availability of brand new vinyl in bangalore

Hi,

Went to Odyssey at Adyar,and its great to see new Vinyl in a store in India.

I picked up

Joni Mitchel-Blue

Norah Jones-Come Away With Me

Prices for these two(standard pressing) were around Rs 800/

The 180gm Lp's are around Rs.1700-2000.

I could see some Eagles,Clapton,Doors,Greatful Dead,America,Neil Young,Steve Miller Band(anyone remember them) etc.

There was a box set of the Travelling Willburys but at Rs6000/odd I had to leave it on the shelf.The Beatles Parlphone mono records are around Rs.550the White Album 180gm IS Rs.3000/

Does Landmark in Chennai have Vinyl?

The sticker on the LP shrink wrap says Imported by Virgin India (PVT Ltd),so apart from EMI/Warner is Virgin also importing Vinyl Lp's?

Regards
Rajiv

Not at the moment. But Babi Mitra (the head of merchandising) has assured me that he will be bringing them in. If you can get to meet Babi, great. He's a walking talking encyclopedia on 60's and 70's rock.

At Odyssey at Adyar, ask if you can meet Kathiresh. He's a catalogue by himself too, especially on the Blue Note, Prestige, Pablo, Riverside and Warner jazz labels. Tell them I referred their names. If you're a serious music listener, then you will enjoy their company, if not they wont bother spending any time with you.

Rohit

We also stock audiophile LP Recordings.

I understand that you are something of a hotshot when it comes to systems etc. in BLR, but that don't impress me much. Sorry.

However, are you carrying a back catalogue of MoFi? Particularly Muddy Waters "Folk Singer"? Or are you placing casemark orders on MoFi as and when you receive orders? I would be keen on Sinatra in Paris and Sinatra with Strings if you're carrying these three pressings, please let me know.

Hi,

Guys, this is all thanks to my friends at EMI Music (who are also the licensees for Warner bros Records) in India for getting the vinyls down. After screaming myself hoarse for the 10 years I worked in the music retail bizniz and being being called a dinosaur who listens to fossilised music by my ex-boss, I feel I have been vindicated. Right now I'm trying to coax the sales managers at Sony Music and Universal Music to import LPs. But those guys tend to wake up about seven to ten years too late.

After years of groping by pundits and experts in the dark about where the industry was heading to, (I admit even I got very paranoid and after having made many predictions of downloading and memory, USB sticks, mobile phones, hand held devices, streaming audio and sandisks etc), I moved out of it. All this time the answer was staring us right in the face; back to basics Vinyl LP.

If now they can find superior, lighter, stronger and more durable materials for LP records, then the future of digital music (dare I say) is over.

I've been following this thread from the beginning and after your entry with even more interest !!

Am very glad that you've managed to do something which all others failed :clapping: ! But can you please ask these companies to be sane and price the LP's accordingly so that we Less Morals can buy it too :eek:hyeah: ???

Because if they don't price it appropriately there's a grave danger lurking which will render all Us music lovers incapacitated !!

The thing is now that these big brands are bringing in LP's and pricing it at such MRP's,the small time folks who used to sell Old LP's at somewhat ok price of less then 200 or so ( based on Mint condition,good condition etc ) will now start to charge on the same lines and will give excuse pointing towards the new LP's Sold at these prices !!

So in that case we not only will lose the ability to buy new one (which as I mentioned earlier is bit too much for me) but also write off the purchase of LP's altogether as we not be even able to buy from these used guys :sad::sad: !!

I guess no one thought about this from the above angle :p !!

Am not Joking when I say the above so guys please understand the seriousness of the matter ;) !

Now coming to a question which is more relevant to (perhaps others too) Do they have any LP's of Artists like Allan Taylor,Livingstone Taylor,James Taylor,David Munyon ??? Some world Artists ??

Regards.

I think the pricing will continue to be in the 800-1500 range. The US prices for these vinyls are from $18 -$30.

I came across 3 Lps at Reliance Ambience Mall, Gurgaon yesterday but the prices were insane starting from 4.5k and the titles which they had were Beetles and some other mix titles, they were all directly imported ones but the prices and non avaliability of variety turned me off.

THanks! - It seems others are quoting starting prices of 800 which seems more reasonable - let me check out some stores over the coming weekend :yahoo:

I asked a guy at planet M if he is planning to stock LPs anytime soon and he looked at me as if I have come from planet V(inyl).

I asked a guy at planet M if he is planning to stock LPs anytime soon and he looked at me as if I have come from planet V(inyl).

:lol: - the moment we enter Planet M is ... hmm .. is another planet, at least we are on earth.
These gentlemen dont even know that some of the DVD movies are released in DTS and some on DD, while few come with both version - i usally prefer the DTS version.
I wonder, if they have ever seen an LP in their life.:rolleyes:

I have inherited a 'Garrard' turntable from my father.:eek:hyeah:

I took it to Torvin at Ritchie street. They said that the "Idling wheel" has to be replaced and that they are unable to source it.

Can anyone help me please:sos::sos:

hi captrajesh,

what is the model number of the garrard? idler wheels are freely available on ebay and from select stores on the net. do a search idler wheel garrard +model number. sorry i forget the specific names right now.

regards

I have inherited a 'Garrard' turntable from my father.:eek:hyeah:

I took it to Torvin at Ritchie street. They said that the "Idling wheel" has to be replaced and that they are unable to source it.

Can anyone help me please:sos::sos:

Hi captrajesh,

Could you please start a separate thread about this, and let us focus on the availability of brand new vinyl?

Thanks,
Sharad

Hi,

I've been following this thread from the beginning and after your entry with even more interest !!

Am very glad that you've managed to do something which all others failed :clapping: ! But can you please ask these companies to be sane and price the LP's accordingly so that we Less Morals can buy it too :eek:hyeah: ???

Because if they don't price it appropriately there's a grave danger lurking which will render all Us music lovers incapacitated !!

The thing is now that these big brands are bringing in LP's and pricing it at such MRP's,the small time folks who used to sell Old LP's at somewhat ok price of less then 200 or so ( based on Mint condition,good condition etc ) will now start to charge on the same lines and will give excuse pointing towards the new LP's Sold at these prices !!

So in that case we not only will lose the ability to buy new one (which as I mentioned earlier is bit too much for me) but also write off the purchase of LP's altogether as we not be even able to buy from these used guys :sad::sad: !!

I guess no one thought about this from the above angle :p !!

Am not Joking when I say the above so guys please understand the seriousness of the matter ;) !

Now coming to a question which is more relevant to (perhaps others too) Do they have any LP's of Artists like Allan Taylor,Livingstone Taylor,James Taylor,David Munyon ??? Some world Artists ??

Regards.

Way back in 1988, I paid Rs. 50 for a brand new Indian pressing of Bryan Adams Reckless. A couple of years before that I paid about the same for Scorpions Love At First Sting, Tina Turner Private Dancer.

I spent yesterday evening with Malvai, who played the perfect host and played some great Miles and Monk and was telling me that a guy in Delhi was selling used Floyd DSOTM for Rs. 2000!

While I do not agree with what Reliance is selling it at (but then I do not agree with anything that Reliance does) I think the price range of 800-1500 is absolutely fine for new imported pressings.

There's no such thing as a free lunch.

Hi vinyl,
totally agree with you on the price point. The inflation adjusted price of the vinyls will be around that point if we take RBI price index. do you have any idea if somebody is planning to bring the vinyls in Calcutta?
Thanks.

Mahi,

Call Odyssey, speak to Thilak

AA 6, 2nd Avenue,
Anna Nagar,
Chennai: 600040.
Phone : +91 - 44 - 4261 1471/ 472/ 473 / 474

Ask him if they'll ship to Cal. I do not know if anyone else is carrying them in Cal. But doesn't Free School St. have any old vinyl anymore?

CHECKED VASHI -NAVI MUMBAI RELIANCE DIGITAL!

Nooooooo Vinyl

Sales guys were courteous and nice and must be thinking that "this chap must be on drugs as he is not at all smelling alcohol!":eek:hyeah::eek:hyeah::eek:hyeah:

was telling me that a guy in Delhi was selling used Floyd DSOTM for Rs. 2000!

Hey In 1999 -2000 from a raddi shop in Churchgate I got 2 copies of DSOTM - not in good condition,bought just to frame the covers @ Rs.5 Each!

Checked one sounds good....

In my last 6-7 months hunt collected some vinyl ( player went laupt) from delers and chor bazaar- got some English Gems as
1) Eagles- The Long Run
2) Deepest Purple - Best Of Deep Purpule
3)Syncrocity - The Police
4)Best of Nat King Kole
5) The Singles - carpenters
6) Imagine John Lennon
7)Billy Joel - An Innocent Man
8) Dancing on the ceiling -Linol Richie

Mahi,

Call Odyssey, speak to Thilak

AA 6, 2nd Avenue,
Anna Nagar,
Chennai: 600040.
Phone : +91 - 44 - 4261 1471/ 472/ 473 / 474

Ask him if they'll ship to Cal. I do not know if anyone else is carrying them in Cal. But doesn't Free School St. have any old vinyl anymore?

Hi vinyl,
thanks for the info. Well sourcing used Vinyls in calcutta isn't a problem. I also got some new Vinyls from internet.I am just excited about the prospect of walking into a shop and pick and choose vinyls.I don't know if RPG group is doing anything to stock them in music world. Since they have knowledge in this business.I do very much understand that today's indian music won't appear in Vinyls cause there is no mass market for it.
Thanks.

Hi,

Way back in 1988, I paid Rs. 50 for a brand new Indian pressing of Bryan Adams Reckless. A couple of years before that I paid about the same for Scorpions Love At First Sting, Tina Turner Private Dancer.

Good to know you are hooked tight to this from a long time :)!!

I spent yesterday evening with Malvai, who played the perfect host and played some great Miles and Monk and was telling me that a guy in Delhi was selling used Floyd DSOTM for Rs. 2000!

Great,You are most welcome to drop in to my place for a session with 100% DIY stuff which includes DIY Dome Tweeter and what not (for more details see my signature) ;) !! Well Delhi has always been like that ! Else in Bangalore we were (still are ?) getting used records at the mentioned prices !

While I do not agree with what Reliance is selling it at (but then I do not agree with anything that Reliance does)

That makes two of Us:eek:hyeah: !!!

I think the price range of 800-1500 is absolutely fine for new imported pressings.

Well perhaps if its a worthy one (like some 180g or such) but then how many are (although these person specific but still ) ??

There's no such thing as a free lunch.

Well no one's asking anything for free here,for that we have tonnes of torrents serving Us Lossless FLAC's for Breakfast,Lunch and Dinner :D!! What I want is some reasonable and sane pricing which I think it is too much to ask nowadays in any damn thing (that's why I've taken the DIY route ) So if one understands the point Am trying to make that's all I ask for !!

Last, you have not answered the question of records that I was interested,if its not too much to ask (contradicting my own earlier statement:lol:) can you give me some info !!!

Regards.

Good to know you are hooked tight to this from a long time :)!!

Bro. The transcription deck has been in the family since 1976. Bought new by my dad then. Thanks all the same. I'm glad to see people appreciate now what I was tripping on 35 years ago

Great,You are most welcome to drop in to my place for a session with 100% DIY stuff which includes DIY Dome Tweeter and what not (for more details see my signature) ;) !! Well Delhi has always been like that ! Else in Bangalore we were (still are ?) getting used records at the mentioned prices !

I don't mind recs at 200 bucks a pop, but I'd be more than willing to pay 800-1500 for them.

Well perhaps if its a worthy one (like some 180g or such) but then how many are (although these person specific but still ) ??

See above

Well no one's asking anything for free here,for that we have tonnes of torrents serving Us Lossless FLAC's for Breakfast,Lunch and Dinner :D!! What I want is some reasonable and sane pricing which I think it is too much to ask nowadays in any damn thing (that's why I've taken the DIY route ) So if one understands the point Am trying to make that's all I ask for !!

Downloading music for free is the reason people like me had to move out of music retail and start selling mattresses. You want quality, pay for it. If vinyl makes a comeback, then I go back to music retail. MP3 Cds for 135 rupees is not sane pricing either.

Last, you have not answered the question of records that I was interested,if its not too much to ask (contradicting my own earlier statement:lol:) can you give me some info !!!

These are not available as yet. It all depends on the record label (not brand!!!)

Hi vinyl,
thanks for the info. Well sourcing used Vinyls in calcutta isn't a problem. I also got some new Vinyls from internet.I am just excited about the prospect of walking into a shop and pick and choose vinyls.I don't know if RPG group is doing anything to stock them in music world. Since they have knowledge in this business.I do very much understand that today's indian music won't appear in Vinyls cause there is no mass market for it.
Thanks.

Speak to Lohor Sanyal at the Park Street store. I think he is now the merchandising head. I'll speak to see if RPG is going to reissue some of the old classics like Aandhi, Amar Prem, Aradhna, Pakeezah, Umrao Jaan, et cetc etc. But I have no influence there as they have to make them as opposed to import them like the other labels.

By the way, if you do see a copy of Usha Utthup "Scotch and Soda", please hold one for me. I will pay you if you can send it over.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back