Audyssey - best Mic positions

ankitbhargava

I have been looking around for resources to find out what would be most optimal positions in various scenarios to place the Mic. while running Audyssey and to my surprise I could not find a very satisfactory answer. I want to start this thread to learn about what Mic. positions do the members use while running Audyssey in their setup?

I am sure the standard Audyssey guide to place Mic doesn't give best results to me at least.

I have a 2 seater Recliner with a space in center as Remote Box, Left Seat is where I sit and I consider it as the main listening position (MLP). My AVR has MultQT 32 and I use 8 positions to run the setup.

This is how I keep 8 positions, I ensure that Mic is kept at ear level
1 : Center of the Remote Box (its the center of left and right seats)
2 : About 10 inch away from the backrest of Left Seat (MLP), centered
3 : About 10 inch away from the backrest of Right Seat, centered
4 : About 6 inches forward from Position 1
5. About 6 inches to left of Position 2 (I lean my head there)
6. About 6 inches right to Position 3
7. Back of Recliner towards right corner of the Left seat
8. Back of Recliner towards left corner of Right Seat

aud.jpeg

I hope I haven't confused much
After many experiments with Mic positions, I haven't been able to find optimal positions.
Sometimes the bass go a lot ineffective to MLP!

Please do share the positions that have worked best in your scenario.

I have been looking around for resources to find out what would be most optimal positions in various scenarios to place the Mic. while running Audyssey and to my surprise I could not find a very satisfactory answer. I want to start this thread to learn about what Mic. positions do the members use while running Audyssey in their setup?

I am sure the standard Audyssey guide to place Mic doesn't give best results to me at least.

I have a 2 seater Recliner with a space in center as Remote Box, Left Seat is where I sit and I consider it as the main listening position (MLP). My AVR has MultQT 32 and I use 8 positions to run the setup.

This is how I keep 8 positions, I ensure that Mic is kept at ear level
1 : Center of the Remote Box (its the center of left and right seats)
2 : About 10 inch away from the backrest of Left Seat (MLP), centered
3 : About 10 inch away from the backrest of Right Seat, centered
4 : About 6 inches forward from Position 1
5. About 6 inches to left of Position 2 (I lean my head there)
6. About 6 inches right to Position 3
7. Back of Recliner towards right corner of the Left seat
8. Back of Recliner towards left corner of Right Seat

View attachment 50632

I hope I haven't confused much
After many experiments with Mic positions, I haven't been able to find optimal positions.
Sometimes the bass go a lot ineffective to MLP!

Please do share the positions that have worked best in your scenario.
As per guide lines each position should not be more then 60 cm from the first

Why would you make the center of the no man zone as your primary seating position? The primary sear you sit is your Position 1. All other positions are relative to that. I used to have each position 2 feet around the primary listening position. Form a rectangle with your positions.

MaSh

Why would you make the center of the no man zone as your primary seating position? The primary sear you sit is your Position 1. All other positions are relative to that. I used to have each position 2 feet around the primary listening position. Form a rectangle with your positions.

MaSh
I really thought that probably would average out a decent sound at both seats :-/
What positions do you suggest?
1. Center of MLP, 2. Center of Right side Seat and then few inches away from these 2 positions to left and right?
With 2 feet at max rule, wouldn't second seat be completely left out? Practically center of my seat to center of other seat is about 80 Cms

Or
. 7 8
3 2 1
6 5 4

1 above being MLP, 2 the Remote Box and 3 the other seat

1. Position 1:- Main listening Position (In your case Left Couch, otherwise your cup holder)
  2. Position 2:- 2 feet from position 1 (Forward)
  3. Position 3:- 2 feet from position 1 (Right)
  4. Position 4:- 2 feet from position 1 (Left)
  5. Position 5:- 2 feet from position 3 (Forward)
  6. Position 6:- 2 feet from position 4 (Forward)
  7. Position 7:- 2 feet from position 5 (Backword)
  8. Position 8:- 2 feet from position 6 (Backword)
* The Mic should be at the ear level when you are sitting on the couch.

It looks wide and seems like ur taking measurements for two seating positions. Run audyssey for one MLP alone.
Shall definitely try it, yes I was taking measurement for both seats keeping the MLP to the Remote Box so that best response averages out to both seats. Seems, it could be wrong approach

1. Position 1:- Main listening Position (In your case Left Couch, otherwise your cup holder)
Thanks,

1 being MLP and Left Seat on Couch

Wouldn't 7 & 8 be again 3 and 4 by your suggestion?

• Position 7:- 2 feet from position 3 (Backword)
  • Position 8:- 2 feet from position 4 (Backword)

I really thought that probably would average out a decent sound at both seats :-/
What positions do you suggest?
1. Center of MLP, 2. Center of Right side Seat and then few inches away from these 2 positions to left and right?
With 2 feet at max rule, wouldn't second seat be completely left out? Practically center of my seat to center of other seat is about 80 Cms

Or
. 7 8
3 2 1
6 5 4

1 above being MLP, 2 the Remote Box and 3 the other seat
Exactly how Om put it. MLP is literally your seating position. The mic should be where your ears will be.

Consider the receiver to be a blind person in a lift and you the helper with audible instructions only. So how accurate do you need to be to help that person press the right floor button? There are no averages here. The seating positions help the receiver build a Map of your seating and apply the correct filters.

MaSh

The 8 positions r too close and not exactly the listener positions,so u wont get the correct audyssey readings.

Exactly how Om put it. MLP is literally your seating position. The mic should be where your ears will be.

Consider the receiver to be a blind person in a lift and you the helper with audible instructions only. So how accurate do you need to be to help that person press the right floor button? There are no averages here. The seating positions help the receiver build a Map of your seating and apply the correct filters.

MaSh
@OM_2K19 @MaSh @pkhammu2005 thanks, I had a doubt that I wasn't following it correctly, I will give it a try the way you suggested.

@OM_2K19 @MaSh @pkhammu2005 thanks, I had a doubt that I wasn't following it correctly, I will give it a try the way you suggested.
Yes and don't think that would be the last time you'll be doing it. There were days when I was doing the routine almost every night to get it perfect. Each room is different, each tweak gives a different result. Audyssey is just a tool. It's us who need to learn to use it to its best potential.

Happy Experimenting.

MaSh

Yes and don't think that would be the last time you'll be doing it. There were days when I was doing the routine almost every night to get it perfect. Each room is different, each tweak gives a different result. Audyssey is just a tool. It's us who need to learn to use it to its best potential.

Happy Experimenting.

MaSh
Subwoofer Crawl is additional.. ;-)

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back