Back to tubes

Sidvee, congrats on the Lyric and Marantz. Would you know how different are Lyric and Cayin? Is it the build quality or Lyric uses better transformers and other components.

Sidvee, congrats on the Lyric and Marantz. Would you know how different are Lyric and Cayin? Is it the build quality or Lyric uses better transformers and other components.

Thanks AVM. Regarding Cayin & Lyric I believe both. Even the tubes are hand selected by Lyric and warranty on tubes is 1 year which I believe is much longer than industry standard which is typically 3 months.
Cheers,
Sid

Cayin is mass-produced by factory workers in China. When one looks at the size of the Cayin factory building in China, one can well believe that mass-production is going on there.

Lyric is hand crafted by Mr. Stefan Noll (one of the two Lyric owners) in Germany only. According to Jochen he assembles approx. 1 amp per week. The parts used in these amps are all top class and hand selected. Mr. Noll also does the R&D for Cayin. That's why there is this connection between Lyric and Cayin.

I have heard Cayin before, and owned one few years ago. They are very good amps. for their price but what I am hearing from the Lyric is in a different league. I used to own the Line Magnetic LM501 IA prior to this as well and while the topologies are different push pull vs single ended, low power vs high power etc., again I feel that the Lyric is much more superior in sound quality.
Cheers,
Sid

I have heard Cayin before, and owned one few years ago. They are very good amps. for their price but what I am hearing from the Lyric is in a different league. I used to own the Line Magnetic LM501 IA prior to this as well and while the topologies are different push pull vs single ended, low power vs high power etc., again I feel that the Lyric is much more superior in sound quality.
Cheers,
Sid

My main use for the Lyric is as a preamp. And in that function it is doing an amazing job. Over the long weekend I compared it to the Parasound JC2 preamp - which in its own right is an exceptional pre - Stereophile Class A rated etc - The Lyric stomped all over it, no match at all. I had a Lamm LL2.1 deluxe pre - highly rated again Stereophile Class A etc., to be honest the Lyric by virtue of its low output impedance has bettered the Lamm as well in my setup. The Symphonic Line Kraft 250 which I use as a power amp. has relatively low i/p impedance around 10k ohms and the tube pre's that will work well with this iconic amp. are just a handful and quite expensive - $10k and above, and in that respect the Lyric Ti100 Mkii is easily the best I have heard in my system (and it is an integrated amp. to boot) I hope this brand gets the recognition that it is due.
Cheers,
Sid

Last edited:
I ordered a lamp kit for my marantz 104 tuner and now it looks lovely with that brilliant marantz blue. The old lamps in the dial were burnt out/dimmed.
Sid

Looks absolutely awesome! No digital/LCD can evoke the kind of emotions that an analogue dial/meter can! .......one of the reasons why I am still holding on to my 'past expiry date' amplifier with dual VU meters (from Enbee - made by Mr Nakra of Delhi)

On a different note, congratulations on the Lyric amplifier.

best,
apk

Last edited:
Looks absolutely awesome! No digital/LCD can evoke the kind of emotions that an analogue dial/meter can! .......one of the reasons why I am still holding on to my 'past expiry date' amplifier with dual VU meters (from Enbee - made by Mr Nakra of Delhi)

On a different note, congratulations on the Lyric amplifier.

best,
apk

I agree apk, yes absolutely. I owned a sansui tu 717, tu 919 , tu 9900, accuphase t-101 etc. I am not too handy with vintage electronics but when I can (afford one) I try to have a ongoing project. Truly enjoy both the listening and the mild refurbishing aspect. And these tuners sound so good!
Cheers,
Sid

I recently got the ATC scm19 v2 speakers for my second set-up. These are absolutely fabulous sounding speakers. These are my 4th pair of ATC'S having owned the SCM 19v1, SCM7 v1, SCM 11v1. The v2 displays more resolution and the new in house tweeter is a lot smoother. Shown here in my main system.
Cheers,
Sid

Attachments

• IMG_20170601_063122-1.jpg
    IMG_20170601_063122-1.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 303
Awesome sidvee! If I ever tire of my altec 604 8g's, these are the speakers I'd move to meself!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I recently got the ATC scm19 v2 speakers for my second set-up. These are absolutely fabulous sounding speakers. These are my 4th pair of ATC'S having owned the SCM 19v1, SCM7 v1, SCM 11v1. The v2 displays more resolution and the new in house tweeter is a lot smoother. Shown here in my main system.
Cheers,
Sid

Congratulations Sid on the new ATC. You definitely are an ATC guy given the number of ATC speakers you have owned!

BTW, what amplifier do you use to power the ATC?

Also, on a separate note, which one of the ATC stand mounts would you recommend for a smallish living room - roughly 150-160 sq ft? My feeling is that the 11's should be sufficient, but a perspective from an ATC owner will be helpful. Thanks.

best,
apk

Congratulations Sid on the new ATC. You definitely are an ATC guy given the number of ATC speakers you have owned!

BTW, what amplifier do you use to power the ATC?

Also, on a separate note, which one of the ATC stand mounts would you recommend for a smallish living room - roughly 150-160 sq ft? My feeling is that the 11's should be sufficient, but a perspective from an ATC owner will be helpful. Thanks.

best,
apk

Thanks Apk. I am currently using the nuprime Sta9 amps in mono. configuration and I feel they are doing a great job. Yes the 11's are great but the 19 has a slightly better extension in the bass coupled wirh better macro dynamics that presents large scale music more realistically. However given a choice an Atc 11 pair with a great subwoofer like a jl audio will perhaps be even better.
Cheers,
Sid

Last edited:
I heard the Fathoms and they sounded awesome. No idea if they would better REL as I have not heard any REL.
Cheers,
Sid

Thanks. btw, what speakers are on the lyric amp ? 20 watts Single Ended Class A Ultralinear. Sweet !

Last edited:
Thanks. btw, what speakers are on the lyric amp ? 20 watts Single Ended Class A Ultralinear. Sweet !

Hi Square,
I am using the Lyric purely as a tube preamplifier via pre out which is an additional option to the stock unit for around 35k. It has very low output impedance and able to pair with my Symphonic line nicely. In fact I can hear tighter and deeper bass from my speakers with the Lyric even when compared to my previous highly regarded Lamm LL2.1 deluxe pre.
Nowadays I am trying to buy components that have multiple functions because trying to sell and upgrade from purist components - especially higher cost ones in India is becoming very difficult, so in the event they don't sell for a decent price I can deploy them elsewhere rather than taking a steep cut in price. For instance the Ayon Skylla II which I used purely as a DAC in my main setup now is performing fabulously as a Pre-amp in my second setup, as there were no buyers here for this even at 50% off international retail, and it is sounding excellent through the nuprime/Atc's.
Cheers,
Sid

Last edited:
Hi Square,
I am using the Lyric purely as a tube preamplifier via pre out which is an additional option to the stock unit for around 35k. It has very low output impedance and able to pair with my Symphonic line nicely. In fact I can hear tighter and deeper bass from my speakers with the Lyric even when compared to my previous highly regarded Lamm LL2.1 deluxe pre.
Nowadays I am trying to buy components that have multiple functions because trying to sell and upgrade from purist components - especially higher cost ones in India is becoming very difficult, so in the event they don't sell for a decent price I can deploy them elsewhere rather than taking a steep cut in price. For instance the Ayon Skylla II which I used purely as a DAC in my main setup now is performing fabulously as a Pre-amp in my second setup, as there were no buyers here for this even at 50% off international retail, and it is sounding excellent through the nuprime/Atc's.
Cheers,
Sid

Thanks. Have you ever tried running the Ascendos on the lyric directly as an amp? I know it could be a tough load. Just curious.

Thanks. Have you ever tried running the Ascendos on the lyric directly as an amp? I know it could be a tough load. Just curious.

I did try it. The Lyric was satisfactory but not great. Though the Ascendo C8R are rated at 6 ohm/88 db they require good amount of power to sound their best.
Cheers,
Sid

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back