Audio Technica 150MLX!!!

hrtk

After living with a Rega Elys 2 for almost an year i finally decided to move up to a more refined and detailed cartridge as the Rega was very weak in that department. After doing lot of reading and considering the limitations of my Leben phono i narrowed down to the much talked about Audio Technica 150MLX.

Well, its another species compared to the Rega cart. The amount of detail and accuracy this cart reveals is on another level. Out of the box it was a bit lean and bright, but after a few hours its settling down, the bass is getting more deeper and the vocals more sweeter. The sound staging and imaging is more accurate and the instrument separation much better. Its a very good tracker and all my noisy vinyls have now started sounding clean. The inner groove distortion is GONE.

Reviews suggest that it breaks in after 50 hours of use or so but i have put only about 30 hours i would guess. If its gonna sound even better after break in then this one is a winner at the price Lpgear is selling them for ($350). Another positive is the fact that the stylus($200) can be bought and replaced and one doesn't have to send it for re-tipping. All said, this cart is very sensitive to correct matching with cables,tonearm and phono stage. As too much capacitance can make it sound a bit bright and edgy.

I think my search for a good cartridge is over as it sits really well in my all tube Leben gear.

Best
hrtk.

Congrats Hritik for your new cartridge. You have replaced the weakest link in your system. Now it must be a treat to your ears.

Hi Hrtk,

Congrats on your purchase. It is indeed a very reputed cart. I would love to audition it sometime if you would be okay with that. Also going through your record collection and testing your equipment would be no less than a treat.

We should have these kind of meets for the Delhi people (and anyone who is travelling to Delhi or if we are travelling to any other states) once in a while. Would definitely be an enriching experience. I welcome anyone who would want to visit me and have a cup of coffee along with listening to vinyl records.

Cheers !!

Thanks Amit, yes it sure is a treat. You rightly pointed out the cart as the weakest link.

Thanks kartick, ur welcome to come over.

Best
hrtk.

Congratulations Hrtk!

A nice move up. I guess the 150 is like the 140 a very good tracker. What made you get the 150 instead of the 140?

regards

Thanks stevieboy!

I think the 140ML is replaced by 440MLA stylus which is not as detailed and warm as the 150MLX. 150MLX is the MM version of their AT-OC9 MC cart, which is one of the best MC's out there for the price.

Best
hrtk.

Ah hehe was thinking 440 when I wrote 140. Personally I'd take warm over pure tracking if it came to that choice :) sounds like a nice cart!

Regards

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I thot so too that you got confused stevie..;)
It sure is a great cart, just about starting to hit the sweet spot...can even feel the air around the instruments now.

hrtk

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back