AVR Needed

Actually the cables go deep inside each speaker. will it be advisable to "open up" the speakers to attach new cables?

If you have no other way of doing it, and have to increase the length of the cables, I suppose that is the only way to do it.

Get a good engineer to open up the speakers, and mount terminals connectors at the rear of the speakers and internally use good wires to connect the terminals to the speakers/crossovers. You can use spring terminals or binding posts.

This way you don't have to worry about cable lengths any more.

Cheers

As I said this is a personal opinion. I have no doubt the Yamaha 663 beats the Denon 1909 on movies, but I have listened to both Yamaha 663 and Denon 1909 extensively for music also. My ears tend to lean towards the Yamaha. Unfortunately for Denon, PorFx were not able to demonstrate the 1909 properly. They always had some problem - speakers not available, a shop assistant who could not adjust frequency settings properly, low quality cables etc. The Yamaha, on the other hand, was blessed with the extensive knowledge and capability of Raghu from Decibel.

Over the last 4 weeks I have ordered for both the Denon 1909 and the Yamaha 663 for two different HTs systems I am setting up for my friends. I would again suggest you personally listen to both and pick one that your ears like.

Cheers

Venkat, another newbie query, but I am just a bit unclear.
The person I am dealing with does not seem to have the Yamaha 663, so that is out.
1. So between the Onkyo 606 and Denon 1909, the difference between wattage per channel is significant the Onkyo 606 claims it at 175x7 W/Ch, 6 Ohms and the denon 1909 at 90x7 w per channel. I wonder if there can be such a significant difference, or is Onkyo over claiming the output.
2. Secondly as you probably know Onkyo is known for its heating and buzzing issues, have you felt/heard that, does this make the Denon safer?
3. Finally, I know video upscaling would be done better by a good upscaling DVD player, but for normal sdtv (tata sky) would the video processors in the AVR improve the Picture quality (I have a panasonic PV80 plasma)?
I have heard that the Denon 1909 upscales better.

If you have no other way of doing it, and have to increase the length of the cables, I suppose that is the only way to do it.

Get a good engineer to open up the speakers, and mount terminals connectors at the rear of the speakers and internally use good wires to connect the terminals to the speakers/crossovers. You can use spring terminals or binding posts.

This way you don't have to worry about cable lengths any more.

Cheers

Thanks for ur help. I contacted the local Philips service centre yesterday regrading my Philips home theatre cord extension of the speakers. They said it would be best not to tamper with the default distance as I would not get optimum performance once I extend the length of the cord.

Is this actually true? Or are those Philips guys just bragging that I can't change the cord length?

Should I contact retailers for such audio engineers who would be able to extend the length of the cords?

Thanks for ur help. I contacted the local Philips service centre yesterday regrading my Philips home theatre cord extension of the speakers. They said it would be best not to tamper with the default distance as I would not get optimum performance once I extend the length of the cord.

Is this actually true? Or are those Philips guys just bragging that I can't change the cord length?

This is not correct. In modern AVRs, you can set the distance of the speakers from the viewer. Once set, the AVR uses varying amplitude to ensure that the sound is good wherever the speakers are. Tell the engineer that you can going to use a new AVR, and to just rewire the speakers for you. They are not going to give you an warranty, so how does it matter any way.

Should I contact retailers for such audio engineers who would be able to extend the length of the cords?

If Philips refuses to do the job, contact a good local audio engineering shop and get it done.

Cheers

1. So between the Onkyo 606 and Denon 1909, the difference between wattage per channel is significant the Onkyo 606 claims it at 175x7 W/Ch, 6 Ohms and the denon 1909 at 90x7 w per channel. I wonder if there can be such a significant difference, or is Onkyo over claiming the output.

These figures are correct excepting for the small print. Both amplifiers are equally powered. Let me explain how.

The Onkyo specs are mentioned as '7 ch175 W at 6 ohms, 1kHz, 1 ch driven (JEITA)'. What this mean is that if you 'disconnect' all but one channel you will get 175 watts at 6 ohms. Converted to 8 ohms, this is roughly 120 watts, 1 channel driven. If you take this one step forward and drive two (say front) channels at the same time, the wattage will be roughly 110 watts.

The Denon 1909 is 90 watts per channel at 8 ohms, two channels driven.

Why this confusion? Because US, Europe, and Asia have different rules for the publication of specifications. And the manufacturers and dealers exploit this to their advantage. If you read the detailed specifications of Onkyo or Denon, they would have mentioned all the specs as per the different rules they have to follow in different regions. Our Indian dealers may not know this or even understand this, and may be stupid enough to insist that the Onkyo 606 is 175 watts. It is not.

The dynamic power that Onkyo provides at 8 ohms into two channels is 110 watts, and that of Denon is 90 watts.

2. Secondly as you probably know Onkyo is known for its heating and buzzing issues, have you felt/heard that, does this make the Denon safer?

I have been using an Onkyo for the last one year. It does get hot because of what is called the 'Darlington' technology they have used for amplification. If you use an A/c or not use the amp for more than 4 or 5 hours continuously, there are no issues or danger. If you are very particular, you can use a laptop cooler.

Buzzing? Never heard it in any Onkyo I use or have auditioned.

BTW, Denon also gets hot.

3. Finally, I know video upscaling would be done better by a good upscaling DVD player, but for normal sdtv (tata sky) would the video processors in the AVR improve the Picture quality (I have a panasonic PV80 plasma)?

If you want to scale TV signals you have to use an AVR or a external scaler. A DVD player will not scale anything other than the images on the DVD.

An AVR such as the Denon 1909 would any day outclass the scaling capability of a budget DVD Player such as the Samasung, Philips, Pioneer or LG. If you go to an advanced DVD player such as the Oppo 983, then the battle starts.

If you are using a budget DVD player, and want to scale TV signals also, use the scaling capabilities of an AVR such as the 1909.

I have heard that the Denon 1909 upscales better.

Better than what? I think I have already answered this point.

Cheers

What this mean is that if you 'disconnect' all but one channel you will get 175 watts at 6 ohms. Converted to 8 ohms, this is roughly 120 watts, 1 channel driven.

Hi Venkat, Any specific formula used for 6 ohms to 8 ohs conversion for watts?

If you take this one step forward and drive two (say front) channels at the same time, the wattage will be roughly 110 watts.

The Denon 1909 is 90 watts per channel at 8 ohms, two channels driven.

So how much will be the watts per channel when 5 channels are driven simultaneously. any formula for that? also since these are 7.1 then can you give us a rough estimate of watts per channel when all the 7 channels are driven?

If you are using a budget DVD player, and want to scale TV signals also, use the scaling capabilities of an AVR such as the 1909.

Cheers

Does 1909 upscale to 1080p, Do you have any comments on the upscaling capability/picture quality of denon.

Thanks,
Prakash

Hi Venkat, Any specific formula used for 6 ohms to 8 ohs conversion for watts?

So how much will be the watts per channel when 5 channels are driven simultaneously. any formula for that? also since these are 7.1 then can you give us a rough estimate of watts per channel when all the 7 channels are driven?

Does 1909 upscale to 1080p, Do you have any comments on the upscaling capability/picture quality of denon.

Thanks,
Prakash

No such formula.but the logic-
Check power supply of AVR say 350watt.
If AVR says 100w/ch continuous & 120 max meens You can drive stereo mode easily @ 100w(toatal 200w needed,100+100) At peak stiil you
get 120w(Total 240w,120+120)
In 5.1 mode you can devide 350w(power supply) by 5 to get power/ch-
350/5= 70w per ch.In this case all ch hardly ever sounds together except few moments.Mostly frt & centre works.So 350/3=116 aprox

Same with 7.1

Again logically if 100 w/8 ohm, then 150 for 6ohm & 200 for 4.
But this never happens as amp for 8ohm is designed specifically for 8 & will out put less than 150(may130)for 6ohm.
Secondly again depends on powersupply,spk sensitivity ets.
Onkyo higher models come with 750w power supply & can drive 4ohms easily.

Denon 1909 can upscale to 1080p.

Hi guys,
Denon makes good AVRs, I have been using their AVR since last three year.
Unfortunately, my AVR went into standby mode and Denon's local distributor and service agent M/s PROFX:eek: has still not repaired it due to lack of spare parts.
When I had given my AVR, they had within a day told me that a transistor is blown and it is a minor service. It has now been lying at their service centre for the last 43 days and I have not heard from them since.:mad:... every time I call, they say the parts have not come. I feel even their service guys are not capable and their service centres are inadequate.
I understand that Yamaha, Harmon Kardon's service is better.

Hi guys,
Unfortunately, my AVR went into standby mode and Denon's local distributor and service agent M/s PROFX:eek: has still not repaired it due to lack of spare parts.
When I had given my AVR, they had within a day told me that a transistor is blown and it is a minor service. It has now been lying at their service centre for the last 43 days and I have not heard from them since.:mad:... every time I call, they say the parts have not come. I feel even their service guys are not capable and their service centres are inadequate.

If that is true then I would seriously re-consider getting the Onkyo 606 then the Denon 1909. Have others faced the same problems with Denon, also our thier alternatives to PROFX for servicing Denon in Delhi?
Any good AVR service centers in Delhi? It would be good to know. Thanks

Hi guys,

I have read Denon gives problem more than Onkyo in many products.
I got only problem with my Onkyo that one day it wld not on.No LED on screen.
I opened it,cleaned dust inside & it worked.I m listening to it while posting this reply.

I have read Denon gives problem more than Onkyo in many products.
I got only problem with my Onkyo that one day it wld not on.No LED on screen.
I opened it,cleaned dust inside & it worked.I m listening to it while posting this reply.

These are consumer electronics that have failures as part of the manufacturing process. I am not sure you can make such a generic comment about Denon's (I am not a fanboy).

On the same note, I am not sure how old your Onkyo is, but I have never had to clean dust in many years of owning many AVRs in order to fix display related issues. I am not bashing Onkyo but putting your statement in context.

This depends a lot on your taste in music and movies. But in general, I would use the following order:

1. For Movies

Yamaha 663
Onkyo 606
Denon 1909
Marantz 5003/6003

2. For Music

Marantz 5003/6003
Yamaha 663
Denon 1909
Onkyo 606

All these are of course personal opinions based on hearing these systems, and the kind of movies and music I listen to. I would strongly suggest you audition all of them and then decide.

The Denon 1909 is a good receiver. Just pair them with good speakers.

Cheers

Thanks Venkat C R for your valuable inputs,

Last Year before Deepavalli I was about to purchase SONY Z370 HTB with features almost all the AVR have. It was priced @18k, I thought it would be reduced for new year sale and also due to recession unfortunately they raised the price for New year. I thought for this price I would go for AVR or HTB with AVR. While searching for the price of AVR I found Hifivision.com and this site was very usefull for me to know more about AVR.

I also came to the conclusion for Yamaha which its future proof features, I would like to know the dealers in Chennai where can I audition. I have a plan to visit Chennai in the first week of Chennai before that I would like to know the price of it and availability.

Thank you once again.

:)

I also came to the conclusion for Yamaha which its future proof features, I would like to know the dealers in Chennai where can I audition. I have a plan to visit Chennai in the first week of Chennai before that I would like to know the price of it and availability.

Yamaha receivers are available in many places in Chennai. Some of them are Torvin, Cressida, etc. Unfortunately demos and auditions in these places is usually a challenge. They usually don't have the product you need, or else they use a extremely worn stock demo disc that shows you nothing. They will demo for a few minutes, and then look expectantly at you to write a cheque.

I briefly visited a shop today and was shocked at the lack of knowledge and careless attitude of not one but three gentlemen who were supposedly demonstrating a CD Player to me. The way one of them opened the CD Player and threw a CD into the tray nearly brought tears to my eyes. One would go and increase the volume, and the other would go and reduce. In all this, the potential client was completely ignored. The CDs were thrown all over the table without their jewel cases. And many of them were copied discs. None of them knew the specs, and all they could do was shove a company brochure under my eyes every time I asked for some details. My God!!

If you want to get a good and knowledgeable audition for Yamaha, the best place is Decibel. He will patiently demonstrate the amp with multiple speakers depending upon your tastes in music and movies. He has a good variety of budget as well as high end accessories such as cables, DVD Players, etc. I purchased the 663 from him about a couple of weeks ago for 40K. I believe the prices have gone up. Please get in touch with him for recent pricing.

Mr. Raghunath
Decibel
21, Chittaranjan Road
Teynampet
Chennai - 600 018
99406 72834

[email protected]

Cheers

They usually don't have the product you need, or else they use a extremely worn stock demo disc that shows you nothing. They will demo for a few minutes, and then look expectantly at you to write a cheque.

I briefly visited a shop today and was shocked at the lack of knowledge and careless attitude of not one but three gentlemen who were supposedly demonstrating a CD Player to me. The way one of them opened the CD Player and threw a CD into the tray nearly brought tears to my eyes. One would go and increase the volume, and the other would go and reduce. In all this, the potential client was completely ignored. The CDs were thrown all over the table without their jewel cases. And many of them were copied discs. None of them knew the specs, and all they could do was shove a company brochure under my eyes every time I asked for some details. My God!!

Cheers

Thank you Venkat C R

What you have said is true sir, I walked into the newly opened SONY Centre here, they looked me as if I'm a thief who came to rob from them. The Sales person did not even know the diff. between the Active and Passive Sub Woofer. Also he was not able to explain whether the DVD player connected with HDMI cables will transport audio along with it to the TV. He said to check my self and I found the LCD was connected thro Component Video Cables.

Do you know about the service centre for Yamaha.

Thank you once again.

These are consumer electronics that have failures as part of the manufacturing process. I am not sure you can make such a generic comment about Denon's (I am not a fanboy).

On the same note, I am not sure how old your Onkyo is, but I have never had to clean dust in many years of owning many AVRs in order to fix display related issues. I am not bashing Onkyo but putting your statement in context.

Well I like to enjoy Denon too,but many of our freinds had problem with there service.My AVR is 18 months & dust comes as the road is nearby.

Yamaha receivers are available in many places in Chennai. Some of them are Torvin, Cressida, etc. Unfortunately demos and auditions in these places is usually a challenge. They usually don't have the product you need, or else they use a extremely worn stock demo disc that shows you nothing. They will demo for a few minutes, and then look expectantly at you to write a cheque.

If you want to get a good and knowledgeable audition for Yamaha, the best place is Decibel. He will patiently demonstrate the amp with multiple speakers depending upon your tastes in music and movies. He has a good variety of budget as well as high end accessories such as cables, DVD Players, etc. I purchased the 663 from him about a couple of weeks ago for 40K. I believe the prices have gone up. Please get in touch with him for recent pricing.

Mr. Raghunath
Decibel
21, Chittaranjan Road
Teynampet
Chennai - 600 018
99406 72834

[email protected]

Cheers

Why dont we talk abt other Brands like Sony,HK (harmon kardon) recently pioneer?

Sony DG820(28K) has good review in whatHIFI & good for music too.
Any one knows?

Just bought a denon 2307 , on a discount sale at AV expo, mridul recommended to buy the same,

Well mostly on the forum, most commonly used avr's are the denon, onkyo, yamaha and marantz, hence i have seen discussions happen a lot on those.

Well I like to enjoy Denon too,but many of our freinds had problem with there service.My AVR is 18 months & dust comes as the road is nearby.

You are changing context here - in your earlier post you were referring to quality of the Denon AVR (not service). At the same time you mention issues with LED display that somehow went away when you dusted the interior of your Onkyo - which is puzzling to me by the way. My reply was set in that context.

Now you are speaking about service. Not the same things as you see...

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back