AV Receiver + Bookshelf speakers

sachvgo

Hi All,

This is my first thread on this forum.

I am from Pune and looking for good audio setup for my new apartment. Since I have some space constaints; I am looking for setup with minimal of wirework.

My basic setup which I have decided is as follows:
JBL/Onkyo/Yamaha AV receiver,
Polk audio/JBL bookshelves speaker 2,

I plan to add center speaker later on. My budget is around 35K. My main usage will be for music through my Ipod. My major requirement is that the setup should give very good sound quality.

I have also seen Onkyo 3300. But in this forum I found the general comment that this system is good for movies and it wont give desired sound effect for music.

I would also like to know that with above setup(receiver+surround speaker+Center speaker); is it possible to acheive good sound quality?

Please help me to design my system. Kindly suggest good combination with above mentioned setup.

Any pointers to audio shoppies are welcome.

Thanks and regards,
Sachin

I think you shld look for a Stereo/integrated amp with SUB option ...That will be much better than AV receiver with bookshelf and center.

I think you shld look for a Stereo/integrated amp with SUB option ...That will be much better than AV receiver with bookshelf and center.

+1 to that. You can try out amps from good companies like NAD, Cambridge Audio, Marantz, Norge alongwith a pair of bookshelves as per the amp.

@kittu1977

thanks for your input.

Can you suggest the some stereo setup.
My friend has the following setup and it sounds great.

Denon 1611 + Polk audio Tsi 200 book shelves.

Thanks,
Sachin

Last edited:
@kittu1977

thanks for your input.

Can you suggest the some stereo setup.
My friend has the following setup and it sounds great.

Denon 1611 + Polk audio Tsi 200 book shelves.

Thanks,
Sachin

Sachin,

Suggesting a specific brand and model will be biased opinion.. So as other forum member mentioned above there are few brands make good stereo/integrated amps.... so check what brands are available in your town so you can audition as many as possible .

What kinda of music you listen to ?
Do you have a large room to go for FS or Bookshelfs will do for you ?
What is your total budget for AMP/BS?

Kittu

You could also consider Denon 1311 and wharf BS
Thanks for suggestion. Wanted to know about wharf BS speakers as I am really new to this brand.

There are diamond 10 and 9 series. Can you throw light on price range.

Thanks
Sachin

Last edited:
Sachin,

Suggesting a specific brand and model will be biased opinion.. So as other forum member mentioned above there are few brands make good stereo/integrated amps.... so check what brands are available in your town so you can audition as many as possible .

What kinda of music you listen to ?
Do you have a large room to go for FS or Bookshelfs will do for you ?
What is your total budget for AMP/BS?

Kittu

I listen to hindi songs (New+old), rock(linkin park, brian adam, eagle, pearl jam). Also I will be using ipod for music and ipod connecivity is there in some of the AV receivers.

I really do not have big room (16*12) for the setup. So I was considering polk audio/JBL bookshelves which I have heard personally.

Total Budget is around 30-35K

My major requirement is that sound quality for music should be great. Can it be achieved thorugh stereo setup? Do stereo setup also give surround sound effect as well?

Thank,
Sachin

Last edited:
My major requirement is that sound quality for music should be great. Can it be achieved thorugh stereo setup? Do stereo setup also give surround sound effect as well?

Thank,
Sachin

Look at the audioengine A5 also in this budget range.You could add a sub too.It has the option for ipod connectivity also.My impression is that stereo is best for music and that any music listened through surround speakers is largely fake surround.

http://audioproductsindia.com/products.htm

Last edited:

Proper Stereo setup would definitely give you quality music. However it would not give you sourround sound.

Some music band have started releasing music in 5.1 format and in my experience, that does have value. For example you can listen tracks on DTS Demo Bly Ray. It has old tracks remastered for 5.1 as well as new albums that were recorded in 5.1 grounds up.

@sachvgo

if music is prime concern then go for stereo setup, AVR will not do proper justice for music. and majority of the music is available in stereo format

i have listen marantz PM6003 + wharf 9.2 combo and personally i like that...

however there are more good options like:
Amp : marantz, NAD, cambridge Audio, norge
Speaker : wharf, moniter audio, quad, PSB,MS

start audition for differnt combos and choose according to your taste and budget.

regards
vinay

@sachvgo

i have listen marantz PM6003 + wharf 9.2 combo and personally i like that...

however there are more good options like:
Amp : marantz, NAD, cambridge Audio, norge
Speaker : wharf, moniter audio, quad, PSB,MS

regards
vinay

I will be checking the Wharf 9.2 at Silomedia Pune.

Can somebody throw light on price of wharf 9.1 and 9.2 in Pune.

Will update my exp with wharf after audition.

Thanks,
Sachin

Could not get time to check the wharf 9.2.

have to check this weekend.

I was checking for the amplifiers on the forum. The prices for good amplifier are almost equal to entry level AVR.

e.g.

Amplifiers
NAD C315BEE : 19-20K,
PMA 510AE : 17-18K
Marantz PM5003 : 18-19K

and at the same price i can get
JBL HK 134 AVR : 20k,
Onkyo TX-SR508: 25K,
Denon 1311 : 25K

So I just wanted to know that will it be wise to go for entry level AVR than high end ampliefier.

For me sound quality seems to be same with amplifier and AVR since I am not audiophile.

Please advise.

Thanks,
Sachin

Last edited:
@sachvgo

next time when you go for audition. pair of speakers with AVR as well as stereo amp then play music one by one. then you will see difference in sound

when speaker are connected with stereo amp then sound come in more detail in compare with AVR.

rest judge by listening.

Hi All,

Wish you a very happy new year.

I contacted Mr. Behram from Auqarius ele (Silomedia). They do not have 9.2 available for demo as well as for sale. So need to wait for the same :sad:.

Is there any place to get this speakers in Pune? Seems like I need to plan a trip to mumbai for the same.

Thanks,
Sachin Gosavi

@sachvgo

next time when you go for audition. pair of speakers with AVR as well as stereo amp then play music one by one.

Generally in the AVR , we have the option "stereo mode" to behave like stereo AMP. When I listened in this mode i dont find much difference comparing to stereo AMPS. Try this also..

But if your choice is only music then AVR is not necessary. Choose stereo AMP.

Hi all,

Yesterday went to Aquarius electronics at east street to demo wharf 9.2.

They have norge 2060 available for demo. I took demo for norge 2060 plus following speakers.
Wharf 9.2,
Wharf 10.1,
Paradigm monitor titan,
Quad 12L2.

I really like the way quad sounds but it was way out of my budget:sad:.
Wharf 9.2 definitely sound better than 10.1:clapping:. The bass is very tight and sounds really well.

Paradigm monitor also sounded well but they were too loud in my opinion.

Demo was given by Amit and he was very helpful. I could not bargain for prices as Mr. Behram was not there for that.

I have finalised Norge 2060 + Wharf 9.2. Looking forward to bargain the deal from Mr. Behram next week.

Disclaimer: Above all are my opinions and I do not want to offend anyone personally for the same.

Thaks all for the inputs.

Regards,
Sachin Gosavi

I also have to ascertain for myself if there is any tangible difference between listening to music on an AVR and on a stereo amp. I willl need to audition these set-ups soon.

Hi all,

Yesterday went to Aquarius electronics at east street to demo wharf 9.2.

They have norge 2060 available for demo. I took demo for norge 2060 plus following speakers.
Wharf 9.2,
Wharf 10.1,
Paradigm monitor titan,
Quad 12L2.

I really like the way quad sounds but it was way out of my budget:sad:.
Wharf 9.2 definitely sound better than 10.1:clapping:. The bass is very tight and sounds really well.

Paradigm monitor also sounded well but they were too loud in my opinion.

Demo was given by Amit and he was very helpful. I could not bargain for prices as Mr. Behram was not there for that.

I have finalised Norge 2060 + Wharf 9.2. Looking forward to bargain the deal from Mr. Behram next week.

Disclaimer: Above all are my opinions and I do not want to offend anyone personally for the same.

Thaks all for the inputs.

Regards,
Sachin Gosavi

Hi Sachin,

What were the damages, including discounts (if any)? :p

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back