or 10.1/10.2.

Having all Wharf would be good.

You need to do some auditioning before buying.

However, you can more or less bet on the Harman Kardon.

Harman Kardon doesn't do any HD audio decoding so its out of question.

Have got a quote of 39K for Denon AVR 1311 and Polk AUdio TSi300. What do you suggest guys ? Worth the combo ? Or SHould I got for Yamaha 467 instead ?

Whether or not Harman Kardon doe HD audio decoding or not,

just do a blind test with almost any source and almost any song/movie,

and either both will be comparable or Harman will be better. Chances are, Harman will be much better.

What it does technically and what it doesn't, shouldn't make a difference especially when the budget isn't permitting everything.

You should go for good sound quality and clear sound, be it movies or music. And Harman wins over there.

And Wharf 9.2 > TSI 300 for music. Perhaps not for movies though.

What is your priority? Music or Movies?

Too much of desperation made me loose my patience and I just bought the Polk Audio TSi300. Paid 17.5K for them.

And surprisingly these are working good with my current Samsung receiver. I guess I am good with this setup for a while.

The sound quality in stereo mode is very decent (coupled with the samsung sub, which is taking care of the lows).

I'll have to kind of stay away from the multichannel setup since the center channel of the samsung HT is bullshit. Its is the weakest link in the whole setup.

Anyway I am glad that the Yamaha 467 wasn't in the stock so I only bought the Polks. Now I've tried the polks with the samsung and I am good with that. No need to spend another 23K.

Too much of desperation made me loose my patience and I just bought the Polk Audio TSi300. Paid 17.5K for them.

And surprisingly these are working good with my current Samsung receiver. I guess I am good with this setup for a while.

The sound quality in stereo mode is very decent (coupled with the samsung sub, which is taking care of the lows).

I'll have to kind of stay away from the multichannel setup since the center channel of the samsung HT is bullshit. Its is the weakest link in the whole setup.

Anyway I am glad that the Yamaha 467 wasn't in the stock so I only bought the Polks. Now I've tried the polks with the samsung and I am good with that. No need to spend another 23K.

Enjoy the setup :clapping: later when you have lil budget get a stereo amp like topping t20 ;) or a used norge... amp... You will appreciate the sound of polks much better.....

I do not think I need any other Amp. The Samsung Receiver is pumping in enough power. I can barely go beyond 60%. And more importantly the sound is coming out to be amazingly good.

Never did I see such a good separation in any of my previous setups.

Polks really are my kind of speakers. My 3 year old Polk DB691s still kick ass. I was sure about the Polks but the Samsung thing that I was willing to let go for less than half the price I paid for them, not more than 5 months back, could be that good...this was really amazing.

The best thing is that now I can simpy hook in my USB drive to the Samsung Receiver and now everything is controllable from the remote control.

Just listend to Evanescence - My Immortal. What a voice reproduction. I was simply blown away. Not even my RE-0s sound that good.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back