Audiophile streamer (improving source)

Hi all,

I am looking for best option for transporting digital data to DAC. At present I use Ethernet (CAT6) connection from my router to Devialet 120.

Currently for local play back I place my music files in laptop ( windows 10) and play using Foobar program using bit perfect option.
I have used Roon before and it was good but expired now. I also use Tidal for streaming from laptop and connected to DAC using ethernet.

Now I am looking for best way to improve my source. Following are different options I found

1) Intel NUC with audioLinux.
2) Dante suggested by a friend
3) SoTM sMS-200 Ultra with external power supply and master clock (SoTM there are tons of option up to 8k $ :mad: )
4) Roon Nucleus
5) Streamers from Auralic, Aurender and Bryston.

Can you please suggest which is the best option?

Considering the cost and upgrade option Intel NUC is a good option but not sure about the effort to fine tune it :rolleyes:.
Did any one compared performance between Intel NUC and SoTM? Please share your experience.

Thanks
Renjith
Hi Renjit, I have an SoTM SMS 200-SoTM LPS that I want to get rid of. Both are in good working condition. Do let me know if you decide on this stack as your streaming rig and are interested in picking up pre-owned stuff.

@renjith lal I went from using a Macmini direct to my integrated to a UltraRendu with LPS & i am satisfied.
I would suggest a Network transport. There are great choices like Allo, Rendu series, Lumin, Auralic, Aurender & dCS Network Bridge.

Separately from your signature, seems you already have a Sonic Transporter - a roon core, similar to a NUC or Roon Nucleus.
Is there a reason you are exploring another Roon core?

Hi Rajesh,

No, I am not looking for a new Roon core. I am planning to try some other amp. I was using ethernet connection to Devialet.
Sonictransporter only have ethernet out and no USB output.
Once I am using another integrated (let say Luxman 890Mk2) the I need a streamer and a good Dac and all necessary cables.
Hence I am looking for a streamer and Dac ow.

Thanks
Renjith

Hi Renjit, I have an SoTM SMS 200-SoTM LPS that I want to get rid of. Both are in good working condition. Do let me know if you decide on this stack as your streaming rig and are interested in picking up pre-owned stuff.
Hi Jaideep,

I have not decided which one yet and on top I am in US. Thanks for the offer.

Thanks
Renjith

Ah, got it Renjith.
In that case, here is what i would do.
1. Keep the Sonic Transporter & Roon - UX & Sound Q are equal priorities for me & In my experience Roon has the best UX, followed by BluOS, then the rest.
2. Get either a Streamer with built in DAC, that has "Roon Ready" endpoint certification & its own software
3. (Or) Get a streaming Transport that has "Roon Ready" endpoint certification & its own software + an DAC.

Heres a full list Roon Ready network players

Option 3, will likely have the best sound Q and expensive.
There are endless permutations & combinations with all of the above, and if you add cables to the mix - even more :D
Happy holidays & happy hunting.

Ah, got it Renjith.
In that case, here is what i would do.
1. Keep the Sonic Transporter & Roon - UX & Sound Q are equal priorities for me & In my experience Roon has the best UX, followed by BluOS, then the rest.
2. Get either a Streamer with built in DAC, that has "Roon Ready" endpoint certification & its own software
3. (Or) Get a streaming Transport that has "Roon Ready" endpoint certification & its own software + an DAC.

Heres a full list Roon Ready network players

Option 3, will likely have the best sound Q and expensive.
There are endless permutations & combinations with all of the above, and if you add cables to the mix - even more :D
Happy holidays & happy hunting.

Yeah, I am looking for a Dac and streamer. I guess it is better to separate it than getting an integrated one but
then again need extra cables. I understand the complexity.

Thanks
Renjith

Roon certified endpoint streamer is must if u want to use roon .
You are in usa mecca for hifi. Go to Store and demo. So much choice there

I heard many systems in last couple of week from top of line Dac from Acqua to Nagra. These are super expensive.
I haven't compared the Dac alone but heard different speakers/amp with above Dacs. Now due to Covid and all need to take appointment and
then only we can go for audition.

I will go with Roon certified endpoint streamer only as I have taken life time subscription of Roon.

Thanks
Renjith

Hi all,

I am looking for best option for transporting digital data to DAC. At present I use Ethernet (CAT6) connection from my router to Devialet 120.

Currently for local play back I place my music files in laptop ( windows 10) and play using Foobar program using bit perfect option.
I have used Roon before and it was good but expired now. I also use Tidal for streaming from laptop and connected to DAC using ethernet.

Now I am looking for best way to improve my source. Following are different options I found

3) SoTM sMS-200 Ultra with external power supply and master clock (SoTM there are tons of option up to 8k $ :mad: )
4) Roon Nucleus

Considering the cost and upgrade option Intel NUC is a good option but not sure about the effort to fine tune it :rolleyes:.
Did any one compared performance between Intel NUC and SoTM? Please share your experience.

Thanks
Renjith
Best option is DDC.. Digital to Digital Converter.. it will be mind blowing game.. look for Denafrip IRIS..

Hi all,

4) Roon Nucleus

Thanks
Renjith
Best option is DDC.. Digital to Digital Converter.. it will be mind blowing game.. look for Denafrip IRIS.

Best option is DDC.. Digital to Digital Converter.. it will be mind blowing game.. look for Denafrip IRIS.

what do u use as roon core ?

I use SonicTrasnporter from Small Green computers as Roon core. Unfortunately it has only Ethernet output.
I used to use ethernet connection to Devialet and Roon used to identify it.

Now I have got Luxman 590AX MK2. Hence looking for a streamer and Dac.
Please let me know your suggestions.

Thanks
Renjith

Thats a good option because of I2S input and can be used for clock synching between Terminator plus and DDC.

What is the best input for DDC?
I think there is another model called Gaia.

Thats a good option because of I2S input and can be used for clock synching between Terminator plus and DDC.

What is the best input for DDC?
I think there is another model called Gaia.
Yes.. Gaia is excellent. It has multiple inputs and clock is topend..

I use SonicTrasnporter from Small Green computers as Roon core. Unfortunately it has only Ethernet output.
I used to use ethernet connection to Devialet and Roon used to identify it.

Now I have got Luxman 590AX MK2. Hence looking for a streamer and Dac.
Please let me know your suggestions.

Thanks
Renjith
Roon core over ethernet is whats recommended. U stream throigh an endpoint using RAAT protocol .

Roon core over ethernet is whats recommended. U stream throigh an endpoint using RAAT protocol .
Any roon end point will be using Raaat protocol
Basically he is looking for a dac which also acts as a roon end point
Many do that for example dcs bartoq, lumin.
Since he us in USA he has absolutely tons of options
I will also suggest renjith that if he finds a dac whch has the sound he wants but is no room endpoint, he should still consider that dac and go for any DDC like allo, sotm, micro remedy or anything else

Yes i know that. But confused as to why ethernet output from the roon core device was a problem ?

Yes i know that. But confused as to why ethernet output from the roon core device was a problem ?
I think renjith is getting confused about that.
He might be saying that in relation to using the server directly connected to dac whch is not recommended by roon. But his amp has inbuilt amp and streamer so once given network via ether eh the roon server detects it as roon endpoint.
So he is mixing up few things

Hi @SaurabhK

Just for some clarity, Will it make any sense to use a streamer with Roon? In my opinion Roon is a replacement for a streamer. Good streamer can do everything that Roon can do.

I am trying Roon now days, and my conclusion is that "Roon Certified" tag is more of a marketing gimmic. I hooked up my Luxman dac to my Roon Core laptop (windows) and I have no issues at all. Luxman is not a Roon partner but still it works. So point is Roon certificate means that Roon software can identify the connected device itself and some bare minimum communication is there that is it AFAIK.

I am very new to Roon so won't mind being corrected.

Regards
Vivek

If u are satisfied then its fine. IMO laptops adda lot of noise. Use a separate streamer . You will be amazed. Rooon or not depends on your budget but definetly u will need q standalone roon core. Lot of solutions available for that . Or get a streamer which has its own app. Again optionsnalso available . I found the roon nucleus best sounding which hosts the roon core.

Any roon end point will be using Raaat protocol
Basically he is looking for a dac which also acts as a roon end point
Many do that for example dcs bartoq, lumin.
Since he us in USA he has absolutely tons of options
I will also suggest renjith that if he finds a dac whch has the sound he wants but is no room endpoint, he should still consider that dac and go for any DDC like allo, sotm, micro remedy or anything else

Rikhav,

Once I have more options I get more confused in the quest for getting best instrument. I got your point.
Bartok looks like a good option but I am confused that it can be further improved by adding clock and up sampler.
That means too much of money and I am wondering how complicated is digital.

I am thinking of separating Dac and streamer. Streamer seems to be changing very fast.

Thanks
Renjith

I think renjith is getting confused about that.
He might be saying that in relation to using the server directly connected to dac whch is not recommended by roon. But his amp has inbuilt amp and streamer so once given network via ether eh the roon server detects it as roon endpoint.
So he is mixing up few things

Yes, I am bit confused using Devialet.
Now I am clear, I need a good streamer/roon endpoint. I know roon prefer ethernet connection.

Thanks.

If u are satisfied then its fine. IMO laptops adda lot of noise. Use a separate streamer . You will be amazed. Rooon or not depends on your budget but definetly u will need q standalone roon core. Lot of solutions available for that . Or get a streamer which has its own app. Again optionsnalso available . I found the roon nucleus best sounding which hosts the roon core.

Saurabh,

Thanks for sharing your experience in using Roon nucleus as roon core. Are you using Nucleus plus?
I was comparing Nucleus and sonicTransporter six months back and went with sonicTransporter as roon core based on better processor.
One advantage Nucleus had based on my observation is it has a UBB out (which again many not be needed for all).

Streamer like Aurender doesnt support roon or not roon endpoint but it has its own good software. I also prefer to separate streamer and Dac.
Still search is on for both, will finalize in couple of weeks.

Thanks
Renjith

Have the basic nucleus . However also use the sotm switch with sotm lps with the optical commectivity . Is a huge upgrade. Plus really not needed . Roon on a laptop was really crappy until i heard the nucleus. Night n day differrnce. Other cheaper options would be nuc . In fact laptops are best avoided for any kind of music.

Have the basic nucleus . However also use the sotm switch with sotm lps with the optical commectivity . Is a huge upgrade. Plus really not needed . Roon on a laptop was really crappy until i heard the nucleus. Night n day differrnce. Other cheaper options would be nuc . In fact laptops are best avoided for any kind of music.
A dedicated server will be a better option for sure than a regular laptop with lot of software's running.
I also use an Ethernet to optical fiber converter converter and back using SFP module. I haven't tried any switches from companies like soTm.
I find some improvement in audio quality using this option.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back