Back to tubes

A new Dac for my second system. The Exogal Comet plus. It is sounding excellent, especially direct into my nuprime amps.
Cheers,
Sid

Attachments

• exogal comet.jpg
    exogal comet.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 304
  • exogal 2.jpg
    exogal 2.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 299
Last edited:
Hi Sidvee

Just curious. What differences are there in the presentation between the Chord Hugo TT and the Exogal Comet Plus?

Hi Sidvee

Just curious. What differences are there in the presentation between the Chord Hugo TT and the Exogal Comet Plus?

Hi Prem,
To me the Comet sounds warmer than the Hugo, but the Hugo is more resolving. Overall I prefer the Hugo as a DAC, but the digital volume control in the Exogal is superbly implemented, so running direct to amps. sounds great - at par with a really good analog preamp.
Cheers,
Sid

Hi Prem,
To me the Comet sounds warmer than the Hugo, but the Hugo is more resolving. Overall I prefer the Hugo as a DAC, but the digital volume control in the Exogal is superbly implemented, so running direct to amps. sounds great - at par with a really good analog preamp.
Cheers,
Sid

So the Chord Hugo TT is doing the peramp duty for the symphonic line power amp?

So the Chord Hugo TT is doing the peramp duty for the symphonic line power amp?

No longshanks, the Chord tt is being used as a pure dac feeding the Lyric ti100 (my unit has optional pre out option) which drives the Symphonic Line in my main system. I am currently using the Comet as a dac/preamp. in my second setup, which has nuprime sta9 monobloc amplifiers. In this setup it was comparable to my Parasound JC2 preamp. which is a highly acclaimed analog preamp.
Cheers,
Sid

Last edited:
Over the weekend I acquired/added a Nuprime Dac10 preamp/dac to my 2nd system. With the volume control from the famed Nuforce p20 preamp., this is an analog preamp combined with a Quad rate DSD DAC. For now I have it connected as a preamp with the Exogal comet DAC, till it burns in and then I will test the DAC section. However just as a preamp it is sounding really excellent. Driving the Nuprime Sta9's this Nuprime setup is a superb separates system with a sound quality that easily approaches systems at many multiples of the asking price of this. I think all the praise Nuprime has been receiving is really well deserved.
Cheers,
Sid

Attachments

• dac10_1.jpg
    dac10_1.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 174
  • dac10_2.jpg
    dac10_2.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 178
Last edited:
Since I got the Lyric Ti100 single ended integrated amp, I have been using it mainly as a preamplifier as my Ascendo's need more power than the offered 18 watts. However Jochen Semler's advice was that I was wasting the capability of the Lyric which does sound excellent as an integrated. Consquently I was on the lookout for a high efficiency speaker as an option. I researched the options available in India, Lyrita, Rethm various DIY designs etc. During this time I happened to visit Jochen in Bangalore and heard Blumenhofer Fun 13 mkII which sounded quite good. However when I heard the (now discontinued) Big Fun 17 which was Jochen's personal pair I was quite smitten. A few months later Jochen decided to sell this pair and I acquired them. Have been listening to them the past couple of days driven by the Lyric. The dynamics are stunning as is the immediacy and presence of vocals, especially female. Imaging and soundstaging are also superb. All in all I am enjoying these thorougly. I have to optimize the placement etc. but they are sounding great where the ascendos were placed. Also Jochen suggested a pair of wooden platforms as the bottom firing horn is placed on carpet, which will enhance the SQ further.
Cheers,
Sid

Attachments

• blumenhofer.jpg
    blumenhofer.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 110
Last edited:
Congrats Sidvee. Will Blumenhofer be your main speakers now?

Thanks Prem. Regarding the Big fun 17's not really, I will still continue to use the Ascendo's but I guess I will alternate depending on my mood and to unleash the capabilites of the Lyric. However one thing is clear the higher end Blumenhofers are really special and maybe down the road I will consider their offerings from the Genuin series or higher. I was considering the Genuin FS3Mk2 prior to the Big Fun 17, but it is at a much higher price point and since I had not auditioned it I didn't want to jump in blind.
Cheers,
Sid

During this time I happened to visit Jochen in Bangalore and heard Blumenhofer Fun 13 mkII which sounded quite good.
Sid

Hi,

congrats to the big Fun 17 speakers. These are fabulous speakers and I heard them several times whenever I visited Jochen.
But I think that the Blumenhofer Fun 13 Mk2 not only sound quite good, like you write. They sound fantastic and at the price point Jochen is offering them it will be very difficult, if not impossible to find speakers that measure up with them.

Hi,

But I think that the Blumenhofer Fun 13 Mk2 not only sound quite good, like you write. They sound fantastic and at the price point Jochen is offering them it will be very difficult, if not impossible to find speakers that measure up with them.

They were good HMV but the Big Fun 17 was better - at-least to my ears. Hence I bought them.
Cheers,
Sid

Hi Sid,

the big Fun 17 are better, no doubt. But they cost also 3 times more than the Fun 13 Mk2. I did not say that the Fun 13 Mk2 are better. But at the price Jochen sells them they are probably unbeatable when you compare them with speakers at the same price point. You say they are just 'good'. But in my opinion they are more than 'just good'. That is what I meant. I look at the price/performance-ratio when I evaluate speakers.

I heard the Fun 13 Mk 2 recently at Jochen. I was very unimpressed with them. At that price point, Bhava might be a better option. Its just a guess because I have not heard the Bhava.

IMO the Merlin bookshelves though not manufactured today since the owner has expired are way superior to the Blumenhofer at that price point of around 1.25-1.5 l

I dont want to create any controversy. Its just my opinion. The higher end Blumenhofers are nice

Last edited:
Hi Sid,

You say they are just 'good'. But in my opinion they are more than 'just good'. That is what I meant.

HMV I guess it is your opinion vs mine and let us leave it at that. I usually vote with my wallet on equipment I like and the Fun13Mk2's could not entice me to do that.
Cheers,
Sid

Last edited:
I heard the Fun 13 Mk 2 recently at Jochen. I was very unimpressed with them. At that price point, Bhava might be a better option. Its just a guess because I have not heard the Bhava.

IMO the Merlin bookshelves though not manufactured today since the owner has expired are way superior to the Blumenhofer at that price point of around 1.25-1.5 l

I dont want to create any controversy. Its just my opinion. The higher end Blumenhofers are nice

Another Fm who came with me to hear the Fun13mk2 ended up buying the ATCSCM11 v2 which is also at the 1.3-1.4 lac price point. And yet another FM I know also wasn't too impressed by the Fun13MkII. Not knowing much about the Blumenhofer range, what little I deduced is that the SQ of the higher end models increases dramatically over the entry level ones.
Cheers,
Sid

Last edited:
Another Fm who came with me to hear the Fun13mk2 ended up buying the ATCSCM11 v2 which is also at the 1.3-1.4 lac price point. And yet another FM I know also wasn't too impressed by the Fun13MkII. Not knowing much about the Blumenhofer range, what little I deduced is that the SQ of the higher end models increases dramatically over the entry level ones.
Cheers,
Sid

Though my post may come off sounding as if there is something wrong with the Fun13mk2, that is not my intent. I spent a good 1 hour listening to them and they sounded good with all genres of music I heard. However for some reason to my ears they did not grab my attention in the way I would have liked and when I heard the Big Fun 17 which I insisted to Jochen to set them up (despite his advising me that they were no longer available), I was bowled over. That being said I would encourage anyone reading to go and listen to them if they are in the market for 1.5 lac speakers and they can decide for themselves. Yes they are different sounding from the various floor standers available at this price range. Jochen is a great host and most importantly imo anyways he is a great asset to the audio community in India.
Cheers,
Sid

Last edited:
One kind request to all Fm's reading my equipment thread. Let us stick to what equipment I have and I encourage all posts related to those - good or bad. Please don't use my thread to promote other equipment etc. Please start your own threads/posts if you want to talk about equipment that I don't own or if your opinion differs from mine on those equipments. I am using this section in the forum simply to showcase what I currently own and my opinions of that equipment and why I chose said equipment over other equipment. I don't want this to become a review/argument section to debate merits and demerits of equipment I don't even own. And lastly I am hardly an authority on audio equipment - there are so many FM's with significantly more evolved hearing/discerning abilities than mine, not to mention significantly more resources to own equipment/and own equipment I can only dream about and also tonnes of more experience than me, so please defer to them if you want opinions on other equipment.
Cheers,
Sid

Last edited:
All in all I am enjoying these thorougly. I have to optimize the placement etc. but they are sounding great where the ascendos were placed. Also Jochen suggested a pair of wooden platforms as the bottom firing horn is placed on carpet, which will enhance the SQ further.
Cheers,
Sid

Good to see you with one of my favourite speakers. I have been enjoying a pair for a few years now.

Good to see you with one of my favourite speakers. I have been enjoying a pair for a few years now.

Yes excellent speakers Square. Regret it took me so long to stumble on to these. I can only imagine how good the Genuin series will sound.
Cheers,
Sid

Last edited:
A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back