Automatic hatch - First car suggestion.

You cant go wrong with any of the above, but if i were you, i'd choose the one which gets you good discounts.

On a side note, all the prices look atrocious for what they offer ! I guess the the Indian automobile slowdown is just what everyone needed !
i10 Nios feels fresh. Only Jazz and Polo GT puts a smile on my face for some reason.
Hopefully I am not making a financial blunder in considering Jazz over others. Lets see if I can negotiate further.

Price mentioned is before negotiation.
1) Hyundai i10Nios Sportz AMT - close to 8.6L
2) Honda Jazz VX CVT - close to 11L (I will pass the Amaze for other reasons.)
3) Swift ZXI+ AMT - close to 10L
4) Hyundai i20 CVT Sportz - close to 10L
1st choice : Swift ZXI + AMT will be better choice - better mileage , good service . But not sure how Automatic performs.
2nd choice :Honda Jazz VX CVT - close to 11L , plenty of space & leg room . Good family car.
3rd choice : heard Hyundai i20 AMT is very good from my friends ,they are using it for more than 4 years and happy.
I am counting it down because of limited space in rear.

My brother bought a Honda Amaze a few months back. Lives up to it's name :)
A car dealer friend says VW Polo is definitely the best hatchback.
Test drive the Tata Nexon and maybe the Ecosport as well. Excellent vehicles.

I am using jazz V CVT from last 1.6 years its 2018 model before changes its very comfortable to drive and those who accompany. My brother in law has baleno cvt but I feel jazz is way better in terms of build quality and comfort along with safety mileage I get around 10-12 in Pune pathetic traffic. Highway i get around 16 may be because touching 140kmpl mind you its still stable wish the ground clearance should have more

You want him to deal with VW and pray everyday that it's DSG does not fail :)

All this is too much for his very first car.

Otherwise no doubt a good engine gearbox combo, suspension is little too soft but I can understand why VW opted for that .
no problem with the DSG .Can purchase safely.

Add VW GT TSI to the test drive list.
In terms of sheer power/torque and handling, it is a fun and hot hatch.
9-12 kmpl in city, 12-15 kmpl on highway.
Built solid too. Can take a good share of namma Bengaluru traffic dings.
Rear seat is a bit cramped for long family rides.

Cheers,
Raghu

Been enjoying my GT TSI for over four years now. In terms of pure driving pleasure and safety none of the other options come close. The rear space is small so not for big families. Been happy with VW service as well. I get 15-16 kmpl on 70% highway travel with AC on. It responds well to both soft foot (mileage) and hard foot (acceleration). The auto gear box (7 gears dual shift) is same as that used in Audi and leagues ahead of similar priced competition.

no problem with the DSG .Can purchase safely.

Second that. And VW extends its warranty till seven years so you are protected.

My first call was to VW GT TSI. No discounts, so out of my budget. :(

Go with the heart. You don’t buy a car every day! Some may see no discount as a positive sign too. GT TSI is an exclusive group - do read the thread on Team-BHP. An enthusiasts’ car. Test drive it and zip off from a green signal. You may reconsider the budget.

My wife had the VW Polo Diesel Manual shift for 5 years and then changed it to a i20 (1 from the top model) petrol Automatic recently.
She loves the auto and the Electronics feature but misses the fun of the VW.

We also tried jazz, Baleno as well and they are good ( jazz > Baleno) but not at the same level.

Personally the VW is a class apart for driving comfort but for 2 things
1. The electronics are not as good
2. the hump for the drive in the middle of the car makes seating for 5 difficult.

In terms of a personal recommendation For 4 people the VW is a no brainer even for the increased price even if you want to go long distance. For 5 people the i20 Diesel might be better.

Surprisingly, no mention of Ford cars. Hv been driving EcoSport petrol from past 8 months and it's just wonderful, both for city as well as highway drive. Although the mileage is <10 for city, which may be concerning. However, it easily offered me close to 16 on the way to Pondicherry with 4 fully grown adults and at an average speed of close to 80.
Consider ford freestyle as well. Superb value for money car with reasonable price tag.

Have a ecosport myself but most who want a Hyundai, Honda or maruti mostly stay away from a Ford
So I thought no point beating around the bush :)

Been enjoying my GT TSI for over four years now. In terms of pure driving pleasure and safety none of the other options come close. The rear space is small so not for big families. Been happy with VW service as well. I get 15-16 kmpl on 70% highway travel with AC on. It responds well to both soft foot (mileage) and hard foot (acceleration). The auto gear box (7 gears dual shift) is same as that used in Audi and leagues ahead of similar priced competition.

One correction.
What we get here with HT TSI is the dry clutch version which is more prone to failure
VW has silently changed it to wet clutch in it's higher priced version so assuming same for Audi's too. but again Audi's too not Al come with a dual clutch

Issue is our stop and go traffic leads to over heating of the dual clutch transmission

With a budget of 11 lakh I will choose the polo gt tsi. Me and my twin brother both have been using it for two years. Usage is minimum about 6-7k kms a year and haven’t faced any issues so far. Only draw back is rear leg space.Mileage is 7-10 in city but in highways easily 17-18.If kids use the back seats rear space is more then enough. Hyundai, Maruthi, honda and other brands in 11L and below feels like driving a toy compared to VW and are no match for the GT tsi (sorry no offence to the hyundai, Maruthi and other owners). #kiss French,eat Italian and DriveGerman. It’s as simple as that :). The major negative point in VW is the service. They charge high amount for doing nothing. Also they cheat a lot. Many cases VW and skoda have charged customers 80k-1L for a work that actually won’t cost more then 5k. If you are not bothered about maintenance cost GT TSI all the way

Last edited:
Been driving my Hyundai xcent auto torque converter for the last 5 years. No problems faced. Around 10000 Kms / year

I have Honda Mobilo and it's a. Super specious vehicle. Honda have very good engine, transmission , breaking and suspension. If properly maintain with regular service then it's a no maintenance car. But if poorly handled and maintain then the service and spare parts can break your back and needs service from authorised Honda service center only. I Recently Renault has introduced Renault Triber which have flexi seat arrangement . You make ask for test drive....

Yeah. VW is a weird company. On most of their "premium" models absolutely no discount.
Cheers,
Raghu
Profit margin is very less compared to the standard versions and that is why GT tsi has no discounts. The standard polo and vento gets discounts up to 80k and 1L for older versions

Last edited:
Been driving my Hyundai xcent auto torque converter for the last 5 years. No problems faced. Around 10000 Kms / year
i10 and Xcent AT models are not available anymore. New i10 Nios comes with AMT, similar to the one in Santro

Co
Hi All,

I am planning to get my first car very soon. I am considering hatch back and below is my shortlist with varying price range.
Please help me without your feedback.

Price mentioned is before negotiation.
1) Hyundai i10Nios Sportz AMT - close to 8.6L
2) Honda Jazz VX CVT - close to 11L (I will pass the Amaze for other reasons.)
3) Swift ZXI+ AMT - close to 10L
4) Hyundai i20 CVT Sportz - close to 10L

Family of 4 as of now. Used mostly for office commute ~20KM per day in Bangalore traffic and weekend drive ~40KM in Bangalore.
Occasional highway run. Expecting my annual usuage to be around 5K KM.

Jazz is BS4 I believe. So is it ok to spend close to 11L now ?
i20 scares me on the mileage front.

I am almost close to booking i10 Nios, but my family is pushing for Jazz since we have one in our extended family.

Hi, Consider Maruti Suzuki Boleno in your list.

Surprisingly, no mention of Ford cars. Hv been driving EcoSport petrol from past 8 months and it's just wonderful, both for city as well as highway drive. Although the mileage is <10 for city, which may be concerning. However, it easily offered me close to 16 on the way to Pondicherry with 4 fully grown adults and at an average speed of close to 80.
Consider ford freestyle as well. Superb value for money car with reasonable price tag.
Ford's partial exit from India made me skip ford. Else Ford is very good option with 6 air bags on automatic.

Hopefully when I upgrade to 2nd car, DSG will be my first option. Hopefully we will have some vRS models by then.

Heading to Honda for further negotiation now. Lets see how it goes. :)
Thanks everyone for the valuable suggestion so far.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back