AVR Upgrade and HDCP 2.2 Confusions - Help Reqd

KBS

Hello All,

I've recently upgraded my display to 4k TV ( Samsung 48 HU8500) which supports HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2.

Now, I am in market to upgrade my AVR. Most of AVRs (except Onkyo) in the market support HDMI 2.0 but NOT HDCP 2.2. ASFIK commercial 4k content (like BD 4k, 4k streaming, etc ) can't be watched without HDCP 2.2 in entire chain (Source --> AVR -->TV).

My budget is around 80k

* What is optimum solution?
* Should go with Onkyo 838 which suits my budget and HDCP 2.2 support?

Please suggest .

When it comes to HDCP 2.2 the options for AVR's is fairly limited as of now. Onkyo is doing it and a few Sony receivers also. Ideally, you should wait till the standard becomes mainstream and is incorporated by other manufactures. By next year it should be fairly standard on the spec sheet.
Alternatively you could get any receiver you want and eventually when the 4k blueray players come in they should most probably have 2 HDMI out one for display and and for sound to connect through older receivers older receivers.

Thanks

Your alternative solution gives some hope.

1) But how about 4k streaming and Satellite connections like TataSky?

2) Currently I am using Onkyo 606, but not satisfied with overall Sound Quality. If I upgrade to Onkyo 838, will it make day and night difference?
OR is only a more power with almost similar sound signature.?

3) I am getting deal on Pioneer LX58 (around 80k) & LX87 (around 115k) both don't support HDPC 2.2, is it worth considering over Onkyo 838?

When it comes to HDCP 2.2 the options for AVR's is fairly limited as of now. Onkyo is doing it and a few Sony receivers also. Ideally, you should wait till the standard becomes mainstream and is incorporated by other manufactures. By next year it should be fairly standard on the spec sheet.
Alternatively you could get any receiver you want and eventually when the 4k blueray players come in they should most probably have 2 HDMI out one for display and and for sound to connect through older receivers older receivers.

I think we cannot combine a hdcp 2.2 compliant device and a non compliant device. If i remember correctly, the whole device chain should be HDCP2.2 compliant to work with a HDCP 2.2 material. 4K player, display device and the processor or receiver.
Correct me If am Wrong.

mano fernando

Not really. The 4K blueray player which is going to be HDCP 2.2 complaint will send video signal through the HDMI video out to a HDCP complaint tv. Sound would pass through the second HDMI to a receiver. HDCP is a copy protection designed to create a secure connection between the source and the display.
You are right that the whole chain has to be HDCP complaint but only if video signal is passing through all of them.

Does it mean that content protection not applicable to sound. ? Is it safe to assume that 4k BDP will be able to separate audio and video and send them 2 different HDMI outs. ?

I would like like to assume its similar to when a 3d enabled blueray player with 2 HDMI out ports can send a 3d video to a 3d enabled tv and the sound to a non 3d or old receiver.
But then again the HDCP technology is still not out there so we can only speculate about how its going to function.

Thanks a lot. You might be correct. Lets see.

As I said earlier, Currently I am using Onkyo 606, but not satisfied with overall Sound Quality. If I upgrade to Onkyo 838, will it make day and night difference?

More robust sound and much better scale but most likely similar signature. Demo and you ll know how much better it is to your current setup.

1.HDCP 2.2: What you need to know - CNET

2.No weak links allowed in the signal chain
The HDCP 2.2 issue doesnt just apply to Ultra High Definition TVs and video sources it affects any other components in the signal chain. If you run your HDMI connection through a home theater receiver or sound bar, itll need to be HDCP 2.2 compliant, as well. Any device in the chain that prevents the HDCP digital handshake from happening will prevent you from seeing a 4K image.

The above statement is from What you need to know about HDCP 2.2

thank you
Mano Fernando

Like I said, the technology is still not out . Lets wait and see what comes out of it.
Also, the copy protection is limited to 4k content and current gen 1080p media will work just fine. So it all depends upon what your source preference is. But yes, if you in the market to buy a receiver just for the sake of future proofing if nothing else it is best to delay the purchase.

Last edited:
Thanks

2) Currently I am using Onkyo 606, but not satisfied with overall Sound Quality. If I upgrade to Onkyo 838, will it make day and night difference?

3) I am getting deal on Pioneer LX58 (around 80k) & LX87 (around 115k) both don't support HDPC 2.2, is it worth considering over Onkyo 838?
Need some more advice on this.
Any expert advice is highly appreciated.
Those who have used or auditioned them. Please help me to decide.

Thanks

Have not used Pioneer so cannot say.

Ditto for Onkyo 838, but I'm very much satisfied with my Onkyo 616 and I also have an older Onkyo HTIB that I cannot find any fault with. Unless tested with the same equipment and in the same environment (your home with your existing equipment) its hard to even guess how much of a difference the upgrade will make. Best option is to ask for home demo and then make a call based on that.

Coming to 4K, way too much misinformation from what I see. Yes, HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2 are a must, but its only from the perspective of Hollywood and primarily Blu-ray. To my knowledge it has not been implemented yet as I understand folks are watching cricket in 4K and I did see Marco Polo in 4K a while back on Netflix.

However, this is what you need to consider when buying equipment. Does it have HDMI 2.0, HDCP 2.2., and HEVC? All the TVs from 2014 onwards have them so as long as the set top box is compliant you will have no issues watching 4K content on your TV. This also is true for Netflix and other streaming content.

The only issue is for Blu-rays (and the 4K Blu-ray standard has not even come into existence yet). If you plan to buy a lot of 4K Blu-ray discs then HDMI 2.0, HDCP 2.2., and HEVC becomes a must for the AVR and the player and the entire chain. If you don't plan to buy 4K Blu-rays and plan to use your existing 1080p Blu-ray collection or even DVDs then you don't need equipment supporting HDMI 2.0, HDCP 2.2., and HEVC. Only a TV supporting HDMI 2.0, HDCP 2.2., and HEVC is required for streaming content and as I said all TVs from 2014 onwards have support for HDMI 2.0, HDCP 2.2., and HEVC.

Myself, I buy a lot of Blu-rays and will definitely be replacing a good chunk of my movie collection with 4K Blu-rays so yes I will be going for equipment with HDMI 2.0, HDCP 2.2., and HEVC for the entire chain.

Folks on the other hand not planning to replace their movie collection with 4K Blu-ray (availability itself will be a huge factor as so many of my favorite movies are only on DVD and not on Blu-ray so I don't hold much hope for them being available in 4K Blu-ray) don't need equipment with HDMI 2.0, HDCP 2.2., and HEVC. Only a 4K TV with HDMI 2.0, HDCP 2.2., and HEVC support is necessary for online streaming and that's far off on the horizon too from what I see. I've been holding off on PS4 till it comes with a 4K player and from what I see, I'll be waiting a while. Nothing else supports 4K playback at the moment, most of my streaming media and equipment (PS3, Roku, BDP, TV, HTPC) are 1080p. I've only seen Marco Polo in 4K and plan to watch Daredevil in 4K. That's the extent of 4K availability right now. Some shows on Amazon, but they are charged per season or per episode so not exactly feasible for streaming even for Amazon Prime customers like me.

Need some more advice on this.
Any expert advice is highly appreciated.
Those who have used or auditioned them. Please help me to decide.

No experts here... only enthusiasts.

Thanks. You said people are watching 4k cricket without HDCP 2.2. Does this mean satellite TV do not demand for HDCP 2.2 and HEVC?

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back