Audyssey vs Manual set up

Love4sound

Hi All

Just want your inputs with the settings. After running the Audyssey set up my front 3 speakers nd subwoofer placed just below the frint right are measured at 9-9.3 ft. But manually if I measure using a tape it is only 7-7.3ft. My HT set up is in a bedroom with cupboard computer etc. so what should I do manually correct them or leave it at Audyssey settings? And what volume should I keep for the speakers. All speakers are set at -4 to -8 dB respectively.

Never used Audyssey, but a couple of answers nevertheless:

1. What Audyssey (or any other room correction that does this type of measurement) measures is acoustical distances of speakers from LP. For a variety of reasons, these may/may not match physical distances.

2. Re. volume, leave the trims on the AVR where they are. Try adjusting the MV on your AVR first, as Audyssey has level matched the speakers post calibration. If you adjust the trims for the individual speakers, you're effectively invalidating the level matching. If adjusting the MV only doesn't help, feel free to adjust the trims for the individual speakers to match your preference. Know that your speakers aren't level matched once you do that though.

Hi All

Just want your inputs with the settings. After running the Audyssey set up my front 3 speakers nd subwoofer placed just below the frint right are measured at 9-9.3 ft. But manually if I measure using a tape it is only 7-7.3ft. My HT set up is in a bedroom with cupboard computer etc. so what should I do manually correct them or leave it at Audyssey settings? And what volume should I keep for the speakers. All speakers are set at -4 to -8 dB respectively.

liverpool_for_life has given detailed inputs..

Audyssey tries to set each speaker at 75 db SPL from your listening position, so all the speakers are level matched and playing the same volume level.. Audyssey is mostly spot on.. You can leave the settings untouched IMO.. I usually bump the subwoofer level post calibration for my preference..

liverpool_for_life has given detailed inputs..

Audyssey tries to set each speaker at 75 db SPL from your listening position, so all the speakers are level matched and playing the same volume level.. Audyssey is mostly spot on.. You can leave the settings untouched IMO.. I usually bump the subwoofer level post calibration for my preference..
So the speaker volumes and distance I leave it to Audyssey nd remaining manual right?

Never used Audyssey, but a couple of answers nevertheless:

1. What Audyssey (or any other room correction that does this type of measurement) measures is acoustical distances of speakers from LP. For a variety of reasons, these may/may not match physical distances.

2. Re. volume, leave the trims on the AVR where they are. Try adjusting the MV on your AVR first, as Audyssey has level matched the speakers post calibration. If you adjust the trims for the individual speakers, you're effectively invalidating the level matching. If adjusting the MV only doesn't help, feel free to adjust the trims for the individual speakers to match your preference. Know that your speakers aren't level matched once you do that though.
Thanks for ur inputs.

Not only the subwoofer. The crossover settings as well. Cause Audyssey sets the Dali z1 vokal nd z3 to large nd sets them to 40hz

Audyssey has considered them as large as possibly they can handle more low freq better.....conservative settings will be keeping them at 60hz...

Audyssey has considered them as large as possibly they can handle more low freq better.....conservative settings will be keeping them at 60hz...
Ok what about subwoofer mode. There are two options one is LFE and LFE+Main. How does that work? I think it applies only whe we use towers and set them to large right? When all speakers are set to Amal it doesn’t matter if I keep it at lfe or lfe+main

Hi All

Usually, some of us run Audyssey thrice to get the best optimal settings......as already detailed by the others......calculation is based on various parameters including what is there in the room (Furniture / Obstacles)

If you feel the levels are low during playback, you can first check the Source Level and manually adjust that....after that still you feel its less...manually increase every speaker by 1db....

Most of us after audyssey do some manual tweaks to suit our listening preferences......perhaps you may need to do some.......try different content for playback to be sure....

Ok what about subwoofer mode. There are two options one is LFE and LFE+Main. How does that work? I think it applies only whe we use towers and set them to large right? When all speakers are set to Amal it doesn’t matter if I keep it at lfe or lfe+main

I have kept it as LFE+MAIN on my SR series Marantz AVR and it does make a difference in sound quality.

Usually, some of us run Audyssey thrice to get the best optimal settings......as already detailed by the others......calculation is based on various parameters including what is there in the room (Furniture / Obstacles)

If you feel the levels are low during playback, you can first check the Source Level and manually adjust that....after that still you feel its less...manually increase every speaker by 1db....

Most of us after audyssey do some manual tweaks to suit our listening preferences......perhaps you may need to do some.......try different content for playback to be sure....
Yeah that’s what I have been doing for months lol. I keep tweaking the settings playing various contents. Calibration will be easy in a dedicated we’re we’re ther are no obstacles. Since I have my set up in bedroom I can feel a lot of rumbles in boomy scenes

Yeah that’s what I have been doing for months lol. I keep tweaking the settings playing various contents. Calibration will be easy in a dedicated we’re we’re ther are no obstacles. Since I have my set up in bedroom I can feel a lot of rumbles in boomy scenes

This is what i have done...
  • 60hz is Fronts (8 inch speakers...LARGE)
  • 80hz Center (5 inch SMALL)
  • 90hz surrounds (6.5 inch SMALL)
  • LFE + Main
  • LPF for LFE = 100hz...(you can toy around by trying 90hz, 110 or 120hz the boominess will stop)
SVS seem to also recommend something similar...just found this via google search.....

https://www.svsound.com/blogs/svs/tips-for-setting-the-proper-crossover-frequency-for-a-subwoofer

I guess you have your questions answered. I would suggest setting all speakers Small and crossing them to 60 or 80hz. You can set the sub to 120hz and at LFE setting. LFE+Main if you like it, I don't. Leave the distance and level settings as is. If the variation between left and right speakers is more than 2db, check your room and speaker placement. The Audyssey numbers are not the final solution, they need slight tweaking and taken as a clue to understand what's happening in your room.

You could also run Audyssey with your sub's port/s plugged while on floor, on a jute rug, driver or port facing the wall, facing the room, firing across the room, etc.

MaSh

The crossover settings as well.

As always, it pays to verify the crossover settings that has been automatically determined by the auto calibration tool. Every room is different. So, standard crossover values aren't always the best for everyone.

Recommended practice for HT:

1. Measure Center alone.

2. Measure Center + Sub.

If, when comparing (1) and (2), there is a dip in response when the center and sub are playing together, there is almost certainly a phase issue between the two that can be resolved by adjusting distances for the sub and checking the response after. Pick the distance setting for the sub that allows for the best integration between the center and the sub in/around the crossover area.

As always, it pays to verify the crossover settings that has been automatically determined by the auto calibration tool. Every room is different. So, standard crossover values aren't always the best for everyone.

Recommended practice for HT:

1. Measure Center alone.

2. Measure Center + Sub.

If, when comparing (1) and (2), there is a dip in response when the center and sub are playing together, there is almost certainly a phase issue between the two that can be resolved by adjusting distances for the sub and checking the response after. Pick the distance setting for the sub that allows for the best integration between the center and the sub in/around the crossover area.
Yeah I tested same contents for countless hours with different settings and have set them based on my ears liking

Set all speakers to small & use LFE.. This will route bass below 80 Hz from all speakers to sub-woofer..

Set all speakers to small & use LFE.. This will route bass below 80 Hz from all speakers to sub-woofer..
I tried 80hz but not sounding good so keeping my fronts nd surrounds to 100 nd centre at 120. Crossover I kept it at 120hz nd this sounds better for me

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back