AVR Needed

You are changing context here - in your earlier post you were referring to quality of the Denon AVR (not service). At the same time you mention issues with LED display that somehow went away when you dusted the interior of your Onkyo - which is puzzling to me by the way. My reply was set in that context.

Now you are speaking about service. Not the same things as you see...

My friend,

Service is required only when the problem occurs.So I am saying both the points.
When I say ,I like Denon meens SQ of stereo is much better than Onkyo.

Onkyo display was not turning on when I press standby/on button.
When I cleaned dust inside,it started working as before.Dust can interrupt digital circuits.This is minor & common with Electronic products,hence advised to keep in AC.

Hi guys,
The product may be the best, but if the service is no good, then it can really kill the brand. I may be digressing from the tread, but this is the real issue when selecting what to buy !:confused:
That's what is happening with Denon. I like Denon and have been very happy with it. The product is built like a tank, but sometimes you do need to approach their service provider, Its this service provided by PROFX:eek: which is questionable.
My denon was repaired by PROFX after 47 days in their service center and I was finally told that the bill was Rs 10,000/=. I had earleir been told that a transistor had blown. So much so for a blown transistor. They never told me ever that the parts are going to cost a packet. One fine morning they told me the repair had been done and I had to cough up the money, Alternatively, they threatened :mad: that they will take out the part and give me back my reciever. All this was done since I had not bought the receiver from them. With the behaviour they showed, I was scared that they might spoil my expensive receiver and therefore bowed down to their black mail.

In the initial year, Sony had a similar approach for products bought directly from outside, but they have now improved a lot and their service is now very good.:p

I too want to buy an AVR/amplifier

My choices are Cambridge audio Azur 640(Version 2) as amplifier or
Onkoyo SR 506 AVR

I listen mostly to music & few movies.

I am thinking that since onkyo 506 is not good for video better to buy a good amplifier in same budget. At least i will be able to listen to some good music.

I am getting Onkoyo 506 at Rs 22000/ & Cambridge audio 640 at Rs 24000/-

somebody shall help me making my choice

thanks in advance

I suggest please also look at Yamaha RXV 663. I recently auditioned and found the SQ excellent.;) I also understand that Yamaha has very good after sales service.

I have Tannoy mercury F1 book self speakers. Philips DVD player DVP 5986 with 1080 p upscaling . Sony LCD 26" TV. & one set of multimedia speaker (Logitech 2.1 with 200 W rms power 40x2 + 120 (subs))

Price of Yamaha 663 is a bit high for me although i have heard that it is lovely product to buy

Hi Bharat,
I came in pretty late in this thread. But if you run thru the thread, you will find lot of information on products given by Venkat and other forum members.:)

Actually a lot would depend on what you intend to do with your system.:confused:
Do you want to build your system for a home theatre use or you intend to listen to stereo music.

The best way to build up a home theatre is to buy the largest possible screen you can buy and then go along on buying the other components as you save up so that you can have the best possible experience within your budget. :cool:

Adding to what you have currently, you would need an AVR, a centre speaker and probably at a later date a set of rear surround speakers. I am not sure whether you could use your logitech for the surrounds at the moment. Probably, continue to use them for your computer.

Invest in a good AVR, You could start at looking at some of the entry level models of Yamaha like the RXV-4 series. ( around 24K)

Hi folks!

actually, i would like to own an AVR which is not very costly. i have many dvds which have quite a low volume, so on my Philips 5.1 channel HT, i have to turn the volume to maximum and get a decent (not sufficient though) sound output.

so, increasing the volume is basically my priority (i dont need quality of sound as I'm quite happy with my current setup). i am quite happy with my current HT except for the fact that its volume doesnt reach the high point i would love it to.

so, here are my requirements.

1. i need an AVR which will be able to increase the volume to a level higher than what my current HT is doing.

2. connectivity: i dont need a hi-fi AVR with a lot of connectivity options. my current HT doesn not have a coaxial/optical/HDMI port. it has RCA ports only.
now the point is, i dont want to change my HT as it would incur huge amount of cost. i would therefore need an AVR which I can connect to my dvd player (LG DV388) via RCA cables (5.1 analog output) and connect it to my current HT via the same RCA cables.

please suggest me an AVR which doesnt cause a serious dent in the pocket. i dont need the quality right now, if the AVR is of the same quality as my HT, I'm more than happy. i am just concerned about increasing the loudness (and keeping in mind the connectivity).

Last edited:
Hi Bharat,
I came in pretty late in this thread. But if you run thru the thread, you will find lot of information on products given by Venkat and other forum members.:)

Actually a lot would depend on what you intend to do with your system.:confused:
Do you want to build your system for a home theatre use or you intend to listen to stereo music.

The best way to build up a home theatre is to buy the largest possible screen you can buy and then go along on buying the other components as you save up so that you can have the best possible experience within your budget. :cool:

Adding to what you have currently, you would need an AVR, a centre speaker and probably at a later date a set of rear surround speakers. I am not sure whether you could use your logitech for the surrounds at the moment. Probably, continue to use them for your computer.

Invest in a good AVR, You could start at looking at some of the entry level models of Yamaha like the RXV-4 series. ( around 24K)

where i can buy yamaha receiver. any online website. coz i live in bihar.

You must first audition whatever you buy.... coz finally its your ears which are going to be the best judges.....
I am not sure of retailers in Bihar.

You must first audition whatever you buy.... coz finally its your ears which are going to be the best judges.....
I am not sure of retailers in Bihar.

i donot have any option but to relay on the feedback of others. anyway i am thinking to wait a bit more as prices to cool down a bit. i have heard that prices has increased by almost 30% in last few months. Considering the recession in all spheres of life i am sure prices will come down.

i checked out all the yamaha avrs on the sumaria site. but none of them has the analog 5.1 (via RCA cables) sound output. that would have come in handy.

actually my HT doesnt have a coax/optical output.

i checked out all the yamaha avrs on the sumaria site. but none of them has the analog 5.1 (via RCA cables) sound output. that would have come in handy. actually my HT doesnt have a coax/optical output.

If you look at any branded brand that has 6 analog inputs and 6 analog outputs, you are looking at a minimum of 30,000 or maybe even more. Analog inputs/outputs in AVRs are considered a premium and are available only in the high end models. Most budget models stick to digital I/O.

Why don't you look at a simple 6 channel amplifiers made by Indian companies? There have been various discussion threads on this. I know of Audiocraft in Chennai who does make such amplifiers. If you are friendly with a local brand, he may be able to make a simple sic channel amplifier for under 20K or so.

Another thing you can do is to get a simple 2 channel amplifier (such as Norge 1000) and increase the power to the front L&R. Nearly 75% of all 5.1 sound is focussed on these channels. Actually if you can get an inexpensive 3 channel amplifier, that would be the best.

Cheers

thanks a ton! :)

could you give me any names of these indian brands? how can i get them if i'm not from chennai, or if i live outside chennai? btw are they good, like will they work for a sufficient amount of time?

Last edited:
thanks a ton! :)

could you give me any names of these indian brands? how can i get them if i'm not from chennai, or if i live outside chennai? btw are they good, like will they work for a sufficient amount of time?

Well, the known companies are the following:

1. Sonodyne (Kolkatta)
2. Pulz ((Mumbai - bit expensive)
3. Norge (Mumbai - well rated)
4. Audiocraft (Chennai - very well priced and good SQ)

I have heard the Audoicraft products and their sound for movies is good. They also make a 3 channel amplifier which will be the best bet for you (Front L&R, Centre Channel)

All these products are made in India, so getting them serviced will be easy. Don't worry, they will work for a very long time. I know of friends who have been using Sonodyne products for over 15 years !!! Mark of Audiocraft was ready to give a lifetime warranty !! So no worries on that count.

There are various threads on these amplifiers. Please search and peruse them.

Cheers

I have checked out the Sonodyne site and they do indeed have a lot of showrooms in Kolkata. (I'm from Kolkata).

I have checked out one particular avr, which is the AV300R. (here's the link: Home Audio > AV Series)

here's whats written about the audio output of this particular AVR.

Selectable input (Audio)
Analogue stereo - 7 (1 on front dial)

Output audio
Speaker (binding post) - 6
subwoofer - 1
headphone - 1

does this mean that this AVR has a 5.1 channel input and 5.1 channel output via RCA cables? (analog)

i have verified that the price is around 15-16K, which very much fits into my budget.

btw, i wont be using the AVR for any video upscaling. as you have previously mentioned, the upscaling done by dvd players such as LG DV388 is quite good.

btw, whats a "pre-amplifier?" should i be needing it?

Last edited:
Thanks.

i checked the site. It has got a good collection but prices are a bit high. They are not giving any special discount as such. buying directly from the dealer will be a bit cheaper i guess.

You can deal with demo pieces & get discount with warrenty.

Back