Back to tubes

Wow. You have 4 speakers at home. I can never have more than one at my place:)

They are mostly distributed Prem. Since I was reorganizing when the Blumenhofers arrived, I clicked this snap. My main listening room has 2 sets, the stereo pair of either the Ascendo or Blumenhofer and the M&K 5.1 system for movies and my bedroom hosts the ATC's. I usually try to enjoy all of them during any given week, but unfortunately don't have much time these days.
Cheers,
Sid

I had reviewed the Cary 200ts DAC about a year and half ago for Hifitoday.com and liked it immensely. However I couldn't buy it then due to some other commitments, so when I got a chance, recently to acquire one I jumped on it. I really like the tube option on the DAC with which - along with the Lyric Ti100 I have an all tube path to my speakers. Seen here in my main system where I can alternate between the Hugo TT and this DAC.
Cheers,
Sid

Attachments

• cary.jpg
    cary.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 90
  • cary2.jpg
    cary2.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 86
Last edited:
I had reviewed the Cary 200ts DAC about a year and half ago for Hifitoday.com and liked it immensely. However I couldn't buy it then due to some other commitments, so when I got a chance, recently to acquire one I jumped on it. I really like the tube option on the DAC with which - along with the Lyric Ti100 I have an all tube path to my speakers. Seen here in my main system where I can alternate between the Hugo TT and this DAC.
Cheers,
Sid

Lovely. Have you ever tried the dac section in the nuprime dac 10 ? How would you rate it ?

Lovely. Have you ever tried the dac section in the nuprime dac 10 ? How would you rate it ?

Sure Square, I am currently using it as a DAC/preamp for my second system with the Atc SCM19v2. It is an excellent DAC in its own right and perhaps competes with DAC's upto the $3-4k range. I compared it to the Exogal comet and the Cary 200ts. Without getting into a big subjective review I think at its $1500 US retail it is an excellent DSD256 capable - DAC. It is neutral & detailed without any shortcoming of cheaper solid state DAC's - which sound detailed with the added penalty of clinical, sterile signatures along with piercing highs - and when you add its superb analog preamp. into the mix it is a something of a bargain.
Cheers,
Sid

I did some tube rolling in the Cary 200ts yesterday. I tired some NOS GE 12au7's and RCA Clear tops. The RCA's sounded great, I am going to stick with them. Mid range has more body and sounds lush compared to the stock EH tubes that came with the unit.
Cheers,
Sid

Havent read the earlier posts but cant resist asking: Sid have you also tried and compared the RCA 12au7 long black plates ?

No I have not tried the long black plates Yogi. I like the clear tops for now though even the GE's are quite good - I feel the clear tops are little more extended in high frequency where as the GE has a richer midrange. Regardless both are a significant improvement over the EH. Maybe down the road I will try the long plates.
Cheers,
Sid

I am also considering a pair of Telefunken NOS12au7. I heard them once and was pleased by their sound. On the hunt for a good pair.
Cheers,
Sid

Telefunken are supposed to be top rated but some seasoned tube friends say its not much return spending the extra money over the RCA long black plates or Amperex bugle boy even some vintage Mullards.

I keep looking for rolling 12AU7, 12AX7 and EL84. The Tele EL84 NOS costs as much as some cheap vintage EL84 amp itself !

https://www.tubedepot.com/products?utf8=✓&keywords=12au7

I usually buy all my tubes from tube depot. Here used telefunkens and black plates are priced similarly. Yes regarding power tubes NOS are very expensive, anyways to me I find the greatest difference to sound comes from the preamp tubes or preamp section.
Cheers,
Sid

Sridhar, I am sure I have a 12au7 Telefunken pair bought from Brent Jesse. So before you plonk down more, lets figure a way of getting it across. Vivek

Yogi bear, a lot depends on your system and tastes. The Telefunken 12Ax7 cleaned up the Leben 300xs a lot. I also use Russian EL84 which added body and sparkle. The only thing I can say in my defence is that Sridhar seems worse. Vivek

Last couple of days I tested the Cary 200ts direct as a preamp/DAC into my Symphonic line Kraft amp. I have had a few dac's with both digital and analog volume controls in past couple of years and I have tested all of them in this fashion to see if I can get better sound by eliminating the preamp. To my ears in the tube mode, the Cary 200ts is the closest I have come to acceptable sound without a preamplifier. I feel stepping up to some even better NOS 12au7's than the RCA clear top's I am currently using will make the sound still better.
Cheers,
Sid

So this is my recent saga with projectors. For the past 3 years I have been using an Epson 8350 and was enjoying it. Last year when I felt that the bulb had dimmed a bit at 1200 hours, I replaced the bulb and enjoyed the increased brightness for a few more months. Then the itch started to see what new projectors are available. Obviously my first option was 4k. I did a bit of research, the true 4k's were starting at $10k, a little bit beyond what I wanted to spend. Then the pixel shift projectors were an option, I considered the JVC models but they are priced steeply in India. I briefly considered the yet to be released benq w1700, but its lack of veritical and horizontal shift in lens was a big issue as my projector cannot be located 100% in the center of my screen horizontally. Another issue for me was the noise of the projector itself, a lot of the budget models are specd. at 27-35 db at low/high lamp settings, which I feel is too high for my small 14' x 12' room. Next research was availability of 4k media, needless to say, very limited as of now plus the whole HDR/dolby vision thing that is going on. So finally I decided on the Sony Vpl45es, knowing fully well that it is a 1080p model, but it ticked both my requirements of superb lens adjustment and more importantly on low lamp, just 22 db, whisper quiet, much quieter than the epson. I got it home this week, fired it up am thoroughly impressed by the sharp, bright, detailed 1080p picture it is putting out. The picture is so much more punchier than the 8350 though in black levels I feel the Epson may have been superior, but only by a little. I use a gray screen so the contrast ratio is really good. Overall I am very satisfied and will wait for the next 2 years to see what shakes out in the 4k or even 8k arena along with availability of software before upgrading. Some pics of both my projectors, size and weight wise they are similar, but the sony is a lot sleeker. BTW thanks to FM's Sajjad and Sachin who both have these projectors and where I first saw it - in their homes - and began considering it.
One question for Fm's who may read this, I am looking for a manual pull down tab tensioned screen. I know the powered ones have it but wondering if there are any sellers in India who have the manual version. Elite screen sells these but I don't think they sell the manual version here. I need a pull down because my room is dual purpose and for music I have some critical acoustic treatments on the wall where the screen is located and I can store the screen when it is not in use and prevent it from blocking these treatments, however the regular pull downs (I have an elite cinema gray) have issues with wrinkles, creases etc.
Cheers,
Sid

Attachments

• proj1.jpg
    proj1.jpg
    549.4 KB · Views: 37
  • proj2.jpg
    proj2.jpg
    417.1 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
Some screenshots. Perfect brightness in a dark room, black levels are decent and great contrast. Still optimizing the picture to my liking.
Cheers,
Sid

Attachments

• projpic1.jpg
    projpic1.jpg
    717.1 KB · Views: 41
  • projpic2.jpg
    projpic2.jpg
    624.2 KB · Views: 43
  • pic9.jpg
    pic9.jpg
    500.5 KB · Views: 41
  • pic6.jpg
    pic6.jpg
    549.8 KB · Views: 39
  • pic8.jpg
    pic8.jpg
    569.7 KB · Views: 37
Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back