Back to tubes

Some new racks for my main system, with 15mm perspex shelving/aluminum supports made by Ali. They look excellent and more importantly they are very inert (from a vibration stand point) and at-least to my ears this appears to be helping the components placed on them perform to their full potential.
Cheers,
Sid

Attachments

• IMG-20170117-WA0001.jpg
    IMG-20170117-WA0001.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 342
Some upgrades to my long suffering HT:lol:. My HT was on the back burner for a long while while I concentrated on my 2 channel system (both time and finances). However since I now have multiple stereo systems and many multiple idle stereo components (which are becoming very difficult to sell for a decent price, as buyers want them for next to free), I decided to work on upgrading my HT step by step. First was my speakers which are the Paradigm Studio v3 series - about 8 years old now. I really love these speakers especially for HT, they are smooth not at all fatiguing - but detailed all the same, the ADP 470 surrounds really spreading the surround effects around superbly in my small room. After a bit of research, I ended up getting the M&K 950 series of 5.0 speakers. I had heard M&K from the past 10-15 years at various shows - and really liked them - but was not keen at that point as they would not suffice for 2 channel duties (I owned Atlantic technology speakers for a while in the late 90's which had a similar approach - great on movies and average on stereo music) - it would not matter now as I have had separate systems for movies & music for a while now. I also decided to upgrade my media player from the AC Ryan play on HD. Again with some research I zeroed in on the Pop corn hour A-500. I tested it out and it is a phenomenal performer both in sonics and PQ. The black levels with my Epson 8350 are so superior compared to the Ac Ryan, that just that one feature justifies the upgrade. Lastly on the projector - I have a Epson 8350 which is about 3 years old and 1200 hours on the bulb. My first instinct was to get a 4k projector, but the lack of media support yet dissuaded me and I decided to get a new bulb for the Epson - which still puts out a phenomenal 1080p picture with added excellent brightness of the new bulb. Lastly I had bought a pair of SVS sealed 12" subs sometime ago, and for now I will stick with them as they sound excellent. Future upgrades 4k projector, panamorph lens along with 2.4:1 screen.
Cheers,
Sid

Attachments

• mk.jpg
    mk.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 289
  • popcorn.jpg
    popcorn.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 294
Last edited:
So over the past few days I hooked up the M&K system and watched 3 movies. Undoubtedly these are much more superior to the the Paradigm Studio V3 set they replaced. The biggest difference to my ears is the surround 95t tripolar, which produces a much more diffusive and prominent surround field compared to the adp 470 v3 dipolars. Watching "The Free state of Jones" last night, the Mississippi swamp where the people hide out was ultra realistically portrayed with all the bird calls and night sounds. I have not heard such a surround depiction before, sounds were all over the back half of the room. Next is the excellent front stage cohesiveness of the 3 LCR 950's, when sounds panned between them. I have placed the Ctr. LCR on its side due to placement constraints, but I can imagine how great it will sound if placed upright in the same plane as the L&R. Anyways I think these speakers are excellent and I am very happy with them.
Cheers,
Sid

Last edited:
I really can't take pics of the front LCR's in one frame because my stereo speakers block the view, however here I will post them individually. Also the speakers are relatively small and light compared to my paradigm studio series - I have included a pic of the paradigm studio 570cc v3 (weighs 20kg) for comparison - so they are easy to setup, but the small size evidently does not impact their performance.
Cheers,
Sid

Attachments

• mk_ctr.jpg
    mk_ctr.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 220
  • mk_lcr.jpg
    mk_lcr.jpg
    5.6 KB · Views: 220
  • lcrr.jpg
    lcrr.jpg
    5 KB · Views: 220
  • mk_sur.jpg
    mk_sur.jpg
    6.3 KB · Views: 222
  • mk_paradigm.jpg
    mk_paradigm.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 222
With the addition of the M&K 950 series and a pair of SVS 12" sealed subs, all the speakers in my HT are now sealed. I am enjoying this type of sound a lot especially the startling gun shots/explosions which have a suddenness & impact that wasn't there when I used ported subs plus I feel the bass is more tactile now wherein I feel rumbles in my listening seat as opposed to a loudness in the room. Secondly I feel that the integration of the SVS subs is much better with the sealed 5 channel speakers - undoubtedly my marantz sr6009 is working harder to drive these 4 ohm speakers, but it is doing so quite nicely.
Cheers,
Sid

Last edited:
I have been messing with usb output from my music pc from the past 2 years, recognizing that it is the weak link in a computer based setup. And to that end I have tried sotm, paul pang and uptone audio offerings both internal and external devices to improve the signal. Of all these I preferred Sotm the most, solidly built and sounding the best. More recently when I purchased the Chord Hugo TT dac, I couldn't discern much improvement with the uptone regen, and infact I felt the SQ was much better without the regen. Few days ago I bought a Sotm tx-usbhub external, which is nothing but an external usb hub that improves the signal from the computer usb out. I can definitely hear this little device making a significant improvement even with the Hugo TT. To me the sound is more analog like, with a warmish tone. I am really liking it and for approx. $370 I believe it is a great VFM.
Cheers,
Sid

Attachments

• sotm.jpg
    sotm.jpg
    5.2 KB · Views: 154
Last edited:
About 15 years ago in the US I bought a sunsui tu717 tuner along with a marantz 2270 receiver. I loved these vintage components, especially the tuner that gave me some wonderful broadcasts from NPR jazz station (I had it aligned and tuned professionally - also owned a Sansui TU919 breifly but preferred the 717). In fact I fell in love with jazz as a genre after listening to these broadcasts. So I always felt a lot of affection to these 70's tuners. Recently when FM Suman Homroy put his marantz 104 for sale I immediately jumped on the opportunity to acquire it. Amazing how nice these old analog tuners sound. I wish there was better programming, but enjoying it regardless.
Cheers,
Sid

Attachments

• marantz_104.jpg
    marantz_104.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 117
Last edited:
you beat me to it :)

Sorry Mpw, I have a weakness for the 70's components, especially marantz and Sansui. Anyways I am sure something else will come up. If any of the Fm's reading this have the sansui Tu717 or 919 they want to let go, do shoot me a PM. I would be very interested.
Cheers,
Sid

Sorry Mpw, I have a weakness for the 70's components, especially marantz and Sansui. Anyways I am sure something else will come up. If any of the Fm's reading this have the sansui Tu717 or 919 they want to let go, do shoot me a PM. I would be very interested.
Cheers,
Sid

no problem sid... happy for you.

I had few sansuis in the past. They are nice. But I still love my humble Marantz 1060. Wonderful little amp.
Regards.

I recently acquired the Lyric TI100 mkii integrated amplifier. I also asked for the preamp. out option. This amplifier has one of the best build quality I have seen in the recent past, miles ahead of the Line magnetic that I owned prior to this. As a preamp. it is sounding wonderful, very resolving and transparent with great frequency extension on both sides. Also somewhat of a surprise was the ease at which the 18 watt output drove my Ascendo's. Another excellent buying experience from Jochen Semler as well.
Cheers,
Sid

Attachments

• lyric_1.jpg
    lyric_1.jpg
    7.3 KB · Views: 190
  • lyric_2.jpg
    lyric_2.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 196
  • system1.jpg
    system1.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 185
Last edited:
I recently acquired the Lyric TI100 mkii integrated amplifier. I also asked for the preamp. out option. This amplifier has one of the best build quality I have seen in the recent past, miles ahead of the Line magnetic that I owned prior to this. As a preamp. it is sounding wonderful, very resolving and transparent with great frequency extension on both sides. Also somewhat of a surprise was the ease at which the 18 watt output drove my Ascendo's. Another excellent buying experience from Jochen Semler as well.
Cheers,
Sid

Great to see this. I had spoken to Jochen about this some time back. the Lyric and Wall audio seem like some great equipment which are not known as much.

how would you rate the tonal quality? Jochen is one those those dealers on can trust for advice with no vested interest. When i spoke to him about a tube Phono, he is the one who guided me to the Leben Phono despite him having some excellent Phono purely looking at my amplifiers input impedance and hence the match !
I do not know of anyone else who might do that

how would you rate the tonal quality? Jochen is one those those dealers on can trust for advice with no vested interest. When i spoke to him about a tube Phono, he is the one who guided me to the Leben Phono despite him having some excellent Phono purely looking at my amplifiers input impedance and hence the match !
I do not know of anyone else who might do that

I have been listening to it for about 10 hours or so, primarliy as a preamp. because that was my original intent of buying this, as its low 0.5 ohm output impedance matches my Symphonic Line Kraft very well. Tonally I would rate it as being neutral in that it does not sound overtly warm or lush like many tube designs. Quite similar in-fact to how my Lamm ll2.1 deluxe sounds.
Regarding Jochen, I agree with you wholeheartedly, he dispenses very impartial advice and buying from him is an absolute pleasure.
Cheers,
Sid

This amplifier has one of the best build quality I have seen in the recent past, miles ahead of the Line magnetic that I owned prior to this. Cheers,
Sid

Jochen told me that this is one reason why Cayin Audio started their premium brand Lyric. The Chinese just can not deliver this kind built quality that is possible in Germany. As you know Cayin Audio is fully built in China whereas Lyric is fully made in Germany. Line Magnetic is also built in China.

Jochen told me that this is one reason why Cayin Audio started their premium brand Lyric. The Chinese just can not deliver this kind built quality that is possible in Germany. As you know Cayin Audio is fully built in China whereas Lyric is fully made in Germany. Line Magnetic is also built in China.
To be honest my main concern while buying a high end product (above USD$5000) is customer service. Of-course I do look at the build quality/sound quality which is very important - but support is also what I count on, especially for tubed components - like replacement tubes etc. Sadly this service is missing from 95% of so called high end audio products sold in India. Either the distributor does not care, does not know, is not bothered after making the sale etc. or even worse even the manufacturer does not care as India is a small market. In this scenario I have decide to buy new products only from distributors/manufacturers who are going to provide that service - Jochen/and his brands is definitely one amongst a few handful of them. If the distributor/manufacturer wants to treat this market as a secondary/third world market then I refuse to buy anything from them. I recently deferred the purchase of a 7 lac dac because I had a bad experience in terms of after sales service (replacement tubes etc)from the manufacturer from whom I had bought close to 10 lacs worth of components in the past. I rather spend my hard earned money on products whose manufacturers care about their customers. There are many high end audio manufacturers/distributors and they need to earn my business not the other way round and in turn I will give them a lifetime worth of business.
Cheers,
Sid

Last edited:
I ordered a lamp kit for my marantz 104 tuner and now it looks lovely with that brilliant marantz blue. The old lamps in the dial were burnt out/dimmed. I have to yet figure out how to replace the one in strength meter, looks quite complex. I also want to have the top cover repainted, there are some scratches etc. and also clean the face plate which has small stains etc. Any tips please? Also I want to buy a FM dipole antenna. Is this any good?
http://www.amazon.in/Parts-Express-...=1493528205&sr=8-4&keywords=fm+dipole+antenna
Cheers,
Sid

Attachments

• marantz1.jpg
    marantz1.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 113
  • marantz2.jpg
    marantz2.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 113
Last edited:
Thanks Malvai, it sounds great as well. I wish there were more music options though in FM.
Cheers,
Sid

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back