Audiophile article - member quoted in current issue of Forbes

Awesome ! At last some serious recognition for the audiophile hobby in a mainstream tier one magazine !

Prem, is that you ? The goldnote and your home looks super cool :)

Great to see Jacob and Ferzaan in the article.

Last week I sent Pm to Prem sir regarding this article whereas he confirmed that it is about him!
Kudos to his dedication..and I am very happy that someone who is our online friend is in forbes!

From the Forbes article
"As valve amplifiers gave way to transistor-based ones, this equation changed. Mass-produced transistor amps could generate significantly more watts per dollar than valve amplifiers. Direct radiator drivers the ones you most likely see on your speaker today arrived, allowing manufacturers to do away with bulky horns, and produce smaller, cheaper speakers by combining multiple drivers into a single enclosure."

"As late as the end of the last century, most music was recorded and stored entirely in analogue form. When music companies decide to convert them to digital formats, say CDs, the analogue data is digitised into 0s and 1s, by passing them through analogue-to-digital converters. When you play it back, your speakers are meant to create sound from analogue electrical signals, so the digital data must be reconverted into analogue signals, using a digital-to-analogue converter. So the music is analogue at the point of creation and final consumption; purists believe that this conversion-reconversion loses original recording information, and also add distortions. By sticking to analogue recordings, storage media, amplifier and speaker they believe you end up reproducing the original sound more accurately."

So CD'S or VINYL? SS or TUBES?
The never ending debate:)

Last edited:
So CD'S or VINYL? SS or TUBES?
The never ending debate:)

let me try to resolve this -

for the man of means - who is willing to expend upwards of 30 lakhs INR for his audio reproduction equipment (as of today) -

and for such a man - provided his hearing has not suffered (significantly) - the ravages of age and time-

and provided this said man has adequate space and volume in the room where he attends to his passion-

and provided this man has chosen all the equipment well-

IT REALLY DOES NOT MATTER WHETHER THE SYSTEM IS ANALOGUE OR DIGITAL-

the difference is too close to make a call-

just a matter of convenience -

and how the said man's adrenaline hot spots are triggered:indifferent14:

BUT - let me say this -

for the rich extrovert - it will always be analogue

and for the rich introvert - it will always be digital and solid-state

Last edited:
@suri
"for the rich extrovert - it will always be analogue
and for the rich introvert - it will always be digital and solid-state"
Why would the extrovert choose analogue and the introvert digital???

@suri
"for the rich extrovert - it will always be analogue
and for the rich introvert - it will always be digital and solid-state"

hehehehe !

that is for you to think about-

let us know what you think -

i have certain ideas about this -

but would like to know yours!

Interesting...couldn't resist jumping in..life and audio nirvana cannot be a string of zeroes and ones..lots of stuff is in-between. The extrovert is able
to judge the in-betweens better, whereas the introvert does NOT want to do so and relegates himself to the clearly defined ones and zeroes...Now if we know the members of this forum and their tastes and so on someone can probably publish a paper...Moderator maybe we should have a seperate thread for this....:)

hehehehe !

that is for you to think about-

let us know what you think -

i have certain ideas about this -

but would like to know yours!

My natural inclination would lean towards being an introvert,and I have a digital/solid state set up.So your hypothesis would be correct.I have never had an Analogue/Tube set up so,I really can't say which I would prefer given, a choice between the two.Going by your posts I would term you as an extrovert,but you are also into digital/solid state,so here your hypothesis falls flat:)
Another hypothesis."People who prefer Analogue/Tubes are nostalgic and prefer living in the past.People who prefer digital/solid state have left the past behind and live in the present."Neither of the two conditions are meant to be inferior/superior.Simply a matter of preference.But in this case my hardware would belong to the present but the music and films I like are from deep in the past!

Last edited:
@suri

Cos extroverts love to live life in the limelight, on display, not hiding anything - LP spinning in full view, out there, larger than life physical dimension, cover art...

Introverts hide inside, more content being withdrawn - CD being drawn into a cozy compartment, hidden from the world, spinning away all by itself only seen by the very few who know just which buttons to press to get it to come out into the open.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back