AVR Needed

does this mean that this AVR has a 5.1 channel input and 5.1 channel output via RCA cables? (analog)

The Sonodyne AVR does have 5.1 analogue in, but does not have any 'analogue out through RCA' as you put it.

Frnd, please remember one thing. Amplified output will only be sent to the speakers. If you looking for analogue out that can be processed by another amplifier, it is called pre-out. This is very similar to what comes from your DVD or CD players. These pre outs can be connected to a secondary amplifier, which then drives the speakers. No AVR will give you amplified power through RCA connectors.

Cheers

The Sonodyne AVR does have 5.1 analogue in, but does not have any 'analogue out through RCA' as you put it.

thanks again for the help. I definitely wont go for a pre-amplifier.

now for the amplifier setup.
if the output is not via the 6 RCA cables, how will I connect it to my HT (i think it has a 5.1 analog output. could you plz check the page for me? here's the link: http://www.sonodyne.com/AV-300R.htm ?

I think I am not understanding this right. Here's my conception, please correct me if I'm wrong.

1. I am connecting 6 RCA cable (analog 5.1) from the DVD player to the AVR.
2. From the AVR, I'm connecting 6 RCA cables (analog 5.1) to my HT.

Is this the setup?

Last edited:
I think I am not understanding this right. Here's my conception, please correct me if I'm wrong.

1. I am connecting 6 RCA cable (analog 5.1) from the DVD player to the AVR.
2. From the AVR, I'm connecting 6 RCA cables (analog 5.1) to my HT.
Is this the setup?

The second point is incorrect. As I said, no AVR will give you powered output through RCA analog out. It will either directly drive speakers, or give you what are called pre-outs. These pre-outs will have RCA connections. They have to be taken to a amplifier and then amplified there. Maybe your existing HT can do that. But, for you to have 6 pre outs from an AVR, you are looking at expensive AVRs. The budget AVRs will not have 6 pre-outs.

The easiest thing for you to do is to drive your speakers directly from the AVR and skip your HT completely.

Cheers

The second point is incorrect. As I said, no AVR will give you powered output through RCA analog out. It will either directly drive speakers, or give you what are called pre-outs. These pre-outs will have RCA connections. They have to be taken to a amplifier and then amplified there. Maybe your existing HT can do that. But, for you to have 6 pre outs from an AVR, you are looking at expensive AVRs. The budget AVRs will not have 6 pre-outs.

The easiest thing for you to do is to drive your speakers directly from the AVR and skip your HT completely.

Cheers

unfortunately i cant connect the speakers directly coz the subwoofer is connected to each of them and then the speakers have like these "dead ends" which have a clip system which connects to the HT, i hope you got what i men by that.

so, if i'm getting this right, unless i change my HT, or get a high end AVR, it wouldn't be possible for me to get the amplification.

hmm...i just hope the prices of standard HTS comes down a bit. :(

Last edited:
I am sure there is a solution. Can you post the exact model number of your Philips system with links if any, If not, get some photograps of the rear of the system, the connection part of the Sub, and the rear of one of the speakers.

Cheers

The Model is Philips MMS 5.500i

here's the pictures from the manul of my HT about connectivity.

05032009107.jpg

05032009108.jpg

Looks to me that you'll need to
a. Disconnect the spkr wires from the sub (pic 2). And connect those ends directly to the AVR
b. Disconnect the HT unit completely from the sub. ie all RCAs (pic1)
c. Connect the sub pre-out of the AVR to the sub in RCA on the sub.
Now ideally you have:
a. LG DV388 connected via 6 (5.1) RCAs to the avr.
b. 5 spkr wires connect directly to the avr speaker outs
c. 1 rca from avr to sub (if the avr does not have this, run the sub RCA directly from the LG to the sub)

unfortunately the wires from the speakers dont have plugs, they're just dead ends with +ve and -ve terminals and they are connected to the sub. (its the "clip system")

i dont think that i can connect it to the avr like that.

You mean it's bare spkr wire going into the clip terminals?
Yes, you can connect bare speaker wire to avr's. Banana/spade etc connectors are optional.

hi,

is your avr has a clip type speaker terminals or banana binding post terminals.

1. for clip type speaker terminal you have release the clip and insert the speakers end in the +(positive) and -(negative) as mentioned in avr.

2. for banana binding post terminals you unscrew the binding post and then you have to insert the speakers end in the +(positive) and -(negative) as mentioned in avr.

this way you can connect the five speakers to the avr.this the way.try it and tell how it works.

cheers

budget:50,000(can rise abt 20%) for avr ,speakers(like 5.1)
music:movies=70%:30%
music:mostly rAhman kind of music ,
dil chahta hai,
hotel california,eric clapton
slow rock,
western classical,
hip hop
movies:italian job(backround score is very good),suspense movies,stage programs

(musical which takes palce in big stadiums)
room:(length,breadth,height)(18,12,10)
which dvd player?
which amplifier?
suggest any other than wharfedale diamond 9 series if u like?
as i've decided to go for wharfedale speakers for it's value for money and quality

after getting it's review for diamond 9 series(and it's value for money)

preference:
1.crystal clear sound without distortion in low ,mid,high ...range
2.with good surround and good bassfor hip hop
3. good service avilable in delhi in case there is any need of that
4. hassle free system
5.for long run(durable)
6. hdmi feature is not required but should b 7.1
7.i want to pay for quality not for brand value(should b value for

money)
8.want best combination of dvdplayer+avr+speakers
9. very high decibels r not my choice which can even disturb ppl very

far frm my home
please comment on best working avr wid wharfedale speakers diamond 9 series.
which 1 of them (avr,speakers,dvd player)can b bought frm grey market which really don't require much service)

Yamaha AVR are good for Mov & Mus too.I heard 663 with CA99 DVDp ,it sounded close to CDp & st amp combo.

It works good with mov too.

what about it's after sales service and price in india as compared to coresponing marantz models

what about it's after sales service and price in india as compared to coresponing marantz models

Yamaha & Onkyo ,both has good aftersales service.
Yamah is cheaper in service cost & available in Delhi too.

SO SIR PLS SUGGEST YAMAHA models which r 1 of best
and by ur suggestion conclusion comes out as new gen yamaha r all rounder in terms of music and movies .wht abt their compatibilty wid wharfedaledia 9 series

budget:50,000(can rise abt 20%) for avr ,speakers(like 5.1)
music:movies=70%:30%
music:mostly rAhman kind of music ,
dil chahta hai,
hotel california,eric clapton
slow rock,
western classical,
hip hop
movies:italian job(backround score is very good),suspense movies,stage programs

(musical which takes palce in big stadiums)
room:(length,breadth,height)(18,12,10)
which dvd player?
which amplifier?
suggest any other than wharfedale diamond 9 series if u like?
as i've decided to go for wharfedale speakers for it's value for money and quality

after getting it's review for diamond 9 series(and it's value for money)

preference:
1.crystal clear sound without distortion in low ,mid,high ...range
2.with good surround and good bassfor hip hop
3. good service avilable in delhi in case there is any need of that
4. hassle free system
5.for long run(durable)
6. hdmi feature is not required but should b 7.1
7.i want to pay for quality not for brand value(should b value for

money)
8.want best combination of dvdplayer+avr+speakers
9. very high decibels r not my choice which can even disturb ppl very

far frm my home
please comment on best working avr wid wharfedale speakers diamond 9 series.
which 1 of them (avr,speakers,dvd player)can b bought frm grey market which really don't require much service)

boss there is the yamaha 663 (52k)which is good when want high fidelity but its expensive. Then there is the onkyo 606 (around 34-36k) which has got great SQ and can be paired well with other speakers. And on movies i would rate the Onkyo 8-9/10 and on music 7/10. Bets part is its completely VFM.

I got the Onkyo 606 paired with Onkyo HT230 (5.1) in roughly the same budget as yours. In the future (4-6) months I plan to get a pair of good tower speakers (15-25k) and have a complete 7.1 system is place.

Increase your budget later to get the ps3 - its one of the best blueray cum dvd player in the market and you are future proof (atleast in india) for the next 5 years. Or you can opt for a LG upscale dvd player for roughly 3.5k for now.

I auditioned

for video:
the italian job
quantum of solace
iron man

for audio
A.R. Rahman - Taal, SlumdogM
Indian Classical Instrumental
Metallica
George Michael - Faith

My money for you is for the Onkyo 606 - couple this with your speaker system - should cost the same.

Only thing is Onkyo may run a lil hot - well i had tried the denon 1709 for the same time i.e. around 30 mins each - both well similar - just a minute high for the Onkyo.

In case of delhi i would suggest a A.C. for the hot summer months if you are using the av for more than 2 hrs at a stretch. Winters are good to go.

I thank Anand from AVexcellance (avxindia.com) for helping me out - i had such a dilemma.

Friend08, If you are looking at budget equipment to increase the volume only,
try 5.1 A/V Receiver by DNM Enterprises Mumbai. I remember having seen their advt. in AV Max. The Contact no is 02228474799 and 9820064528. I had been to DNM Factory at ANSA Industrial Estate and met the owner Mr Bajaj long back. Try if they have any 5.1 Model now, may be fit to your requirements.
Regards

no sir high volume is what i don't want at all but i want the clear quality

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back